Go to page 1, 2  Next

Alatriste: 17th Century Spain Film
Looks as though Viggo Mortensen is at it again, with swords and horses and adventure:

http://www.fox.es/cinema/alatriste-11015/11015/

http://www.capitan-alatriste.com/modules.php?...&pos=0

Pikes and Matchlock Muskets, lots of swordplay, Battle of Rocroi: looks like it might be a pretty nifty film!

!Adelante! !Santiago y a ellos!

Gordon
That looks fun. I loved the shot of the pikes! *giggle*

Yes, pike and shotte make me giggle..

Thanks for the links Gordon!
Ryan;

You are most welcome. The pics of the Spanish reenactors training for the battle are pretty cool too... especially the Cavalry Charge. But I think I can do better... we'll see! :D

Adelante!

Gordon
Gordon;

When is the film coming out and will there be an English or for me a French version. :p :lol:
Jean;

I understand that the Spanish version will be released in December, so you'll just have to muddle through with subtitles! But since it has a "Battle of Rocroi" where the French rather decisively beat the Spaniards and broke the myth of "The Invincible Tercios", I suspect you'll be happy to watch it in any language, LOL!

:cool:

Allons!

Gordon
I love the books, and this is looking very promising. *fingers crossed*

At the least, Viggo's got the 'stache. :D
Realy cool
These training pictures are realy cool.

They can give a you a good idea what kind of reallness reanactors can achive...
As long as your not affraid to get your outfit dirty...
Especialy the one man sitting alone inside, his gear is so verry basic, but yet so realistic, realy cool and inspiring!!

Folkert
Gordon;

No problem with sub-titles but I wonder if " Spanish " DVDs are even available up here in Quebec ???

We do have some people of Hispanic origin living here but in Quebec Bilingual means English and French and not English and Spanish as in California.

This is one you might keep an eye out for me when it comes out ! ;) ;) ;) :lol:
I'll second the giggling. Pike and shott make me happy. The images look great, I confess I never read the books though.

Quote:
The pics of the Spanish reenactors training for the battle are pretty cool too... especially the Cavalry Charge. But I think I can do better... we'll see! Big Grin

Is there another film opportunity coming up? Inquiring pike blocks want to know! :)
Chris Last wrote:

Is there another film opportunity coming up? Inquiring pike blocks want to know! :)

Chris;

I WISH! But no, just hoping that my training of Horse for the upcoming School of the Renaissance Soldier goes well, and that my Caracole goes according to plan... :eek:

Boy, wouldn't it be GREAT to do a film like this one though? Oy, such dreams!

Allons!

Gordon
An article by the author of the book about Alatriste: (translated from spanish):

http://viggo-works.com/index.php?page=479

There are some other articles about Alatriste there as well. Good reading!

/Lars
Thanks Lars! That's a pretty cool site, nifty insights as to what ol' Viggo does for his characters. And of the character of Alatriste himself.

Adelante!

Gordon
New site
Hey all, feel like I should ressurect this thread as I'm in Zaragoza right now and am seeing posters and ads all over the place! It's got a new, flashy website http://www.alatristelapelicula.com/ and the preview I've seen on the tele look highly interesting, if not entirely factual. Lots of musketry!
Thanks for resurrecting the topic, Alex. The trailer didn't work for me, but it looks interesting. Fortunately, I won't have to wait for the English version.
:D Hi, people.. let me introduce myself, as this is my first message around here...

I come from Spain, and I,m known as Alraune, historical dressmaker, and a fanatic of historical events.

Alatriste was released last August, and I still haven,t seen it. There are lots of bad reviews coming from Spanish reenactors, due to the lack of reality on some aspects, like the story itself, some characters, I will have soon my own oppinion, and I hope to say something about it.
The film has been selected along with other two to represent Spain on the Oscar awards, it would be good to win it, hi hi!!!

I,ll let you know my oppinion as soon as O see it, ok???
Chari;

Welcome! And thank you for the update. I for one would very much appreciate hearing more about the film.

¡Adelante!

Gordon
I'm from Spain to. I've been lurking this forum for almost a year but usually I dont write due to two reasons:

Im not used to write in English
I see more Knowledgeable people than me around here (and usually reply faster :D )

But now is about the preferences of each one so i'll try.

Those who have not read the books about Alatriste think taht the movie is good but not spectacular, with flaws like bad cut (montaje) or an a bad sound track

Those who have read the books says the movie lacks a lot of histories. Five books in two and a half hours

And those who practice european martial arts have a lot of different oppinions :D , some say is a good action movie, but a bad adaptation of the books, or the chosen actors doesn't fit the characters, etc...

It's a movie, not a documental.
Ander;

A Welcome to you as well, and thank you for the information on Alatriste. Even though it is no doubt not as good as it ought to be, or could be, I still look forward to seeing it, since there are so few movies out there set in the period of Pike and Musket. And those that ARE made seldom have a Spaniard as the main character, so this shall be quite refreshing no matter what. As you said, "it's a movie, not a documentary". :D

Thanks for posting!

¡Santiago y a ellos!

Gordon
oh, I've forgot

I've seen the movie and I like it :p
:D Gordon, thanks for you welcome!! I,ll give some news about the film soon...
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: