Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword drawings Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Sun 19 Feb, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wenger is an abomination.

I suppose I ought to stay on topic, though. I doodle swords constantly. The problem is that, along with every doodle I do, they all end up getting trashed later without a second thought. I'll try to replicate some of my more interesting designs later and post them here.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
The Wenger (mispelled it previously) knives have a cross inside of a rectangle/square which has rounded corners. Victrinox knives have a cross inside a more complex renaissance-type shield. Both are, at least to my understanding, licensed maunfactuers of "Swiss Army" knives (in the same way that both Colt and Fabrique Nationale make M16's), but I think that Victrinox tends to make the better quality knives. The last bit is just my opinion, of course.

-Grey

MacGyver also preferred Victorinox.

During the show he had three different folders: he began with a Victorinox "Tinker", which he gave away at the beginning of the first season ("The Thief of Budapest") and got a Wenger. This was soon replaced with another Victorinox "Tinker". For the remainder of the show, he varied between the familiar "Tinker" and a "Traveller", both by Victorinox.

Don't ask how I know all this. Big Grin

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 5:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mikko Kuusirati wrote:
MacGyver also preferred Victorinox.

During the show he had three different folders: he began with a Victorinox "Tinker", which he gave away at the beginning of the first season ("The Thief of Budapest") and got a Wenger. This was soon replaced with another Victorinox "Tinker". For the remainder of the show, he varied between the familiar "Tinker" and a "Traveller", both by Victorinox.

Don't ask how I know all this.

I watched a little MacGyver when I was younger, but I don't remember most of it. Maybe it planted a seed in my unconscious, though, as the "Tinker" is my favourite Victorinox knife. I have an Outdoorsman at the moment, but I really should get back the tinker that is sitting in Colorado.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have access to a scanner myself but as soon as possible I will take some digital pictures of some scetches. Regarding the drawing in class thing I find I pay better attention when I can keep my hands busy with something like sketching. Also I happen to be a visual arts major and I am always trying to incorperate arms and armour into my class art pieces. Earlier this year for my "make two 12" tall clay figures interacting" assignment I made two gentlemen dueling with sword and buckler. Boy I love my art classes Happy At some point I hope to make a 100 years war themed clay chess set. Now that would be cool.
Shae Bishop

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are a few sketches i gathered up. Most are very loosely historically based concepts I imagined would look neat which I put down on paper.

Attachment: 94.2 KB
Cut+Thrust.JPG

Attachment: 90.95 KB
Fleur-de-lis Sword.JPG

Attachment: 117.01 KB
FloralHiltRapier.JPG

Shae Bishop

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

and a few more...

Attachment: 78.72 KB
ShellCutlassHilt.JPG

Attachment: 91.16 KB
ShellGaurd.JPG

Attachment: 97.93 KB
ShellGaurdBroadsword.JPG

Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 20 Feb, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You know, Shae, those are really nice designs...

One minor nitpick is with the last shell hilted sword, in that there's no room for the finger to loop around the ricasso, so those finger rings wouldn't really be functional... but then again, that's true of the Sinclair hilt hanger, too, which is a historical design. But that little nitpick is really nothing, you've got a good eye for proportion and design that captures the historical flair.

(and Kirk, I also really love your drawings!)

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Shae Bishop

PostPosted: Tue 21 Feb, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, I really appreciate your comment. I had not noticed that fact when I drew the sword. I will keep that in mind in the future.
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was thinking of starting a thread on weapon designs for my first post! I'm glad that I searched for it.
I tend to lean towards designs that have highly organic elements to their appearance. Almost as though one could envision them being formed by natural forces themselves. Having grown up in a wooded area, this particular form of artistic expression has been heavily influenced by my surroundings.
Finally, I try to envision designs that show a high degree of originality with very little influence from historical designs that would idealy still be effective weapons. I may post some of my more exotic designs later.

Attachment: 59.02 KB
This war-hammer design is one of my current favorites. The scythe-like blade opposite the head would be highly effective at hacking and slashing; however, a friend of mine and I have debated over rather or not it would be as effective at piercing armor. [ Download ]

Attachment: 99.1 KB
The Basket-Hilt saber is a fair representation of my flair for organic designs; being influenced by an image of a spider web spun between the branches of a tree. [ Download ]

From the hundred year war
To the Crimea
With a Lance and a Musket and a Roman Spear
To all of the Men who have stood with no fear
In the Service of the King
-The Clash: The Card Cheat
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 06 Apr, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome aboard, Korey. Happy I like the spider web basket hilt! The use of shading in your sketches gives an almost three dimensional quality to them, they seem (at least on my screen) to almost stand off of the paper. Nice work. Happy
Jay Barron

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 07 Apr, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A few years ago I asked forumite Scott Byler to help me design a Middle Earth inspired fantasy leafbladed sword.

Attachment: 17.46 KB
PW Leafblade picture by Scott Byler.jpg
Here's what he came up with...

Attachment: 34.02 KB
PW Leafblade3Redux.gif
Here's the end result by Al Massey and Glen Parrell. I think the overall look was captured pretty well...
Shae Bishop

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's a beautiful sword, Jay. I am a huge LOTR fan and I love to see midddle-earth enspired pieces. The blade is especially interesting.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
That's a beautiful sword, Jay. I am a huge LOTR fan and I love to see midddle-earth enspired pieces. The blade is especially interesting.

Hi Shae. The blade was forged by Al Massey. It's a pattern welded 15N20/1095 combo. Glen Parrell made the hilt with cable damascus furniture. In case you're interested, here are the stats...

Overall length: 34"
Blade length: 25"
Hilt length: 9.5"
Grip length: 6.5"
Guard width: 6.25"
Ricasso length: 3.5"
Blade width at guard: 1.75"
Blade width at 7" from guard (waist): 1"
Blade width at 15" from guard (flare): 1.75"
Blade width 2" from tip: 0.75"
Weight: 2lbs.
Point of balance: 3" from guard
Center of percussion: 16" from guard
Shae Bishop

PostPosted: Sat 08 Apr, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the stats, Jay.
Korey J. Lavoie

PostPosted: Mon 10 Apr, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Scott. Weapons are my specialty when it comes to illustration, I've been drawing them since as far back as I can remember.
Seeing what was done with the concept illustration and end product that you posted is giving me some ideas Jay . . . However, I couldn't possibly afford to have any of my design's commisioned at this point. I also intend to attempt to forge them myself once I get the opportunity.

Chivalry's Final Stand is based on how I would modify the design of an actual historic combination weapon. I have an odd, somewhat idealistic view of combination weapons as being an attempt to integrate the utilitarianism of firearms with the more honorable connotations of the Sword.

White Noise/Black Silence is my ideal vision of a knife that I actually forged from an old file at a camp-fire years ago. It's what I would have attempted to do if I had been fortunate enough to be capable of meeting my ideal expectations.
Anyone care to guess where I took it's name from?

Attachment: 23.42 KB
Chivalry's final Stand.JPG

Attachment: 29.98 KB
White Noise - Black Silence.JPG

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Korey J. Lavoie wrote:
Chivalry's Final Stand is based on how I would modify the design of an actual historic combination weapon. I have an odd, somewhat idealistic view of combination weapons as being an attempt to integrate the utilitarianism of firearms with the more honorable connotations of the Sword.

Indeed, combination weapons offer many interesting possibilites. I kind of like the idea of this: http://www.handgonnes.com/id159.html, a combo halberd/handgonne. I also like your concept of a bit more contemporary looking combo. Good stuff. Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Korey J. Lavoie wrote:

Indeed, combination weapons offer many interesting possibilites. I kind of like the idea of this: http://www.handgonnes.com/id159.html, a combo halberd/handgonne. I also like your concept of a bit more contemporary looking combo. Good stuff. Happy

Or the path not taken of weapon systems: Something like this

Attachment: 74.7 KB
[ Download ]

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Nice! Another custom project for A&A, perchance? Eek! Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 11 Apr, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:

Nice! Another custom project for A&A, perchance? Eek! Happy

Don't tempt me I hadn't even thought about that. Eek! Just an theoretical drawing I made after discussing 18th century musketry with Gordon Fry a while back.

The idea was that since 19th century tactics gave little or no importance to aimed fire why not just improve on the old handgonne concept and not bother with standard rifle / hackbut / musket stock.

Although I was doing this concept with the 15th early 16th century more in mind and stayed with matchlock or hand held match. For 18th century use a flintlock action would make more sense.

The idea in the 15th century was to have an alternate solution to the Pike that the bayonet was in the late 17th century.

The idea was to increase the number of shot while still retaining the advantages of the long pike: Some longer " real " pikes might still be used but a formation might only have 20% pikes and the rest with the handgonne / pike combination.

The pike would insert into the handgonne muzzle as a bayonet and be used as a musket rest when firing the handgonne.

The other optional accessories could be a shortsword plug bayonet or an outside mounted axe / bayonet.

Some of these in the baggage train and issued according to the tactical situation: Pikes on flat terrain and against cavalry and the axe bayonet where closer melee fighting would be expected.

Oh, the pike bayonet could be used alone if a shorter weapon was preferable and might even be thrown like a pilum and the handgonne used as a mace ? Multiple tactical uses.

Hackbut / rifle style furniture i.e. conventional musket / rifles would be used only for aimed marksman fire and not general unaimed volley fire.

Anyway this is the longwinded explanation of the concept drawing. Just me having fun inventing weapon systems.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Wed 19 Apr, 2006 2:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not exactly a sword drawing, but;

Attachment: 74.54 KB
DSC02433.jpg
Gjest (Royal skirmisher/enforcer), Late 12th, early 13th cent.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Sword drawings
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: