Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Italian Barbuta Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: My new Italian Barbuta         Reply with quote

This helm was made by Tomasz 'Tomala" Samula from Lublin(Poland)Already tested in combat-it is the best helmet I've ever had.

The first picture's quality is not good because of the dark background.To discover It's beauty check all pics

Attachment: 18.51 KB
Barbuta 1.JPG

Attachment: 22.09 KB
barbuta 2.JPG

Attachment: 61.94 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 74.74 KB
[ Download ]

www.elchon.com

Polish Guild of Knifemakers

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
it that is the only truth.

Last edited by Michal Plezia on Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal,
I've moved this post from the Off-topic forum to the Historical Arms Talk forum which is for:

Quote:
Discussions of historic reproduction and authentic arms and armour from various cultures and time periods

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok thanks!
www.elchon.com

The sword is a weapon for killing, the art of the sword is the art of killing. No matter what fancy words you use or what titles you put to
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Weird how light can play tricks. I looked at the first picture and the helmet looked all mishappen and I was sitting here wondering "what's so special about that." Then I looked at the pictures that you can "download" and found that it wasn't mishappen at all rather the opposite is true. Very pretty. Now the quesiton what makes it so great besides the obvious aesthetic qualities you note that you've tried it out and it works well. Why better then any other helmet you've tried?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The dark background is not good for taking picture but I don't have better picture with it on my head....Why it is the best?It is prepared for heavy headshots (2,5mm thick heat treated steel),comfortable lining,very good face protection,it is a copy of the museal piece -not a kind of armourer's variation(as You can see on my avatar-that was my previous helmet),and the finish is very good.Only the price.....it costs about 200$ which is not cheap in Poland....
www.elchon.com

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Wow! Weird how light can play tricks. I looked at the first picture and the helmet looked all mishappen and I was sitting here wondering "what's so special about that." Then I looked at the pictures that you can "download" and found that it wasn't mishappen at all rather the opposite is true. Very pretty. Now the quesiton what makes it so great besides the obvious aesthetic qualities you note that you've tried it out and it works well. Why better then any other helmet you've tried?

My guess would be that getting air would be easier than with a great helm with very little loss of coverage and vision seems very unobstructed.

Very good looking helm although I would prefer a more satiny finish to a mirror finish: Just that mirror finishes make you see what is being reflected on the helm more that actually enjoying the shape of the helm itself. This is just my preference. Big Grin

I assume the size is like the originals ? I Always visualized these as being smaller and closer to the head when seem out of context in pictures where the barbute is not shown on a person's head. It does offer at this size a lot of neck protection.

Again, very nice, congratulations. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Very good looking helm although I would prefer a more satiny finish to a mirror finish: Just that mirror finishes make you see what is being reflected on the helm more that actually enjoying the shape of the helm itself. This is just my preference.

I assume the size is like the originals ? I Always visualized these as being smaller and closer to the head when seem out of context in pictures where the barbute is not shown on a person's head. It does offer at this size a lot of neck protection.

Well I like mirror finish.It is also more rustproof Wink It is indeed very deep.I worried that it can be too deep and disturb head or arm movement-but it is not.And I don't worry about my neck Laughing Out Loud

www.elchon.com

Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Did I mention that it is one of the best ones I've seen. Big Grin Cool Cool Cool
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm happy that You like it Big Grin
www.elchon.com

R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Only the price.....it costs about 200$ which is not cheap in Poland....

Is that 200 USD? Does Mr. Samula have a website?
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes he has: www.tomala.lublin.pl but he has some problems with it so it can be fixed in a few days.What have I done!If he has new customers from USA or UK he'll rise his prices again Wink A year ago helmet like this costed 150$....
On the page You can see other Items that were made for me - italian cuirass and pauldrons.In fact all of the stuff on his page is custom.He doesn't like mass production.

Hm the price for foreigners (in euro) can be higher....but You can barter Laughing Out Loud

www.elchon.com

R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michal Plezia wrote:
Yes he has: www.tomala.lublin.pl but he has some problems with it so it can be fixed in a few days.What have I done!If he has new customers from USA or UK he'll rise his prices again Wink A year ago helmet like this costed 150$....

I don't think you need to worry about him raising prices due to increased business from me. Wink I just purchased a Crecy from Albion, so it will likely be a long while before I have funds on hand to make another purchase. I only asked because I'll probably be in the market for a good helm at some point, and from your pictures it looks like he does high quality work at very reasonable prices.

By the way, congratulation on your helm, I'd say that's definitely a piece of which you should be proud.
Michal Plezia
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
and from your pictures it looks like he does high quality work at very reasonable prices.

That is truth-that why You have to wait 6-10 months for the order.Sometimes even longer Blush

www.elchon.com

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful helmet! Eek! I, too, would rather have a more satin finish, but that's just personal taste. $200 for a helmet like that is a real bargain (at least here in the US). Very nice. Happy
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Michael,

That is a gorgeous barbute, congratulations! I am considering getting a hinged sugarloaf from them. How was the buying experience? Does he have a reliable reputation in Europe? Can you compare the quality to that of Bestarmour, or Armour and Castings?

Thanks,
Jeff Hsieh

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My new Italian Barbuta
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic