14th century living history
I am hoping some of yall can assist me here. I have two friends that is wanting to delve into 14th century british living history...beginning with the clothing (of course) and armor. I have done a bit of searching, but have turned up nothing but mediocre sites/ organizations. Being focused on Viking Age myself, I am not very versed on the info of this century.

I am hoping yall have some links to some informative sites and/or living history groups focusing on this time period. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.
You might want to try looking at this previously posted topic:

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6068
As far as clothing goes, you may want to look at http://www.revivalclothing.com

I've found Sarah Thursfield's book Medieval Tailor's Assistant to be a helpful introductory text. The book covers many civilian garments for men and women in the 14th century. A link to Amazon's page for this is here. I enjoyed this one because she explains why clothes were made a certain way as well as how. I think this would be a great starting point if your group intends to make your own garments.
Thomas O'Neal wrote:
I've found Sarah Thursfield's book Medieval Tailor's Assistant to be a helpful introductory text. The book covers many civilian garments for men and women in the 14th century. A link to Amazon's page for this is here. I enjoyed this one because she explains why clothes were made a certain way as well as how. I think this would be a great starting point if your group intends to make your own garments.

This book, and thousands of other titles (perhaps even Amazon's whole inventory), is available through the Bookstore section of myArmoury.com. Purchases made using the links in our bookstore help fund this site. The bookstore also allows members to create reading lists, rate, and review books. Readers of our site can use this tool to see not only Amazon customer's ratings and review, but those of our site's members as well.

Here is the page for this book: http://www.myArmoury.com/books/item.php?ASIN=0896762394
Re: 14th century living history
Philip C. Ryan wrote:
I am hoping some of yall can assist me here. I have two friends that is wanting to delve into 14th century british living history...beginning with the clothing (of course) and armor. I have done a bit of searching, but have turned up nothing but mediocre sites/ organizations. Being focused on Viking Age myself, I am not very versed on the info of this century.

I am hoping yall have some links to some informative sites and/or living history groups focusing on this time period. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

There are a whole bunch of good books you can look at. "Daily life in Chaucers England" is a good high-level overview, the Museum of London books "Textiles and Clothing" "Shoes and Pattens" "The Medieval Household" "Dress Accessories" and "Knives and Scabbards" are practically must-haves.

For Armour, you can't go past "Armour from the Battle of Wisby", and for clothing Else Ostegard's recently-published "Woven Into the Earth" is an excellently detailed look at clothing found in 14th century settlements in Greenland. Even though they are written from Scandinavian sources they have a lot of relevance to the rest of Europe at the time.

I've had good luck with oxbow books as an online supplier.
Thanks for those links yall, I really do appreciate it. I think they will be very content with the info found in them.

Hey, Chad. When I try to access either that link, or the general bookstore link, I get the message "unable to access this cache". Any ideas why???
Philip C. Ryan wrote:
Hey, Chad. When I try to access either that link, or the general bookstore link, I get the message "unable to access this cache". Any ideas why???

Not really. I'm not having the same issue; it's been working for me every time in the last few days I've used the Bookstore. If it persists, please contact Nathan with the issue and tell him important things like your OS name and version, browser name and version, etc.
Odd, it's working for me now. I'll keep an eye on it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: