Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Functionality of the Edward III sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Todd Eriksen

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Functionality of the Edward III sword         Reply with quote

I have a copy of the Arms and Armour sword now thought to be Edward III sword. My question to those that have seen or own a copy of the piece is this: Ceremonial or functional? As you read the reviews of the A & A swords, they all get high marks and are very historically correct. If I missed the review on this particular item, I apologize. But when you hold it and look at it, compared to the swords of the time it feels too heavy and the blade is very wide and unwieldy (is that a word). Thoughts, anyone?
Ich Dien
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the review for the A&A Edward III sword: http://www.myArmoury.com/review_aa_edwardiii.html

I'm eager to read other's views on the sword. Myself, well, I like it very much.

You can read about the type of sword in our Oakeshott Type XVIII Spotlight.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matt Phillips

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Thu 30 Mar, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd,

My brother-in-law has the very same sword and I was happy enough to be able to handle it just about a month ago. We may have to agree to disagree about it being too heavy or anything of the sort. I rather thought it felt nice in my hand and that it maneuvered quite well. To each his own I guess. As to whether is was ceremonial or functional, I've read one source from the battle of Crecy describing the king wearing a sword very similar in size and decoration to the historical example and modern-day replica. However I've yet to read that Edward III actually entered the melee himself. So it seems it may have very well been a functional sword that may not have ever been used in anger. I feel A & A did a fine job replicating the original in this case. And I'd find it hard to believe that the good Edward would carry a sword to battle that he thought clumsy or inadequate for action. I know I'm rambling but I rather like the sword and I honestly believe that the more you handle it, it will grow on you.

By the way, I'm editing this real quick because one of these comments may be misleading. I'm not trying to imply that the historical sword was carried at the battle of Crecy. In fact the historic example is believed to have been made at least a couple of years after the battle. What I mean is that it would not have been uncommon for such a king to have carried something as ornate and beautiful to an actual battle. So then my answer to your question in my belief is that it would be a functional sword. But also a sword that was made to be noticed.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt Phillips' comments make good sense to me!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd,

You may want to take a look at this thread from a while back on decoration of historical swords. If I recall correctly, someone commented that just because a sword we have from say the 14th century is very decorative, it does not mean that the sword was designed from the ground up to be purely for cerimonial use. Many very decorative swords are hypothesized to have been swords used in battle and then later decorated to comemorate an even/battle/person. For example, the sword attributed to Charlemagne and The Sword of Saint Maurice in Vienna and probably many others that I can't think of at the moment but I am sure others will probably chime in with other examples.
http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=2574

Alex
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Fri 31 Mar, 2006 8:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I at one time owned an AA Edward 111, I found it to be quite capable for use in pretty heavy stage combat (and a fairly large amount of screwing around.. i'm being honest don't flame me) as for whether the weight was poor on it as I believe was stated before I can say that my observation was that it was quite well balanced and fit my preferences for a sword nicely, I tend to prefer a bit more weight at the pommel than at the blade. so yes it is quite functional, it is also patterned off the original so it should be very close to accurate for that time period.

also I would add that when originally purchased it had quite a sharp blade and it lent it self to some very entertaing mindless destruction of boxes, a metal garbage can, a dresser, and of course the all important small birch tree in my back yard, after all of this the sword did wonderfully, then I ground the edge down and used for its intended purpose.

so the long winded response: i think it is a very pretty, functional sword.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently reclaimed an old trade that is the Edward III blade with the Duke Of Urbino mounts. The blade is a very capable cutter, balanced a bit forward as good cutters often are.

As to the Edward III standard model from A&A, I would worry aboout sweaty handling wearing away the plating after time (I know I rot most plating in no time).

Another tidbit I am wont to repeat is that the textile in the pommel of the original is probably linen because Edward III had bought himself into the Linen Armourers guild. This is not mentioned (iirc) in the Records description but something I found elsewhere doing guild studies. It is conceivable that the cloth was of Edward's own manufacture.

Cheers

GC
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen A Cleeton wrote:
...As to the Edward III standard model from A&A, I would worry aboout sweaty handling wearing away the plating after time (I know I rot most plating in no time)....

I seem to recall (having misplaced my copy of "Records of the Medieval Sword") that the hilt of the original, while showing wear, was in pretty good shape, with the gold plating intact. Also, I have the impression that gold is relatively inert, so that loss of material would come from wear rather than chemical reaction? I suppose it would be worth asking Arms & Armor how heavy the plating is on their replica, and whether they have ever had complaints about loss of the plating, whether due to wear, chemistry, bonding failure, or whatever. (Craig, are you out there?)

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

I seem to recall (having misplaced my copy of "Records of the Medieval Sword") that the hilt of the original, while showing wear, was in pretty good shape, with the gold plating intact. Also, I have the impression that gold is relatively inert, so that loss of material would come from wear rather than chemical reaction? I suppose it would be worth asking Arms & Armor how heavy the plating is on their replica, and whether they have ever had complaints about loss of the plating, whether due to wear, chemistry, bonding failure, or whatever. (Craig, are you out there?)

According to Craig, they plating as heavy as their method allows. I believe it's an electro-plating process. The original Ed III sword had thin gold sheets/foil hammered over the iron fittings which would probably be more durable than an electro-plate. Oakeshott used the term "sheathed with gold" for the pommel. Another method of the day was fire-gilding (make a concoction of gold and mercury, paint it on the item, expose the item to heat, burn the mercury off leaving the gold, cause long-tern brain damage to gilder), but I don't think this was used on the Ed III sword.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Hello Everyone         Reply with quote

Hi all

I hope you are having a good weekend all.

The plating is a commercial plating done by a small shop near us. They have also done some bike parts for Jay Leno.

We ask them to give us as heavy a plate as they can with the process and it wears relatively well. We could also do a custom gold leaf by hand but that would result in about the same thickness and would probably wear a little less well as it is sizing holding on the leaf as opposed to electrochemical bonding (which I am assuming is the commercial plating processes methodology. This being said the gold is thin and soft and will wear with use.

How much it wears is a variable thing from what I have seen with a lot of factors coming into play.

Best
Craig
Chris Olsen

PostPosted: Sat 01 Apr, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree with Craig (I better he has two of my swords right now Laughing Out Loud )
I have a german branch sword that they gold plated for me last year, they finish had held up through a full renaissance festival season, with a fairly large amount of usage in my nice sweaty palms, it has also been drooled on by 9 month old son quite a bit and the finish looks just as good now as the day I got it, with only a small amount of general maintenance on my part.
so if you are concerned for the finish I think that it would stand up to just about any abuse you might throw at it.
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Sun 02 Apr, 2006 8:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad to know the plating seems to hold up pretty well. It is, though, something that I would be considering if in the market. I have the least reaction to well done gold plating but it is stll a problem for me. Eyeglass frames and watches had always been an issue until I simply switched away from plated items.

It is a spectacular sword any would be proud of and if I had one, it would be something better cared for than most of my knock about collection. I could always wear gloves (as I sometimes do).

Cheers

GC

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Functionality of the Edward III sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic