Big website update and news
It has been about a month since my last update, but this one is big to make up for it. There are several little changes to some of the current and future projects, so that might be something to check into if any of them might be of interest to you specifically. The first of the bigger news is the spatha I'm currently working on. It is the blade I planned to use for a British influenced spatha, but have since went with a Later period hilt from Vimose III. This is very near to being finished, but I'm waiting on additional research to get here before I consider it done. So there is a chance some additional decorations might be added. The second bit of big news is the addition of Julie's Gladius project. This is also very close to being finished and will be once the blade is back from clean up grinding. The last and probably biggest update is that I have added a knowledge base where I have added a couple of articles. These seems to be the best way that I can share some of the research I'm working on and allows me to easily add to and expand as I am able too. I hope this will become a good resource for those who are interested in the Early iron age as it grows.

http://www.ironagearmoury.com/

Shane
I like the direction you are headed there Shane. If I could make a suggestion? The web is all about pictures and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Perhaps in the "knowledge base" section some pictures of the different sword types etc. would be worthwhile?
I know everyone loves picture galleries, but that probably isn't a direction that I will go. There is the copywrite issue you have to deal with that I would rather now. Plus there are a few very good ones out there already covering the areas that I would be. Then there is a thing where if there is both, people generally tend to look at the pictures and then read if they have time. I'd rather now spend a bunch of time writing something, only to have it glanced over. I do realize that there is a visual need sometimes to register with people, and I'll be addressing that. What I'll probably do is insert drawings to illustrate specifics such as blade types, hilt types, etc. Also I still need to add in references, further reading list, and examples. Might even at some point add in links to the examples that will take people to photos of the original.

Shane
Shane Allee wrote:
I know everyone loves picture galleries, but that probably isn't a direction that I will go. There is the copywrite issue you have to deal with that I would rather now. Plus there are a few very good ones out there already covering the areas that I would be. Then there is a thing where if there is both, people generally tend to look at the pictures and then read if they have time. I'd rather now spend a bunch of time writing something, only to have it glanced over. I do realize that there is a visual need sometimes to register with people, and I'll be addressing that. What I'll probably do is insert drawings to illustrate specifics such as blade types, hilt types, etc. Also I still need to add in references, further reading list, and examples. Might even at some point add in links to the examples that will take people to photos of the original.

Shane

Excellent. I especially like the drawings idea.
Shane,

I love the additions to the site. The Knowledge Base section is very thoughtful and interesting. What a great resource!

Best!

Matt

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: