Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museums in Toronto? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Museums in Toronto?         Reply with quote

Within a week I am going to visit familie in canada.
They life in the area of Toronto, in Ontario (more or less)
So I am no wandering if there is any (ancient) arms and/or weapons related museum out there that's worth a visit??

Folkert

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) is in Toronto. It has a very nice collection that is fairly well presented. Several of the swords that Oakeshott mentions in the AOW and ROTMS can be found at the ROM. The arms and armor exhibit can be found on the second floor although there are (or were it's been a few years) some interesting pieces in the central area of the museum downstairs too. I spent several very pleasant sessions there a few years back taking pictures and making notes. I highly recommend it. Also the rest of the museum is worth exploring as well... Take in the rest of Toronto too, it is by far my favorite large city.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Unless somethings changed since I last went about 9 yeras ago(quite likely) they have a very nice collection of Indo-Persian/Ottoman Turkick arms and armour as well. There used to be one room that was two tiers of nothing but maille and plate suits of armour.
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Russ and Allan!!

I will put that museum on my "things to go and see" list...

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One especially nice thing about the ROM is that on Fridays, from 4:30 until it closes at 9:30, admission is free. Not that the price of admission isn't money well spent.
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Worried

I will warn you that the ROM has been under massive renovations for more than a year. Last I heard, much of the medieval and Renn exhibits in the third floor Samuels Galleries were being renovated. Check their website for more details.

FWIW, they had a nice selection of late medieval & Rennaissance arms and armour displayed. Nothing like the Met or the Higgins but worth a visit. The rest of the place can easily take a couple days to go through. Its a general interest museum, although it has way too much space devoted to the Chinese and Korean exhibits, IMHO.

If you are interested, you could also make time to visit AEMMA while you are in town. We are affiliated with the ROM and provide swordsmanship classes for ROM members on Saturday afternoons, in addition to our regular training schedule. First visit to our training facility is free, just send in a request so we can have an experienced guide available to chat. www.aemma.org.

Cheers!

Kel Rekuta
AEMMA Free Scholler
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
Worried

I will warn you that the ROM has been under massive renovations for more than a year. Last I heard, much of the medieval and Renn exhibits in the third floor Samuels Galleries were being renovated. Check their website for more details.

FWIW, they had a nice selection of late medieval & Rennaissance arms and armour displayed. Nothing like the Met or the Higgins but worth a visit. The rest of the place can easily take a couple days to go through. Its a general interest museum, although it has way too much space devoted to the Chinese and Korean exhibits, IMHO.

If you are interested, you could also make time to visit AEMMA while you are in town. We are affiliated with the ROM and provide swordsmanship classes for ROM members on Saturday afternoons, in addition to our regular training schedule. First visit to our training facility is free, just send in a request so we can have an experienced guide available to chat. www.aemma.org.

Cheers!

Kel Rekuta
AEMMA Free Scholler

Third floor was it? Happy It's been a couple of years and I was sort of focussed at the time so...

As for the display they didn't have as much armor on display as the higgins but their selection of arms especially swords was far more extensive. Has that changed?

Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:

As for the display they didn't have as much armor on display as the higgins but their selection of arms especially swords was far more extensive. Has that changed?

Couldn't tell you. I seem to be the only person in my circle of acquaintance who hasn't been to the Higgins. I hear about it all the time and have seen plenty pictures. They have a larger collection of medieval armour than the ROM, according to my sources. The ROM has a lot of rennaissance pieces like most Western museums. Some of their 14thC pieces are questionable according to Corey Keeble, the curator that specific collection.

Anyway, I'll be down there later this month for a demo so I'll have a better look around to see what has happened since my last visit in May.

TTFN,

Kel
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 09 Mar, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cool, let us know what you find!
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Sun 26 Mar, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good Morning!

I was at the ROM for a symposium and demo yesterday. I took time to visit the Samuels Galleries and found very little had changed. The "furniture and lifestyle" area beyond the arms and armour displays had been changed somewhat. One display of crossbows and hunting equipment was cleared out for renovation. Having a "contractor" pass allowed me to take a few photos without hindrance, especially a few details of the Welsh buckler. Other than that most of the arms and armour displayed is similar to that found anywhere else. I'll post some pics later.

Gotta go walk the dog. Its glorious weather here after a week of blustery days spent indoors. Cool

TTFN,

Kel

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Museums in Toronto?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic