Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fun steel-on-steel fighting vids Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Mike Capanelli

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: sword and buckler match..............         Reply with quote

I couldn't believe how bad the sword and buckler match i watched was. They just sort of flailed away without even really using the bucklers. When they did use them it was in a "block and strike" way. They NEVER protected the sword hand. isn't that the point of the buckler? To protect the sword hand as to let you extend the reach of your sword? I couldn't bring myself to watch a longsword match. You know if it was stage combat I could at least respect it. Not that stage guys are doing anything accurate with what they call "broadswords". At least they know it's more of a dance and their not really fighting. That's my 2 cents.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, in the reenactment world there are people who strive for 100% accuracy. Then there are people who enjoy putting on a costume bought from MRL and going to the Ren Fairre. Is there anything wrong with the second group?

I myself strive to recreate historical European swordsmanship based on historical research. These guys have fun without doing so. Does that make them bad people?

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Mike Capanelli

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:45 am    Post subject: ......................................         Reply with quote

I don't think their bad guys. And they are having fun. If you browse their web site though they are sort of implying what their doing is historical. If their having fun, and it does look like fun, Then more power to em'. And as a side note, I'm a part of both groups. I train WMA and go to the NYRF every season. So again I don't think their bad guys, Just don't try to pass something like that off as historical is all.

Blessings,
Michael
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
You know, in the reenactment world there are people who strive for 100% accuracy. Then there are people who enjoy putting on a costume bought from MRL and going to the Ren Fairre. Is there anything wrong with the second group?

I myself strive to recreate historical European swordsmanship based on historical research. These guys have fun without doing so. Does that make them bad people?

Bill, I completely agree that both approches are valid and one group shouldn't condem the other.

But I see nothing wrong commenting about how from a realistic point of view the techniques just aren't good !

So we shouldn't condem what they do as good fun only as bad martial arts. Wink Laughing Out Loud

The only thing that is valid in condemming is IF they are saying that what they are doing is accurate: In that case just politely contradicting them should be enough. Tolerance yes! Respectfull rebuttals / opinions also yes! Getting all hot under the collar about it and hostile" NO Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:

A little bit yes. No just kidding. Its like with everything you do with total comitment and seriosity, may it be history, music or life in general - you tend to get a little bit bugged by those "just having fun". And if its a little bit based on jealousy time will tell..;/
But really what the discussion is about is not to bash these guys but another try to get to the core of good, realistic fighting.

Gentes scitote,
vicine sive remote,
quod claret Suecia
plebeque militia.
Mark Shier
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: fighting video         Reply with quote

I was at the NLHF, where some of the videos were shot, and saw UK "Re-enactor Combat" for the first time.
From what I saw, it is a combat system designed for safety and entertainment value, not historical realism. Most re-enactor battles in the UK are done for paying audiences. Many events being re-enacted are from the early middle ages, so safety considerations have to deal with open face helmets.
Most of the UK re-enactor combats systems use a very restricted set of blows, ie. the "Fives" ( see http://www.vikingsna.org/guides/fives/ ). SCA takes a different tack for safety, instead of restricting blows, it has replaced the steel sword with a rattan club. Just like SCA combat, "Re-enactor Combat" isn't very historical, but like SCA combat, it can be fun to do and to watch.
mark
Mike Capanelli

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: fighting video         Reply with quote

Mark Shier wrote:
I was at the NLHF, where some of the videos were shot, and saw UK "Re-enactor Combat" for the first time.
From what I saw, it is a combat system designed for safety and entertainment value, not historical realism. Most re-enactor battles in the UK are done for paying audiences. Many events being re-enacted are from the early middle ages, so safety considerations have to deal with open face helmets.
Most of the UK re-enactor combats systems use a very restricted set of blows, ie. the "Fives" ( see http://www.vikingsna.org/guides/fives/ ). SCA takes a different tack for safety, instead of restricting blows, it has replaced the steel sword with a rattan club. Just like SCA combat, "Re-enactor Combat" isn't very historical, but like SCA combat, it can be fun to do and to watch.
mark

Fun to watch it most certainly was. I admit it would be fun to have a go at that. what do you think of this though........

Lancasters Armourie Limited ~ Safe Steel for edged Weapons
Individual Safety rules, Sword Steels and their makeup for “vigorous full contact” use.
More and more groups are expanding their competency boundaries with the aim of deriving more excitement and making it more professionally realistic. This is now being referred to as “full contact” (defined as; robust & vigorous fighting to defined target areas without pulling the strike). To achieve that we need Swords blades which will withstand brutal treatment (high speed impacts at +300 foot per second), “without losing it’s top 9 inches into a spectators head”.
It’s important to realise Sword Blades are a compromise. The art is to make a sword hard enough to retain its edges, but not so hard it breaks. These parameters are governed by two crucial main factors: -
I) The composition of the steel (its chemical elements).
ii) The conditioning of the steel by heat-treating.
So! What’s the problem?
Sword blades are subjected to awesome stresses during full “contact combat”. The average Swordsman will swing a sword through the air with a tip speed in excess of 200 foot per second, some achieve more than 350 ft per/sec (imagine -- 36 inches of steel moving almost as fast as a bullet). That energy has to dissipate somewhere, most of us simply stick our own sword in the way, resulting in 36 inches of steel coming to an instant stop! (except - the metal on each side of the impact point - they keep going)... Yep!!! Our prize possession is momentarily shaped like a banana, which is why some of the harder Swords break and zoom into the crowd like an unguided missile.
Surely steel is just steel!
UK steels have a British Standard Code (BS) for each category, which denotes its trace element composition, E.g.; “BS970; 080A52” (a Spring steel) has a larger percentage of carbon, but less manganese than steel for an anvil. Before the introduction of “B.S” ratings, steel was referred to by a “EN”code which still used by UK Sword makers, EN43, & EN45 (spring/carbon) are the most common steels for Sword blades.
Choosing the right metal has been the bane of weapons makers since the `Iron Age’. It all depends on your needs, your point of view and how far you are prepared to go, even ex British Steel metallurgists cannot agree on their idea of “The right Steel”.
OK!… What IS the right steel!
The generally accepted, “Carbon/Spring steels (en43/en45)” were/are popular, mainly because the steel is cheap and easy to acquire, which makes them readily available. Sadly, they have consistently produced very poor results in full contact combat (we’ve all had broken sword blades).
Example: - During one day at York Minster, Escafeld broke 6 of these Swords!
In contrast, softer steels with lower carbon contents (less than 0.43%), with the trace elements “Chrome (Chr) & Nickel (Ni) and some Molybdenum (Mo)” added, and conditioned to a lower measurement of hardness seem to suit vigorous full contact combat. They work on the principle of “sacrifice higher erosion (blade notching) for greater elasticity”; the cutting edges literally harden as you fight.
Example: - MCS have and use Cr/Ni/Mo blades - and have broken only two in 10 years. No! They’re not wimps; they really give new meaning the words “High Speed Steel”.
Conclusion:- If we want a sword blade to take the abuse of `high speed shock impact’ - described as “full contact”, all the current evidence suggests these trace elements are crucial.
A good test : - Would you be happy to whack your Sword on a 2 foot segment of railway line, three/four times (every month) with all your strength & speed (the blade tip must travel at least 6 feet).
Technical: - A report on Swords by the Sheffield Testing Laboratories (26th Sept 96/6090714) concluded: - “The principle element that confers high hardness is carbon. The higher carbon contents of EN43 & EN45 result in high hardening capacity but generally at the expense of toughness”. “Hardened and tempered Cro/ni/mo alloys posses good spring properties and the alloy content gives a finer grain size resulting in a good toughness to resist fracture”.
Care of a weapon also plays a vital part. A Sword maker can ply his arts with exacting finesse (steel compositions certificated to exact trace elements, heat treatment maintained to precise tolerances). It can all be pointless if the blade is poorly maintained.
I) Overheating a blade by fire, welding or prolonged polishing, after heat treatment can severely alter the original heat treatment.
ii) Metal compressed by high speed shock impact (fighting) should not be allowed to build up on cutting edges, they help to form stress lines in the steel and carry dirt and germs. Sand /File them off to about 2.5 – 3mm with a sanding belt.
Did you know: - one of the earliest methods of testing swords was “three goodly smites upon an Oaken block”, so! Chopping wood may also eventually result in a broken blade.

A point of view: - A rusty, dirty or poorly maintained weapon is likely to belong to an unsafe and careless fighter.

Individual Medieval Groups and Societies Safety rules

Whereas most historical medieval combat groups have very similar safety concepts (blunt edges to blades and no points), many of them have long term established guidelines.

Each Lancaster’s Armourie Limited weapons is designed to conform to the Early Medieval Alliance (EMA), The International Medieval Alliance (Intermedieval) and NAReS weapons safety guidelines… But we’re happy to make modifications conform to individual safety guidelines, in most cases this is simply a matter of reducing a tip radius so please tell us your particular needs and we will do our best to help you.

Briefly… Lancaster’s Armourie do not make sharp weapons of any kind. Our Swords have a tip that is 4mm thick and a variety tip radius’s from 3mm to 7mm. Our cutting edges for Swords are 2.8mm to 2.5mm. Smaller blades (Short Swords, daggers) are 1.8mm to 1.5mm. Pole Weapons (Axe, Bardische etc) have a 3mm cutting edge.
SO! Throwing yourself onto the tip of one of our Swords is rather like trying to stab yourself with the “blunt end of a pencil”, it’s going to cause a really nasty bruise… but that is all it will do.

Authenticity of weights; a simple quick research into Sword blade lengths will quickly demonstrate there is no set pattern of dimensions to weight ratio. We are moving towards lighter swords, but without compromising our ethos of safe weapons.
SO!… What suites you is OK, but be certain you receive adequate training.

A good instructor will tell you “balance” of a Sword is usually more important than its overall weight and a lighter Sword is not a substitute for lack of training.

Sword hilts and Sword Blades are now available for purchase as separate items.

By Roger Lankford. June 2001.
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with discussing a group. But when it is publically done, and when the people being discussed aren't present, it can lead down paths that bring up some negative issues.

I've seen so many people turned off to proper WMA because "outsiders" insulted the way they do things publically (on the internet) without talking to them. They then get defensive, and say that there's no way of proving how these things were done from a bunch of poorly drawn pictures, and that all WMA people are a bunch of snobs who need to get off they're high horses and come back to reality. I think WMA has really received a lot of bad press because too many well intentioned WMA preachers have tried to show everyone else the one true way which proves everyone else wrong. Let's face it, nobody likes to be told they're wrong, or that the things they've learned are silly. It's a totally different thing encourage the people in question rather than talk about them publically behind their back.

I'm not saying anyone on this thread is being insulting. But consider that a thread in a public forum isn't a private conversation between a couple friends, so these sorts of discussions are kind of in bad taste. Even though it doesn't feel like a public announcement about a group when you're at home typing at your computer, in essence that's what posting on a public forum is doing.

For the record, I'm not trying to come down on anyone in particular. In fact, groups that do non-historic fighting for show do more damage to people like me, who make a living on this stuff, then they do to most people: The less people understand that Europe developed sophisticated forms of martial arts, the less people would want to hire guys like me to teach it. Happy Nonetheless, we have to accept that not everyone cares about it: We're only talking about swords, after all. Happy

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a spectator at the Bristol Renaissance Fair on the IL / WI border, I have always very much enjoyed the reenactment battles at the jousting grounds. Especially as a spectator who formally trained in a martial art thou never in the european medieval combat arts, I am very impressed at the skill levels that I see. If I were some 20 years younger ( 48 now) and not the broken down old warhorse that I am with arthritis in my back from too many years of over doing it, this is something I would like to learn. It's a beautiful thing to watch and there is always part of me that wishes I could partake in the action. Sure looks like a lot of fun!

Love the shows!

Bob
Nick Dunning

PostPosted: Wed 22 Mar, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I go to a few of the shows where they do this and am probably going to enter it myself at some point. A couple of things I will point out to those that have never seen this done live, which I would presume is most people here, and therefore are unaware of the context:

1) The tourney is ran by the company that makes the weapons, and in that respect you must consider that one of the primary markets that the company is appealing to is the re-enactors that purchase rebated blades. What better way to advertise that your products are strong and won't break than to put the in an environment where the contact is heavier than they will see in normal use?

2) Those taking part are re-enactors who often like history and enjoy having a bash, but don't take it all the way into serious study of historical combat.

3) On the one which I witnessed from the beginning, they announced at the start that it is re-enactors having at each other for fun rather than an actual glimpse into a duel, and did make mention of western martial arts (particularly that most of the fighters have never done them). This is not recorded on the video.

Basically, it is a fun event that is used to sell swords to re-enactors and to let the public watch people hitting armour with weapons. The rules are below (taken from http://www.livinghistoryfayres.com/index_files/Page512.html)

Full contact combat guidelines for 2005 full contact tourney's at NLHF etc.

Whether or not you have taken part in one of our Full Contact Medieval Combat Tourneys, please read these notes. The aim is to have fun (defined as entertaining for all those taking part), whilst at the same time competing in a full contact medieval tournament (defined as vigorous medieval style combat to defined targets points without pulling the strike), with no ill will or prejudice.
Flagrant use of modern martial arts is likely result in you forfeiting the match (e.g. Escrima), whereas flagrant use of chivalry, will likely earn you points.

Medieval Tournaments were often the sponsored equivalent to modern football matches, their prime objectives was to promote the sponsor, entertain the masses as well as make the participants famous and wealthy… and it was mostly done with a strong degree of “honour, gramercy and gude will”. Whereas we will make every Endeavour to ensure the best safety we can… It follows the very nature of the event suggests there are risks to your person and you are strongly advised to not take part if you are worried about being injured

Minimum Armour requirements:-
The object is to be adequately protected at the moment when every thing else fails…

Steel Helms and steel Gauntlets are mandatory.
Helms; must be of a substantial steel plate construction (not less than 1.6mm – although 2mm is better), preferably not of welded construction, with mail ventail, coif or bevor to protect the throat.
Gauntlets; must be of substantial construction and capable of reducing a hard wallop from a steel bar - to merely a painful experience.
Padded Gamsdon; should be substantial enough to protect the bones near the surface (shoulders, elbow’s, wrists, ribs, pelvic bones & hip joints), with either plate or mail body armour.
Leg protection; should be plate armour or heavy leather armour or mail with padding, to protect Knees and shins. If the Marshals feel your armour is lacking in any way... you will be given the time of one bout to rectify the problem.[“looks like” padding, very thin plate armour or thin leather armour - won’t pass.]

Contestants will choose from a variety of matching weighted weapons provided by us.

Target areas; are almost anywhere you can get a solid hit (audible to all - without maiming), aiming for your opponents armour without hitting a non-target area.
Non target areas; “face, neck/throat, groin, knees and feet” are strictly forbidden no second warnings. Also “hands, wrists, shoulder joints, elbow joints, pelvic bone and hip joints,” are non-target areas, persistent warnings may result in you being disqualified. Take care when striking areas where bones near the surface“.

Type of attack strikes desired should ideally be mostly angled downwards, aimed at armour.
Head strikes should ideally be a downward strike at the upper centre of the helm… Horizontal strikes or uppercuts to the neck & face are not permitted, neck & face is defined as an area from the collar bone to a horizontal line set 2 inch (50mm) above the ears/eyes = (2” above the eye line).
Stabbing is not permitted.
Grappling & Kicking is not permitted.

Marshal’s role and powers; Marshals are the guardians of every ones sanity and safety at the point in time when every one else has become insane and unsafe. They will manage the actual combat in the tournament space. They’ll have a number of key thoughts in their minds; (ensure competitors equipment is up to scratch and fits properly, keep combat within the arena space, ensure the style and content of the combat will not cause injury and give the competitors enough time and space to enjoy themselves).
Marshal’s instructions and directions require mandatory, instant compliances.
Marshal’s will stop a tournament if they feel one or both participants’ actions prejudice safety.
Marshal's have the power to request a competitor to leave the field.

Judges Roles and guidelines; THREE or FOUR Judges will be chosen from volunteer re-enactors visiting on the day, they will have experience in medieval combat and be known for their fairness. Their task will be to decide a winner for each pair; They will include the following factors in their judging:--
• Control and skill with weapons
• Defense, style and technique.
• Attitude and controlled aggression.

The obvious statements put into very succinct plain English;
The whole ethos of these tournaments is a fun, friendly competitive scenario; open to both male and female armoured medieval combatants over the age of 18 years.
Excessive aggression or force, poor attitude or repeated warnings could result in you forfeiting the match.
NEVER – EVER ARGUE WITH MARSHALS, it is probably the single thing most likely to get you banned from the tournament ring.

The judges decisions is final… please don’t bother them after the event with your opinion of the fight… we asked them to volunteer and they will have done their best.

•If you loose your weapon more than twice, you will forfeit the match.
•If the Marshals decide your kit is not up to recommended standards… you won’t take part.
•If you have a reputation for maiming your opponents… you won’t take part.
•If we think you may be using the tournament as way of trying to settle old scores… you won’t take part.
•If you smell of alcohol or are suspected of taking controlled substances… you won’t take part.

READ THIS BIT IT IS IMPORTANT; whereas we have an impeccable safety record... this hobby is dangerous (equal to any other extreme sport).
If you are the type of person who is likely to attempt to sue us or your opponent, because he broke your finger… PLEASE DO NOT TAKE PART.

Combat format :-
First round = 3 minutes duration combat
All other rounds= 2 minutes duration combat

Please note: These guidelines are a condensed version of the Inter-Medieval guidelines applied at EMA Caldicot Tourneys, if you have any queries about these guidelines or the actual tourneys, please contact me

Best wishes

Roger Lankford
Lancasters Armouries
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Fri 24 Mar, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
As a spectator at the Bristol Renaissance Fair on the IL / WI border, I have always very much enjoyed the reenactment battles at the jousting grounds. Especially as a spectator who formally trained in a martial art thou never in the european medieval combat arts, I am very impressed at the skill levels that I see. If I were some 20 years younger ( 48 now) and not the broken down old warhorse that I am with arthritis in my back from too many years of over doing it, this is something I would like to learn. It's a beautiful thing to watch and there is always part of me that wishes I could partake in the action. Sure looks like a lot of fun!

Love the shows!

Bob

Bob,

I'm 45, overweight and have glass knees. I still fight in full harness with bated steel weapons. The pups still go down every time we play. Age and experience prevails over youth and exuberance. (with a little help from Celebrex...) Razz

Don't let your age put you on the sidelines. Laughing Out Loud

Kel Rekuta
AEMMA Free Scholler
Instructor, Toronto Salle

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Fun steel-on-steel fighting vids
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: