Go to page 1, 2  Next

Some pre-sparring posing in the snow.
Some pre-sparring pics, or id be covered in snow.. Full contact sparring/fighting with custom-made RSW bastard-sword. Fun fun..

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/1441/sca0038vj.jpg
http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/802/sca0020yb.jpg
http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/2305/sca0017jz.jpg
Great pics and looks like fun! As good as playing (American) football in the snow! Cold are we? I hope you have on plenty of insulation! I wore chainmail to a Halloween party over just a shirt and under a surcorat and was freezing in the slightest breeze and boiling near heat sources. Amazing how metal conducts and loses heat! :D
Wow, those are great pictures :D I'm jealous of your snow. Barley a flake here this year.

Love your gambeson :!: Where did you get it?
The only maille i was wearing was my homemade maille-bevour; maille, leather and linnen sown together - very comfortable. I sometimes wear it around the house just cos its nice to wear..;/

The pourpoint is from Matuls in poland. They make great stuff.
W. Stilleborn wrote:
I sometimes wear it around the house just cos its nice to wear..;/

The pourpoint is from Matuls in poland. They make great stuff.

Good ! :cool: Somebody else who wears their arming clothes around the house because it is so comfortable. :D

In my case the Revival Clothing Gambison in black. http://www.revivalclothing.com/
Running around in mail in the snow isn't that bad, as long as you keep moving. The arming clothes are thick enough to provide ample insulation.
On the other hand, if you stay still for long in -10 degrees, you are going to be cold no matter what you are wearing, short of arctic gear...
Neat pictures. By the way, what is all of that white stuff? I have never seen that around here.:lol: :lol:
(outside temperature here at 11:00 am = 20° C / 68° F)
Armour and snow is no problem i think, you just freeze thats all. But armour and heat, now thats horrid business...
W. Stilleborn wrote:
Armour and snow is no problem i think, you just freeze thats all. But armour and heat, now thats horrid business...

Yes, here in Florida I think that armour would be quite unpleasant for most of the year.
Nice pics! This is slightly off topic, but do you wear that armour with the padded swords? I would think the armour, particularly the gauntlets, would rip the padding to shreds in no time. :eek:
Bill Grandy wrote:
Nice pics! This is slightly off topic, but do you wear that armour with the padded swords? I would think the armour, particularly the gauntlets, would rip the padding to shreds in no time. :eek:

That actually is an issue that im dealing with right now. We had those swords custom-made with added steel and stuff making em very solid and study. But they did get somewhat messed up, and we realized that steel and padding is not that hot together. Im actually in the crossroads of deciding what equipment to use. Trying some wooden wasters next weekend with clear edge and flat-sides, and hopefully get a better idea which direction to choose.

By the way, i like that vid-clip of you using the RSW - and as i can remember totally wooping your sparring-partners ass....;))
Those are some great pics, your gameson really stands out. Looks like you had loads of fun. Just next time can you invite me to come along??? :lol:
Helen Miller wrote:
Those are some great pics, your gameson really stands out. Looks like you had loads of fun. Just next time can you invite me to come along??? :lol:

Ofcourse, just fly over! Altho im not sure i feel as secure in my masculinity as i do in my sallet to ever dare sword-fight a woman...;)))
Ah. You'll get over it. :p

The trick is just to get beaten enough times.
We have about 30-40% girls in our group...
W. Stilleborn wrote:
Trying some wooden wasters next weekend with clear edge and flat-sides, and hopefully get a better idea which direction to choose.

The gauntlets will also start chewing up the wasters a fair bit. Not nearly as badly as padded weapons, but it'll still happen. This isn't a problem if you don't mind replacing them semi-regularly (hence the name "waster"), but it's something to keep in mind. The helmet will also do some damage, but probably not as fast.

By the way, for the padded swords I'd recommend just using some normal padded gloves. Technically you can get away without wearing any gloves for those particular types of padded swords, though occassionally you'll get a hit land at just an angle where it can actually be pretty painful, so I'd personally recommend wearing them anyway. We had a guy get hit with a thrust to the finger that caused it to swell up, and this was with a padded sword through padded gloves.

Quote:
By the way, i like that vid-clip of you using the RSW - and as i can remember totally wooping your sparring-partners ass....;))

Oh, I wouldn't say I totally whooped Eric there at all... he got some pretty hard hits on me himself! :)
Bill Grandy wrote:

The gauntlets will also start chewing up the wasters a fair bit. Not nearly as badly as padded weapons, but it'll still happen. This isn't a problem if you don't mind replacing them semi-regularly (hence the name "waster"), but it's something to keep in mind. The helmet will also do some damage, but probably not as fast.

By the way, for the padded swords I'd recommend just using some normal padded gloves. Technically you can get away without wearing any gloves for those particular types of padded swords, though occassionally you'll get a hit land at just an angle where it can actually be pretty painful, so I'd personally recommend wearing them anyway. We had a guy get hit with a thrust to the finger that caused it to swell up, and this was with a padded sword through padded gloves.

Oh, I wouldn't say I totally whooped Eric there at all... he got some pretty hard hits on me himself! :)

http://www.jelldragon.com/images/lg1.jpg - Maby this is the middle option, cos i dont like sparring in any form of "now-adays clothing"..

And what i saw in that vid was wooping..such modesty!!
Elling Polden wrote:

The trick is just to get beaten enough times.
We have about 30-40% girls in our group...

Haha..i guess!

But where the heck do you find tough gals like that? I think its hard to find guys that will take a sword to the face, let alone girls...
We stand around looking dashing, and they come to us... :P

No, seriously. Swordfighting actually appeals to quite a lot of girls these days.
And, we fight light contact, and don't hit each other in the face. (We use the same system as viking reenactors, with some modifications.) But most of our experienced girls do the high speed, helmet-and-hand-hits Huskar fighting as well...

(Huskar style movie clips from the Vinter 06 training event... Kongshirden 1260(from Bergen, with linen tunics) and 1308 (from Oslo, spanghelms and t-shirts) [/url]
Elling Polden wrote:

(Huskar style movie clips from the Vinter 06 training event... Kongshirden 1260(from Bergen, with linen tunics) and 1308 (from Oslo, spanghelms and t-shirts) [/url]

Is that aluminum swords they are using? It is damn fast.
We use steel swords. The ones in the clips are quite light weight Atrims and and Paul Bins blades. But I used to do it with my 1,4kg Lutel, wich is pretty hefty. it must be added that the people in the clips are the most experienced fighters in both groups.
(I'm the guy with the linen tunic, hose, and round helmet... clips 2 and 4...)
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: