Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Wavy" blades on Lutel two-handers? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

William J Welch wrote:
I have wondered if the wavy edge are not meant to be force multipliers. The forward edges would dig in before the rear edges there by forcing the materials apart, and deeper into the cutting surface of the wave.

I have never seen this idea given and it just seems obvious to me, after looking at some of the sword pics. Big Grin

I've heard that theory on SFI before. I don't think it would make much of a difference, in my opinion. If the force were really multiplied to a point where there was a noticable difference, there would also be a lot more stress on the blade. Better to use an axe in that case.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Mar, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding test cutting:

One of the things that would be needed, if a flambard blade were to be tested, is a straight-edged sword with the same kind of edge geometry (minus the scallops). It could be possible that a particular wavy-edged sword had a more obtuse angle, and a straight edged sword had a more acute angle, completely throwing off the results of the test because the one with the more acute edge will most likely slice better.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 08 Mar, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

[quote="Bill Grandy"]
William J Welch wrote:

I've heard that theory on SFI before. I don't think it would make much of a difference, in my opinion. If the force were really multiplied to a point where there was a noticable difference, there would also be a lot more stress on the blade. Better to use an axe in that case.

Would there be extra stress? After all, the basic idea here is concentration of available force, rather then the addition of extra force? (OR do I misunderstand?)

Hey! Could this be to make the thing 'stick' to armor, in the same way that the waffle pattern on hammer heads does? So you could strike heavy blows against plate? (Which would not cut the plate, but the force would still be significant.)

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Thu 07 Jun, 2007 12:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something hit me just now as I was reading about how historic swords sometimes had to be honed or even reground to remove a bad chip or ding on the cutting edge. I think It's most likely that the Flammard blade on these swords was adopted for multiple reasons; but what occurred to me was the possibility that the Flammard edge also helped preserve the over-all profile and edge geometry of the sword. If the Two-Handed swords were used to charge pike formations, is it probable that they would have been subjected to greater duress then swords utilized for other combat situations? If so, then perhaps the Blades were scalloped in such a manner in order to minimize the amount of repair work required by insuring that damage to the blade could only occur on an already present peak or valley. Thus eliminating the need to not only grind out edge damage but too also rework large portions of the blade profile as a result.
From the hundred year war
To the Crimea
With a Lance and a Musket and a Roman Spear
To all of the Men who have stood with no fear
In the Service of the King
-The Clash: The Card Cheat

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > "Wavy" blades on Lutel two-handers?
Page 4 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: