Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I need someone to help me in my studies. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Garret Spenst

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: I need someone to help me in my studies.         Reply with quote

Hi, my name is Garret Spenst. I am doing a report at the North Fork School; my topic is Arms and Armor. If you have an answer to any of the below questions, please send an email to green_yellow28@hotmail.com.

Thank you,
Garret Spenst
North Fork School
McCall, Idaho

1. What can you tell me about how ancient weapons are similar to resent day weapons?
2. What weapons do we use today that are similar to the ones used in the ancient times?
3. What material is used today to make weapon or armor similar to the past weapons or armor?
4. How has the design of the arms and armor improved from the past?
5. Has technology help in advancing the overall use of weapons or armor?
6. In your opinion, what is the most effective weapon from a soldier’s point of view?
7. What is the most effective armor from a soldier’s point of view?
8. The least effective…
9. How reliable are today’s weapons/ armor compared to ones from the past?
10. How has performance improved from the past if it has at all?
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No offense, but a lot of these questions seem a little to general in the context of your research to really be answerable. The question of materials or "best" weapon/worst weapon or armor is really dependant on opinion or the situation.

The reliability question has me a little confused. In terms of effectiveness, potential to malfunction, or something else? I suppose since a sword doesn't run out of ammunition and has no moving parts, would be more effective as long as it's sharpened, in terms of not working. In terms of effectiveness (i.e. casualty count), I think the guns wins...

Last edited by Addison C. de Lisle on Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: I need someone to help me in my studies.         Reply with quote

Garret Spenst wrote:
Hi, my name is Garret Spenst. I am doing a report at the North Fork School; my topic is Arms and Armor. If you have an answer to any of the below questions, please send an email to green_yellow28@hotmail.com.

Thank you,
Garret Spenst
North Fork School
McCall, Idaho

1. What can you tell me about how ancient weapons are similar to resent day weapons?

They kill stuff.

2. What weapons do we use today that are similar to the ones used in the ancient times?

Knifes. Pretty much the only ones.

3. What material is used today to make weapon or armor similar to the past weapons or armor?

Steel. Because it is hard, cheap, and easy to use.

It kills stuff more and faster, and does this while the stuff beeing killed is quite long way from you, thus allowing yourself to kill stuff without dying

Yup.

6. In your opinion, what is the most effective weapon from a soldier’s point of view?

Assault rifle. Alternately, jet fighter bomber, if vehicles count

Class III+ Balistic west. Or Main Battle Tank.

8. The least effective…

Carboard box. Alternately, jeep with canvas rag top.

Quite. Rifles run out of ammo, but can be used as club with great reliability.

Easier to use. More stuff dies.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is your assignment to interview people and get answers to these questions, or to research and be able to support what you present with sources?
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Philip C. Ryan

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Designed with one thing in mind...to kill the other person. About the only similarity, since warfare today is conducted from range (generally), while it was mostly close combat before.

Knives. But also (if you look at WWI and WWII) bayonets attached to a rifle are similar to using a short spear.

Steel and iron. Everything else today is man made synthetic materials.

Elling summed up the arms part perfectly. As far as armor, todays small amount of body armor focuses on materials that are extremely lightweight compared to steel/ iron.

Always. Weapons were designed to penetrate existing armors. And armor designed to withstand existing weapons. Viscious little circle.

hehe, Elling nailed it.

Elling nailed it again.

8. The least effective…

Cardboard box...wow, I can't argue with that! : ) But back off the Jeeps!! <comforts his Jeep lovingly> As far as body armor, in todays high powered warfare, it is all about worthless in the big picture.

Elling again put in nicely ! Way I look at it, the more moving parts, the greater chance it has to break. For modern warfare, modern weapons are as reliable as much as medieval weapons were for the warfare in medieval times.

Easier to use, just like Elling said. Instead of learning how to handle a sword, or spear, or shield....you now just need to learn how to aim and pull triggers, or puch buttons.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Garret;

I'm just guessing here but I think that most of those who have answered you so far are assuming that you are sort of
" hoping " that we will write your paper for you. Wink

Now, their answers were sort of short in word count but actually true if maybe a little sarcastic. Eek!

If you ask specific questions after a little reading on your own I'm sure you will get more helpful answers.

Now I don't know how much you know about history so pardon me if your questions leave me to suspect, not much !
Well, one has to start somewhere and I don't blame you as I doubt that you would have picked up much at school and not much more in the general media.

I guess the main problem is that to answer your questions one would have to write a thick book to even start to cover everything.

Your best bet to get up to speed would be to find one book to introduce you to the subject that deals in the history of weapons from ancient times to today: Look up the " BOOKS " feature at the top right of the " myArmoury " page.

Once there, you should search for general arms history books dealing with arms and armour.

If I was little familiar with history in general I would start by splitting the subject into digestible chunks:
1) Prehistory ( Cave men )
2) Ancient history: Egypt, Greek, Roman ( You could add Chinese, Japanese, Indian histories later if you want to deal with other areas of the world )
3) Dark Ages / Medieval / Renaissance
4) Each of the 17th 18th and 19th centuries can be studied as a gradual progression of the same basic weapons and
techniques
5) Mid 19th century to today everything technological changed very fast as opposed to previous centuries were one could
see little or no major changes in one's life time. ( All of this applying to general technology as well as weapon
technology. )

Anyway, good luck with your project and if you are lucky you might end up enjoying reading about history because it is interesting and not just a school project to get through.Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Dave Womble

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First of all, I think you can find this information on your own if you look...you're essentially asking us to write your paper for you Wink

However, I understand the youth of today want everything quick and easy, no effort...and since trying to explain otherwise to them is similar to repeatedly smashing my skull into a wall, I'll just answer them to the best of my ability:

Quote:
What can you tell me about how ancient weapons are similar to resent day weapons?

The primary infantry weapon of the ancient/medieval soldier was the spear. We see that today with the bayonet on the rifle. The rifle is to a modern soldier like a spear/bow & arrow combo would be to the ancient/medieval soldier. Killing from range is the preferred way to fight, just as it was back then...they didnt use thrown axes, spears, javelins, corssbows, catapults and arrows for nothing you know. Hand to hand is still important though....archers ran out of arrows just like soldiers get empty clips. Knowing how to fight with your spear (rifle w/ bayonet), your club (flashlight, fist, rifle butt, pistol grip, or any other wieldable item with enough mass to cause severe blunt trauma), and your sword (K-Bar or similar combat knife) will save your life when the ammo runs out and the radio doesn't work.

Ancient siege weapons were the precursors to todays artillery and missiles. construction and materials changed, general premise hasnt.

Quote:
What weapons do we use today that are similar to the ones used in the ancient times?

Some of this has been answered above. bullets, bombs, missiles and artillery shells are just bigger, faster and more damaging sling stones, catapult stones, flaming pitch, arrows and bolts. A lot of modern body armour is designed the same way as ancient armour...the shapes of the pieces, the style (flack jackets and similar defenses resemble medieval brigandines and coats of plates) and there are new prototype armours based on ancient/medieval scale armour and mail.
A sharp blade serves a modern soldier just as well as a Roman Legionaire, a viking, a samurai, a knight, etc. Biological warfare is a not new technique. launching corpses of animals and the enemy into towns and over castle walls to spread disease...poisoning water supplies were done...today we use anthrax, mustard gas, nerve agents...the result is the same...only the lethality and speed with which you get the results has changed.

Quote:
What material is used today to make weapon or armor similar to the past weapons or armor?

Iron and steel, any material that is light and rigid enough to be shaped into a defensive garment. Brass is used in shell casings....latten (an earlier alloy similar to modern brass) was used for armour fittings, armour decorations, and plating on various pieces of military equipment. synthetic fibers....plant fibers were used to make armour in some parts of the world throughout history.

Quote:
How has the design of the arms and armor improved from the past?

Ranges, destructive power, speed, combat survivability and kill ratios have all improved greatly.

Quote:
Has technology help in advancing the overall use of weapons or armor?

To an extent...but bare in mind its not just technology that advanced arms and armour design....many other factors contributed...governments, religion, fashion, economics to name a few.
Quote:

In your opinion, what is the most effective weapon from a soldier’s point of view?

The modern soldier needs a variety of weapons to accomplish his missions...so did the ancient/medieval one. You need the right tool for the job...there is no "best" weapon. Many weapons can perform a variety of functions, but they dont perform all of them superbly. The ancient/medieval soldier likely prefered something that would make his enemy dead before his enemy made him dead...a bow and arrows...javelins....a 6 to 12 foot (up to 20'!) spear/pike, and a handy backup weapon for when the fighting got up close and personal..a sword or axe. Remember, most ancient/medieval warriors were lightly armoured, or unarmoured save for a shield. The modern soldier needs a gun that is lightweight, accurate, has a high magazine capacity, rapid rate of fire, is rugged and reliable, and easy to care for and maintain.

Quote:
What is the most effective armor from a soldier’s point of view?

Like I said...armour was the exception, not the rule on the ancient/medieval battlefield. Mail was in use for over a thousand years all over the known world. It was a very effective defense against the threat environment it was exposed to. Other armours were also effective. The advent of plate armour made a knight nearly untouchable on the battlefield. Though keep in mind, the idea when attacking a man in full armour is to attack where the armour ISN'T. Good armour must be fitted to the wearer, made of lightweight materials, be easy to care for on the go, not be cumbersome, and it must keep you alive. Soldiers dont use or wear anything that doesnt directly keep them alive (many accounts thru history of soldiers ditching gear issued them that wasnt useful). The modern soldiers needs and wants havnt changed. Strong, lightweight, easy to move in.

Quote:
The least effective…

For the ancient/medieval soldier, in general, something was better than nothing...obviously cloth based defenses were not as good as rigid metallic armours. Even hardened leather was better than nothing. The modern soldier? I have no idea...I know many marines and army guys who complained a lot about the body armour they were issued...and Ive read accounts in WWII and other past modern wars where armour that was issued was useless for the types of threats the soldiers were being exposed to.

Quote:
How reliable are today’s weapons/ armor compared to ones from the past?

Both past and present weapons and defneses have their drawbacks. Guns jam, misfire, get damaged...equipment fails..electronics get bugs and glitches....armour straps and fastenings come undone and rip/tear...helmets fall down over the eyes...ancient/medieval equipment was the same...armour had poor fit...inferior construction techniques and materials caused blades to break, armour to fail....misuse/abuse by the soldiers causes equipment to malfunction.

Quote:
How has performance improved from the past if it has at all?

Most of this has already been answered.....ranges, destructive power, kill ratios and enhanced communications have made modern weapons far and away higher performing than ancient/medieval ones.

That should get you started.

Dave

"Violence might not be the answer, but it sure cuts down on the number of questions."
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 5:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Elling hits the nail on the head..in more ways then one...;)
W. R. Reynolds

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One thing all of you guys are missing is the question about the most effective weapon available from the soldiers point of view. That weapon would be his mind, with which he can imporovise, adapt and overcome. Semper Fi.
Bill

"No matter who wins the rat race.......they are still a rat."

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > I need someone to help me in my studies.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic