Go to page 1, 2  Next

Future period dagger projects
Hi everyone,

In the near future, i am planning on making some period daggers. (Once i get caught up with current projects)
I would like to keep them affordable at a lower price point for collectors who would like to compliment their kit . I was wondering if there is something from the past that you don't see reproduced that you would like to see? Or if there are production daggers that you would like to see at a custom level of quality. There are many ideas that i have, but i would really like to hear what the folks here think. Any suggestions?

Regards,

John Gage
Re: Future period dagger projects
John Gage wrote:
Hi everyone,

In the near future, i am planning on making some period daggers. (Once i get caught up with current projects)
I would like to keep them affordable at a lower price point for collectors who would like to compliment their kit . I was wondering if there is something from the past that you don't see reproduced that you would like to see? Or if there are production daggers that you would like to see at a custom level of quality. There are many ideas that i have, but i would really like to hear what the folks here think. Any suggestions?

Regards,

John Gage

John,

Personally, I'd like to see daggers closely patterned off of earlier historical antiques. There's lots of 15th, 16th and 17th century daggers out there- it would nice to see some from the 14th and 13th century too. Ideally, it would be great to see daggers from the 12th and 11th century too, but I'm not sure how many exist or have survived to this day.
ya.. 11-14c daggers would be nice indeed
I'd like to see some ear daggers.
Let me echo the sentiment for pre-15th century daggers. . . highly under represented in the marketplace.

Your thoughts are just the sort of thing I've been thinking about as far a working on my kit. . .
Ear daggers -- yes, that would be excellent. They're so under-represented as reproductions.
John, I say Ballock Dagger.

I was desperately seeking someone doing a Ballock Dagger for me, inspired by Chad's Vince Evance Ballock Dagger (Vince Evans stopped taking commissions - at least his website says so).
Was looking around here in Europe and finally commissioned one to Tod in the UK.
Will keep the forum updated about the result, expected in August.

I'd say there are few ballock daggers around.
Ear daggers! Definately ear daggers! Hardly anyone makes these.
Bill Grandy wrote:
Ear daggers! Definately ear daggers! Hardly anyone makes these.

They're fascinating and, as you say, unusual in the reproduction world. I'd love to see them recreated.

Attachment: 13.16 KB
eardagger.jpg

I got ho handle one at the Higgins, and my appreciation for these daggers incresed immentsly

Alexi

Attachment: 119.83 KB
DSCF2756.JPG

I'd like to see more rondel daggers with complex rondels made of sandwiches of material (steel, wood, horn, brass) like we see on originals. I love the late 14th century Burgundian style, too.
Chad Arnow wrote:
I'd like to see more rondel daggers with complex rondels made of sandwiches of material (steel, wood, horn, brass) like we see on originals.

Now that you mention it, that would be really cool, too. My first vote is still for the ear daggers, but this is my back up vote. :)
I'll second (or third) Chad's vote for Rondel Daggers. There's only two companies on the market that I'd consider buying them from at this point, so I think there's a lot of room for movement especially in higher end pieces in the rondel dagger category.
Misericorde...
Thomas Jason wrote:
Misericorde...

Isn't that a common name for most daggers used to dispatch dying folks (to safe them the misery)? Rondel daggers were referred to as "misericordes" on occasion, and I'd assume the same is true for bullock-daggers, ear-daggers, baselards, sword-hilted daggers, etc.

I'd want to see more examples for all of the above :)

Alexi
This is kind of out of period -

D-Guard Bowie.

There are some replicas out there, but how many good ones?
I'll add another vote to Rondell daggers. I'd particularly like to see some with the equilateral triangular cross section.
I've seen some European makers making some affordable ear daggers, but other than that, I don't remember seeing a single one replicated. There is a forum member here who has at least one and maybe he'll chime in with the maker's name. I'm sure it had consessions to keep the price down, but looked good in the photos I saw. It would be great for somebody to go full-bore on one of these and do an actual reproduction of an extent sample, but it would be quite costly. I'd like to see it, though.

So other than that, I'd like to see sets of by-knives, prickers, etc. in the Medeival and Renaissance style to be added to one's kit. These might very well be similar to this offering by Arms & Armor: http://www.arms-n-armor.com/custom921.html
Hi,

These are some great ideas. Ballock daggers and Rondells were definately high on my list. D guard Bowie, love the idea, thanks Roger :). Ear daggers now that is a tough one. I think the reason they are not often reproduced is there complexity, which would push them into a high price point. Also i would have to examine one of those first hand. I think a trip to Europe is definately in order. :)

Thanks guys,

John
Has anyone ever made a replica of a Burgundian dagger?
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: