I am currently researching Petersen Type X swords with single-edged blades. I have a custom project in mind and a blade smith willing to make it. However, I would like some assistance and input from the sword community regarding this particular design.

Petersen refers to two examples of Type X swords from the late Viking Age that have single-edged blades quite different from those of the preceding period. The main differences seem to be that the blades are wide and thin in comparison to single-edge blades of the earlier Viking Age. Peirce also makes reference to this in his work on Viking swords but adds no additional information. Please see pages 2-3 of the attached link to Petersen.

http://www.aiusa.com/medsword/petersen/ptsn158x.html

I have performed a search for the two examples listed by Petersen and found no further information or pics of the archaeological specimens.

If anyone has knowledge of these two Type X single-edge blades or links to information or museum pics, I would greatly appreciate it if you would post on this thread.

Also, general opinions of the design possibilities would be constructive and help in the planning process!

Thanks,

Rob :D