Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > gun show find my first Del Tins Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: gun show find my first Del Tins         Reply with quote

At a gun show here this weekend I found three of the older DT/MRL blades and these are them
Moonbrand
Ballock dagger and Basilard dagger
All were about fifty bucks grand total.
I am preety sure these are from the time of when MRL and DT were together because all the blade have the running wolf stamp and the ballock has MRL stamped on the guard. very happy with this group but it will make me go to gun shows more often.
Dunc

Attachment: 30.37 KB
Dscf3786.jpg

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

I saw your post over at the Sword Forum. Congratulations! Lovely looking sword! and what a bargain!
There's something about that Moonbrand blade... I'd love to swing that around... Or even better have that blade fitted with a basket hilt! Now that would be something!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like you got a fantastic deal! Congratulations.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 22 Feb, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Fellas just got lucky this time.
Moonbrand is a heck of a cutter and very well balanced for such a heavy sword.

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Mike West

PostPosted: Fri 24 Feb, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Del Tin's Moonbrand, my favorite sword!         Reply with quote

I have 3 of 'em! One was purchased with a peppering of black rust on a fairly well polished blade and, a dark patina on the hilt, but is otherwise in decent condition. The second was one that I bought from a British fellow who apparently bought it from Nathan Bell last year and, is pictured on this very site in the collections section. Nice and, shiny. The other one was from Eddie Floyd, but is more of a hand and half sword with an oval shaped pommels, and a 5.5" hard wood grip.

The sword is heavy, but well-balanced in the Moonbrand form and, Eddie's version sings with two hands. I've never seen any other maker's swords that is 3" wide at the base. It gives a massive look to the sword.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Del Tin's Moonbrand, my favorite sword!         Reply with quote

Mike West wrote:
I've never seen any other maker's swords that is 3" wide at the base. It gives a massive look to the sword.

Albion's Sovereign is 3 inches wide at the base and weighs 2 pounds 10 ounces.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mike West

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 8:30 am    Post subject: Albion's sovereign.         Reply with quote

Thanks. If that one comes out on the used market someday, perhaps I'll check it out. I think they have a similiar sword coming out in the near future.
George Doby

PostPosted: Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

good find!! most blades at shows round here are junk or antiques. which show was that? i make most all of them w/in 100 mile range of me, never seen any good replicas. now if you go and find any mosin/nagant w/ SA in box on receiver let me know they are junk and i need to get them off of the market Big Grin
don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but about the Sovereign and Sherriff. . .

On paper (meaning the concept drawings) both of these type XIVs look very similar - one is a little fancier, one a little more reserved aesthetically. I was just at the shop in New Glarus and had the opportunity to examine one of the Sherriff blades patiently waiting for its hilt bits.

These two swords will be night and day to each other in regards to handling. Cool

For anyone (like me) who was thinking that they could live with just having one or the other to represent the type, think again. Cheers to Peter for again showing very clearly the range of variety in a single sword type Happy
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Continuing just a moment with Jonathon’s non-hijack of the thread:

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
… about the Sovereign and Sherriff. . .On paper (meaning the concept drawings) both of these type XIVs look very similar - one is a little fancier, one a little more reserved aesthetically. I was just at the shop in New Glarus and had the opportunity to examine one of the Sherriff blades patiently waiting for its hilt bits.

These two swords will be night and day to each other in regards to handling. Cool

I’d had the impression that the Sovereign and Sherriff used the same blade. I suppose the fact that Albion’s site displays the Sherriff specs as “TBA” should have been a hint that I was wrong. After seeing Jonathon’s post, I went back to look at these two pieces. There is the obvious difference that the Sovereign has two fullers, and the Sherriff only one. However, on closer inspection, I note that the profiles of the two blades have some subtle differences. When these differences are combined with the unspecified blade length and whatever is going on with the distal taper, Jonathon's remark on different handling makes a lot of sense.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 26 Feb, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve, the blade length is very close to the Sovereign. The Sherriff still has the slight flare of the blade at the cross I found very attractive on the Sovereign, as seen in the concept drawings. You will be amazed to feel the difference in removing the metal from the blade that makes up the central ridge between the Sovereign's fullers; there's quite a bit more steel there than I figured at first glance. . .

Where the Sovereign is quick, the Sherriff's going to fly Cool .

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > gun show find my first Del Tins
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic