Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website updated Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am so in the less than thrilled bucket.

Frankly I'm trying to decide what options I have, if any, other than sitting on my hands.

That said, Albion has always been very up front about the fact that the price you order something for, is the price you will pay. They have never once suggested, to my knowledge, that prices on outstanding orders will change.

Right now, their major problems seem to an inability to get new models to market when they say they will, high employee turnover, and some other internal business issues (per their publication). Although I suppose I must admit that they fixed the problem with new model time to market by removing all estimated production dates from their website.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 05 Mar, 2006 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the past, once you cut a deal to buy an unreleased sword, and made partial or full payment, your price stayed the same, no matter what might happen to that model's price later. I would be thunderstruck if Albion changed that policy. There is no evedence that they have done that..

I'm irritated because a sword I wanted to buy was first to be released in early 2006. then moved to mid 2006, to late 2006, and now, who knows?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
I'm irritated because a sword I wanted to buy was first to be released in early 2006. then moved to mid 2006, to late 2006, and now, who knows?

I am in your same boat, Roger. The three models I have on order were listed at 6-9 months. Over two years later, I've seen the due dates quietly changed on their Web site without so much as a note from the vendor. It's my opinion that all customers with outstanding orders need be notified of a change of contract when new info is available. This is simply the difference between good and bad business.

Things change and this is life, but it's the way we handle such changes that defines us. These things are difficult to do proper research and manufacture, but the vendor is more aware of this difficulty than I, a customer, and needs to set expectations accordingly. Further, it's not my job to manage these expectations. It's the vendor's.

Customer service isn't simply being friendly as a person makes an order and gives money. It's following up on outstanding orders where money has already exchanged hands. Open orders need as much, if not far more, attention as orders that are in the process of being initiated.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Jeff Gentry

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Joe

Joe Fults wrote:
I don't think the Maestros changed.

I think the Lichteauer went up to 400 was 360-80 not a bad increase, it does put it out of the question for me though it is now the same price as a real sword i.e. squire line is 400.

I am still planning on ordering a squire line in April.

Jeff

“Princes and Lords learn to survive with this art, in earnest and in play. But if you are fearful, then you should not learn to fence. Because a despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of all skill.”
- Fechtmeister Sigmund Ringeck, 1440
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 05 Mar, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Gentry wrote:
Hey Joe

Joe Fults wrote:

I think the Lichteauer went up to 400 was 360-80 not a bad increase, it does put it out of the question for me though, other companies have them cheaper.

overall though the increase isn't bad on most.

Jeff

Jeff,

You're right, they updated things after I posted.

To me, the price is less of an issue than the apparent indefinite delay in the product launch. I ordered a Liechtenauer not long ago because it would be available in June (at the time). I was assured that it would ship on time and I thought it would be worth evaluating as a training tool with the group this summer. If it seemed decent,, I planned on getting another one so people could use them when I was there and get an idea how steel feels, verses wood and paddeds.

Now that idea appears to be all shot to blazes. If so, the whole purchase is now fairly pointless because it is not something I want to spend a year or more waiting for, although I may not have a chioce now.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 12:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Gentry wrote:
Hey Joe

Joe Fults wrote:

I think the Lichteauer went up to 400 was 360-80 not a bad increase, it does put it out of the question for me though it is now the same price as a real sword i.e. squire line is 400.

I am still planning on ordering a squire line in April.

Jeff

Jeff,

I'm not sure why you refer to the Squire line swords as "real" swords. Granted, we are potentially opening up a substantial philosophical debate when we discuss whether or not a sword is "real" or not. But given that the Squire line swords have edges that are thicker than they'd be on originals, and given that they have rebated tips, I don't think one can refer to them as "real". So long as you're clear about this distinction, everything's fine.
Jeff Gentry

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig

Quote:
Jeff,

I'm not sure why you refer to the Squire line swords as "real" swords. Granted, we are potentially opening up a substantial philosophical debate when we discuss whether or not a sword is "real" or not. But given that the Squire line swords have edges that are thicker than they'd be on originals, and given that they have rebated tips, I don't think one can refer to them as "real". So long as you're clear about this distinction, everything's fine.

well the squire line can be sharpened and those tip's sure don't look to rebated( i did handle the 13th cent.great sword at a roundtable) , the Maestro line cannot be sharpened and is not intended to for anything but practice it is a totaly diffrent design, that was why i refered to the squire line as "real" sword's .

Jeff

“Princes and Lords learn to survive with this art, in earnest and in play. But if you are fearful, then you should not learn to fence. Because a despondent heart will always be defeated, regardless of all skill.”
- Fechtmeister Sigmund Ringeck, 1440
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's clear from the latest news and changes that Albion's current business model is not working as they intended.

I'm sure that the reason that some models are taking precedence over others is due to the fact that they likely have to receive X number of preorders in order to justify the costs of entering into production. If enough pre-orders are not received they can't cover the cost of manufacture. They can't use the downpayments from other models in order to fund production of less popular ones as they will receive more money from the remaining payments when they produce the more popular ones.

I think it's clear that Albion needs to modify their business plan.

The new Albion Benefactor's plan is alienating the customer base, and I would be surprised that the received few members.

I think Albion needs to look into consolidating their brands, and perhaps produce other items with a broader appeal.

Perhaps an Albion Cutlery line... I know a lot of collectors in the knife world would be more than excited about a new line of Jody Samson balisongs...
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas,

Parts of you idea would certainly help them control costs.

Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think it's also pretty clear that the Film Swords line is likely their least profitable line.

Too much competition from Marto and other companies that produce pure wallhanger versions of the blades.

Granted there are some of Albion's most beautiful best offerings in the line, but there are also a good number that have likely never lived up to sales expectations.

Licensing costs may also be a loss leader for Albion due to a few films turning out to be disasters at the box office, such as Timeline, Sleepy Hollow and the last few Highlander films. There are die-hard fans, but with the wall-hangers from the competition, and steep production and licensing costs...

I would likely refocus the line, and work on reducing costs, and picking up less expensive licenses.

The safest bet, and although many would consider this blasphemy, would be to turn it into a wall-hanger line with the "functional option" being a custom type route.
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Jason wrote:
The safest bet, and although many would consider this blasphemy, would be to turn it into a wall-hanger line with the "functional option" being a custom type route.

I think that Albion would manufacture staplers before they would turn to wallhangers.
Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like I said, it's not preferable, but think about it, what are 99% of the swords in the line used for?

Not many WMA practitioners using the Atlantean for practice...

If it's a choice between losing the line and making it profitable, I think the choice is obvious.
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

While I can understand peoples frustration at having to wait for a pre-ordered item, who would want a compromised product. If a sword takes longer in R&D to perfect, then Albion are only going to release it when it is ready. Instead of being derided for the extra time taken due to whatever circumstances they should be commended for putting in the extra time to get the swords absolutely correct. Think about how the market for historically accurate swords would be without Albion. If they are just another company then why are they the subject of so much discussion? The reason is their products are the best. And although they may have delays with some models, look at all the releases they acheived towards the end of last year.
I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think this will be the last comment I make on this thread.

I called Albion today and talked about my concerns. Mike, as always, was very patient with me and I feel a bit better about everything. With some luck, this will all blow over shortly because we'll have other things to talk about.

If you have concerns, then I think you should take the time to call Albion too. This weekend I spent far to much time speculating on this issue than I should have. Although it was refreshing to vent, it did nothing to put things into perspective, so it really just amounted to a poor use of my time. Todays conversation was much better time allocation.

I'm still reluctant to buy anything else that is not in production until the stuff I already have on order comes into production, but I'm more comfortable that I'll still see things when I expect to see them.

They are in the office now, so in fairness, if you think you have a beef, talk to them.

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
While I can understand peoples frustration at having to wait for a pre-ordered item, who would want a compromised product. If a sword takes longer in R&D to perfect, then Albion are only going to release it when it is ready. Instead of being derided for the extra time taken due to whatever circumstances they should be commended for putting in the extra time to get the swords absolutely correct.

Paul,
Let's use an analogy: Let's say your airline flight is delayed due to a mechanical issue. Many people will be satisfied that the airline took the time to get it right, regardless of how late it makes them. The people in business class whose financial deals are falling apart or the man missing the delivery of his child because of the delay are not consoled. Neither group expects the aircraft to lift off with faulty parts and in an unsafe condition. The bottom line is that the airline has two duties: safety and on-time delivery of people. Some people are willing to overlook the second in favor of the first.

Albion (and most companies in the business world) has two duties: make a good product and get it to their customers. No one here expects Albion will rush a product to completion to the product's (and customer's) detriment. They have a duty to get things "absolutely correct." But some people will hold Albion to their delivery times also, not just to the expectation of a good product.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Roger Hooper

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul Watson wrote:
While I can understand peoples frustration at having to wait for a pre-ordered item, who would want a compromised product. If a sword takes longer in R&D to perfect, then Albion are only going to release it when it is ready. Instead of being derided for the extra time taken due to whatever circumstances they should be commended for putting in the extra time to get the swords absolutely correct. Think about how the market for historically accurate swords would be without Albion. If they are just another company then why are they the subject of so much discussion? The reason is their products are the best. And although they may have delays with some models, look at all the releases they acheived towards the end of last year.

Noble Albion you say? Not I. I say Perfidious Albion!

Just kidding, but I got a real charge out of writing that down Big Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfidious_Albion
Paul Watson

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Paul,
Let's use an analogy: Let's say your airline flight is delayed due to a mechanical issue. Many people will be satisfied that the airline took the time to get it right, regardless of how late it makes them. The people in business class whose financial deals are falling apart or the man missing the delivery of his child because of the delay are not consoled. Neither group expects the aircraft to lift off with faulty parts and in an unsafe condition. The bottom line is that the airline has two duties: safety and on-time delivery of people. Some people are willing to overlook the second in favor of the first.

Albion (and most companies in the business world) has two duties: make a good product and get it to their customers. No one here expects Albion will rush a product to completion to the product's (and customer's) detriment. They have a duty to get things "absolutely correct." But some people will hold Albion to their delivery times also, not just to the expectation of a good product.

Chad, delivery times are important and this is something that Albion are obviously working through, but people were not assesing the delivery on time situation as a whole and the criticism of them seemed to be disproportionate to the actual problems. The analogy you provide is correct in principle although in this situation it does not bear out in direct comparism.

Albion are very good as far as informing people goes, providing updates via their web site with regards to the production of their swords (ie the status of blade design, waxes going off to Peter for final shaping etc). There is no denying that they have set back release dates on some models but if you are going to place a deposit on a product that is still in development then realistically there will be some delays.

Albion have probably removed all release dates due to the negative feedback. Now we have absolutely no indication of time frames, and the argument that the time frames were wrong once again is only applicable to some models. If you look at the models that these apply to it appears to be the more difficult sword types like the Munich which is based on a very intricate sword, and the range of single edged swords. These are ground breaking reproductions and possibly the research involved with them is more than Albion originally anticipated.

If anything Albion are suffering from being too good at what they do, the demands must be high on them to get these swords out because so many people appreciate the value of how the swords are made and want to own one (or more), but instead of compromising the quality of their product they are going to keep on their true path as far as producing these historically accurate swords goes. Any criticism levelled at them must be placed in context with what they are acheiving in the market which as far as I can see is unique. I'm not saying they deserve a free ride and are not answerable, no-one does, but it is dissapointing to see such a great company turned on relatively quickly by some of it's customers. All this talk and speculation of problems is just plain dangerous and less than fully informed, and could become self fulfilling if people take away their support from Albion (ie stop buying the swords).

The price increase was not drastic across the board, Albion warned everyone well in advance and even offered discounts prior to the increase, how many companies keep you that well informed and give you that sort of opportunity with items that are going to be continued to be supplied at an increased price? Some of the top end models seemed to increase a bit more proportionately but many of the swords are within what I would call a reasonable price range.

Once again I would say imagine this market without Albion. How many people reading this own one (or more)? How does that sword compare to others you own? Do you think about the quality of the sword or the $100 you saved on a cheaper option? I would rather own one awesome sword than any number of swords that were less than perfect.

I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, but that which it protects. (Faramir, The Two Towers)
James Nordstrom

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the whole lot of you need a little of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Swiss_cheese_cubes.jpg with your comments.

Seems to me that every time a sword maker becomes a little more successful than they had originally thought they get a tad behind schedule. And of course threads like this come up and regurgitate well beaten over ground.

Sheese.

Also, as to the price increase, I do not know about the lot of you, but my gas bill is up 60% from last year at this time. Having been to Albion I can only imagine what their energy costs have gone up.

Cheers
Jim
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

James Nordstrom wrote:
I think the whole lot of you need a little of this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Swiss_cheese_cubes.jpg with your comments.

Seems to me that every time a sword maker becomes a little more successful than they had originally thought they get a tad behind schedule. And of course threads like this come up and regurgitate well beaten over ground.

Sheese.

Also, as to the price increase, I do not know about the lot of you, but my gas bill is up 60% from last year at this time. Having been to Albion I can only imagine what their energy costs have gone up.

Cheers
Jim

I agree that we shouldn't overdo the negativity: I only hope they don't get into trouble trying to do too much too soon all at once. Eek!

Some bitching, but mostly self-interested concern for their long term viability I think and hopefully some constructive criticism.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 06 Mar, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity... Question

Albion's price increase has obviously caused quite a stir, otherwise this topic wouldn't be taking up 4 pages (and counting). Other swordmakers have increased their prices from time to time and we say "D'oh!" and not make a big fuss of it. So why the big fuss of Albion's price increase?

Is it because some models saw a higher margin of increase than others? Is it because of the delays in production? Our mixed emotions of their Benefactor's Society?

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Albion website updated
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: