Good source for mid 16th century clothing?
Anyone have a resource. I've done some googling on Tudor and Elizabethan era stuff but came up rather cold with only minimal and somewhat dissappointing results. Lot's of stuff for Tudor and Elizabethan gowns, nothing really for Scottish, Irish or even Spanish gear. Sykes Sutlery seems hopeful but only for certain items. I've got plenty of historical resources but no one who I can find who fits the bill of Northern English/Scottish borderer or 1500's Irish/Highland. Send some help my way. Thanks.
One of my guys has a small online portfolio of his work set up here:

http://tomfoolery.gsmbristol.org/

He does commission work, although his day job is taking up a bit more time than usual right now. In the past works section of the site he has a Scottish late 16th century doublet that he made for a wedding recently.

Hope that helps!
Thanks you two. I guess I recall that, you Jessica, had worked on one Irish shirt in the past. Thanks for the reminder :)
Chris Last wrote:
One of my guys has a small online portfolio of his work set up here:

http://tomfoolery.gsmbristol.org/

Hope that helps!

Chris;

That 16th Century style buff coat that Tom is "reverse engineering" looks like a nfty project. What sort of leather is he using for the project? I've been tempted to make one up in brain-tan moose, since it ought to be just about perfect for the job (AND there is at least one Colonial-made 17th Century buff coat still extant made from Moose as I recall...or is it Elk?)

My own 16th Century style buff coat is done from a Janet Arnold pattern from her "Cut of Men's and Women's Clothes 1560-1620", which is a wonderful book for anyone with a desire to see what the actual silhouettes of the period really look like. Plus the cut is REALLY cool! Definitely worth a look into.

Allons!

Gordon
The buff coat project is made up of primarily 8 oz Elk. The under sleeves are 4 oz, and I belive the outer sleeves will be another layer of 4.

The coat style is based off of a couple examples, primarily a cassock pattern from Juan De Alcega's "Tailor's Pattern Book of 1589."

For more pictures on the step by step construction you can check this link on our forum:

http://www.gsmbristol.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=615
Chris;

Thanks! Young Tom seems to be well on his way to becoming a perfect tailor for you all! Excellent.

I've been building saddle holsters of late, using the same stitch to butt the sides together. It's a pain, but it certainly makes for a much more serviceable holster that doesn't have a nasty seam to rub the horse's sensitive skin raw with.

Cheers!

Gordon

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: