Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I have the sword I have been searching for... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Randolph Howard

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: I have the sword I have been searching for...         Reply with quote

Well Gentlemen,
I have my Mainz pattern Gladius from Albion armourers, and I must say that it is truly lovely. When I was swinging my wooden replicas I had a great sense of fun about the use of the Roman Republican sword, but now all the fun is gone; the joy however is doubled. When you hold the, actually rather large, blade in your hand, you really feel what it was meant to do. You feel the kind of resistance it might have met: a solid weapon facing ranks of other solid weapons- the sheer strength of such a wide and sturdy blade searing throught iron mail: it is certainly meant to do so, for it is as sharp as could be. Not so fun- but it fills one with an infinite respect for the way in which 'civilisation' was spread around the European continent. I myself am a devotee of Plato, but Plato would not have reached out to western shores without the use of the sword. A strange paradox that the most advanced philosophy must be spread by warfare.
I must thank the Albion team, of course the wonderful Mike, with whom many of you are no doubt familiar, but I must also thank this site- the authors who created such wonderful resources for the historian, but most notably some certain individuals:
Patrick, who advised me on my purchase- how right he was!
Daniel, how wonderfully a good argument can get you embroiled in your subject!
Elling, I await your powerful viking beards of wrath!
Mr Wallgren, the one-handed sword manuel was not exactly classical in taste, but all the more deadly for it: no-one expects a roman to know techniques 400 years after his time!

Most of all, thanks to Nathan Robinson for providing a site which turned me from a luckless novice to something like an educated man in the art of sword-buying. Without this place I would not have found the perfect weapon for me.

I will endeavour to give something back in return for my fortune: I am currently working on a dissertation regarding Thucydides' philosophy on the political science of the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta. If I make any progress, you shall be the first to know.

Best Regards,
R.

"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day."
-Thucydides.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats! Any chance of a picture or two of your new acquisition?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is great to hear you found the sword of your dreams, Randolph. Pics would be really cool, I don't think I've seen any pics (other than on the albion site) of any of the new Roman swords. Congrats. I understand what you mean about being grateful to this site, and the people here. I doubt that I would have ever become a serious collector/ student of the sword if not for this site. Let me add my thanks...now back to Randolphs Gladius.

Enjoy

Kenton
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I have the sword I have been searching for...         Reply with quote

Randolph Howard wrote:
...I have my Mainz pattern Gladius from Albion armourers....
Congratulations! Can we assume that you purchased the Next Generation "Allectus"? Or did you get the First Generation Mainz? I have one of the First Gen Mainz pieces and love it. I have to believe that the Allectus is a big improvement, though.

Randolph Howard wrote:
...I will endeavour to give something back in return for my fortune: I am currently working on a dissertation regarding Thucydides' philosophy on the political science of the Peloponnesian War between Athens and Sparta. If I make any progress, you shall be the first to know....
I look forward to reading your dissertation!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > I have the sword I have been searching for...
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic