German translation help?
I recently purchased a set of German-language reference books covering some of the items in the Kunsthistorisches Museum in Vienna (see here for info). The title is Katalog der Leibrüstkammer (Führer durch das Kunsthistorische Museum ; Nr. 13). What does the word (or collection of words) "Leibrüstkammer" mean? The covers have it broken down as Leib rüst kammer, which according to Alta Vista, translates roughly as "Body Prepare Chamber." :?:

Thanks for any help you can give.

By the way, there's some great stuff in there. :)
Leib means body, but in this case it means something like "personal", which means that this "Kammer" belongs to the King/Emperor. For comparison, a Leibarzt is a personal physician.

"Rüst" as in "Rüstung" = Suit of armour or simply armour.

"Kammer" = chamber

So it could be translated as personal armoury or personal armour chamber.

Hope this helps :)
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
Leib means body, but in this case it means something like "personal", which means that this "Kammer" belongs to the King/Emperor. For comparison, a Leibarzt is a personal physician.

"Rüst" as in "Rüstung" = Suit of armour or simply armour.

"Kammer" = chamber

So it could be translated as personal armoury or personal armour chamber.

Hope this helps :)

I would go with personal armour chamber. As for belonging to the king, then there would be the word koenig, King, Königs, King's or königlich, Royal.

Robt
Thanks, guys! That makes a lot of sense now. Almost all of the armour has a personal attribution to German royalty.

Would Livrustkammeren be a Swedish version of that term? That word is printed under the dust jacket of Lena Nordström's White Arms of the Royal Armoury (Stockholm 1984).
My Swedish-skills are quite limited, but I think you're right. The two words look very similar and since the two languages belong to the same language-family it should be safe to assume that they have the same meaning.
Maybe some of the Swedish people here could chime in and help with that :)
Chad Arnow wrote:
Thanks, guys! That makes a lot of sense now. Almost all of the armour has a personal attribution to German royalty.

Would Livrustkammeren be a Swedish version of that term? That word is printed under the dust jacket of Lena Nordström's White Arms of the Royal Armoury (Stockholm 1984).

Liv= Life or waist or body
rust= part of rustning
Livrust= old svedish for Armoury or possibly Royal Armoury
Kammare= Chamber, room, hall

So Livrustkammaren = The Royal Armoury. (the n in the end of kammaren is sigular specified form)

Martin

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: