Bearded Axe (In Process)
Hi All,

I'm making a bearded axe for Andy Bain, and I thought I'd share an "in process" photo. This is the first Bearded Axe I've made and so far it is coming along great.

The mild steel eye is forge welded to the high carbon blade section. I've also, included a picture of the original I'm using as inspiration. Unfortunately, my only good picture from the National Museum in Copenhagen is rather blurry. I opted to go with more pointed langets (for lack of a better term) rather than the round ones on the original. These axes do come in many flavors. The body is quite wedged shaped which makes the thing a monster. The blade from tip to tip is 6.5", but it handles like a much more substantial axe. The next step is some final grinding and polishing, then on to hafting it.

I have parts forged out for a second bearded axe of similar dimensions (why make one when you can make two) that will be ready in a few weeks also. So if anyone is interested, send me a PM.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Sweet!!!
Wow!!! Eric that is awesome!!! I love the shape of that axe !!.

Great work man , i can't wait to see that hafted.
Re: Sweet!!!
John Gage wrote:
Wow!!! Eric that is awesome!!! I love the shape of that axe !!.

Great work man , i can't wait to see that hafted.

Me too!!! ;)
Nice!
Yes, that is very attractive-
Though personally I would have liked to see the roundness of the "langettes" perserved as on the original. I can see though how the pointed finish really complement the piece.
Jeremy
Eric McHugh wrote:
The mild steel eye is forge welded to the high carbon blade section.

I'm impressed! Forge welding can be tricky enough (though not too bad once you have some practice) without trying to use two different materials. Using both mild and high carbon steel definately makes that a piece to brag about.

-Grey

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: