Go to page 1, 2  Next

New Broadword in the works
Hi everybody,

Here is a new broadsword in process. It is a collaboration between myself and Rick Barrett. Rick sent me the blade to come up with a design for it, I would like to share my design with all of you and see what you think of it.
So here goes.

28" long 2" wide 1095 monosteel blade Overall length will be around 37"

Fittings are made of wrought iron, bronze inlay wth copper rivets with a pear shaped Ruby set into the gaurd.
The grip will be leather wrapped over a stabilized core.

I am still contemplating the grip for this one and wondered if anyone had any examples they would like to share.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 2.59 KB
ruby1214.jpg

Attachment: 97.35 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 91.37 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 31.05 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 42.96 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 56.44 KB
[ Download ]
I would be lying if I said I wasn't impressed with just the concept art. :eek: :)

WOW I can't wait to see the finished work on this one!!!
Hi,

Thanks Eric.

Here is an update, i just recieved the Rubies. I did a quick layout of the rivets and the stone and am hoping to finish this up over the weekend, once finished up i will post some stats.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 86.47 KB
[ Download ]

Attachment: 87.58 KB
[ Download ]
I like the in-progress photos. I think there are many of us that are serioously interested in this stuff but lack the skills, time, or place to do such work ourselves. Thanks for sharing the process with us.
John;

Liking this one more and more as we are getting new progress shots.

Is it mostly a fantasy design or are you basing it on something historical ? ( Fantasy meant in a good way. :D :cool: )

For some reason the guard and pommel makes me think of something eastern European or even Russian or Byzantine influenced: Almost like some sort of crucifix look for guard and pommel. ( Eastern orthodox ??? )

The blade has very parallel edges I just wonder about what the distal taper is like ? Seems like a mostly cut dedicated sword with a still very effective point.
Blade length only 28 inches, but it looks like a very impressive beast.
Really cool John! Any outside influences(like your Chaos piece) with this one? Looks a bit Bretonnian.... It's great to see the sketches turn into the finished product! I can't wait to see it done.
Nathan Robinson wrote:
I like the in-progress photos. I think there are many of us that are serioously interested in this stuff but lack the skills, time, or place to do such work ourselves. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

Hey Nathan,

That is No problem :D I really enjoy the feedback from everyone.

I will keep you all posted with my progress. Should be done soon if all goes well.

John
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
John;

Liking this one more and more as we are getting new progress shots.

Is it mostly a fantasy design or are you basing it on something historical ? ( Fantasy meant in a good way. :D :cool: )

For some reason the guard and pommel makes me think of something eastern European or even Russian or Byzantine influenced: Almost like some sort of crucifix look for guard and pommel. ( Eastern orthodox ??? )

The blade has very parallel edges I just wonder about what the distal taper is like ? Seems like a mostly cut dedicated sword with a still very effective point.

Hello Jean,

It is all fantasy with no rock solid source for the historical. Other than working at Albion for a year and a half. Cutlering and finishing ALOT of museum line and next gens can do that to a guy. :) :lol:
The distal taper is really nice on this blade and it is just as you described.

Regards,

John
freaking awesome :eek: :eek:
fittings are done
Hi,

Here is an update, I just finished the fittings and slid them on to the blade. Next is final peening. Then the grip will be added like the one in the concept drawing. For the grip color i think im going with blood red.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 88.97 KB
[ Download ]
John;

Fresh Pict and it keeps looking better and better.

As with the best fantasy pieces it feels like there should be a whole back story / history / culture attached to it: So convincingly
consistent in style that one is tempted to read up on the inexistent civilization X. :lol:

Also it is a " functional " sound design which is my favourite type of fantasy piece. :cool:
Ablolutlt gorgeous......and now the scabbard? :lol:
I like that design! Do share some pics of the finished sword. Good luck with that!
Finally finished
Hey everyone,

After alot of pain and suffering...... Here it is. Hope you like it. :D
I will post final stats soon.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 98.98 KB
Broadswordfinal2.jpg

Attachment: 94.71 KB
[ Download ]
Hilt
Hi,

Here is an up close pic of the hilt. Sorry about the pictures. I am working on making a photo booth.

Regards,

John

Attachment: 93.17 KB
hilt2.jpg

The waisted grip looks great and the color of the leather is perfect. lt compliments all the other materials of the pommel and guard. Absolutely fantastic peice. As far as I can comment on such things (being new to all this), it appears to be an excellent functional piece with fantasy elements incorporated. Congratulations.
Looks a lot like one of the Swords from Neverwinter Nights or one of the D&D games.

I like this piece a lot!
Thomas Jason wrote:
Looks a lot like one of the Swords from Neverwinter Nights or one of the D&D games.

I like this piece a lot!

I was thinking that too. While this particular piece isn't what I typically go for these days, it still speaks to a certain part of me, the same part of me that played D&D as a kid, the part of me that at one time thought of swords as an unobtainable bit of magic that I wished one day I could possiblye own. It's kind of strange how in that regard I really, really like this sword!
Prepare to be jealous! I got to handle the finished piece today....I still don't have the appropriate words, but I had to chime in. Aside from being truly pleasing to the eye, this sword handles like a dream! I wasn't sure what to expect, but I was pleasantly surprised. At first, when I noticed the amazing point control and great balance, and again, when I found the sword's "sweet spot" which is right where I'd want it. I hard a very hard time putting it down. Fortunately, John was gracious enough to let me play for a good part of the afternoon, and even tolerated my begging for pool noodles!

Any way, I was very impressed, so I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Beautiful and great feeling, this is one of my favorite pieces thus far. :lol:
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: