Light Sparring gloves?
http://www.revivalclothing.com/catpages/cat_paddedgloves.htm

anyone seen or heard anything about these? why black or red? cant anyone have a natural color?

worth the 40 bucks?
They're a little heavier duty than typical padded fencing gloves, but not much more. They're good for things such as shinai, or for drilling with heavier weapons that might accidently bump your hands harder than you'd like. They're not good for full speed bouting with anything much heavier than a shinai, though.

They're excellent for rapier, as I get the occassional cut to the back of the hand in which case the padding is nice, but at the same time they're light and flexible enough not to impede the movement of the fingers.
Re: Light Sparring gloves?
Chuck Russell wrote:
worth the 40 bucks?

Oh, forgot to say: Yes, assuming you're aware of the limitations listed above. Considering a typical padded saber glove is $20 for just the one hand.
They won't help much if you get smacked by a wooden waster either. I think I tossed mine after the first day at practice.
ah ok hehehe if ther eno good with wood then steel would be right out? heheheh
Chuck Russell wrote:
ah ok hehehe if ther eno good with wood then steel would be right out? heheheh

Oh, yeah, out of the question for steel. You need at least lacrosse gloves, if not steel gauntlets.
Well padded mitens will do; We use mittens with 3-4 layers of woolen carpet as padding...
alternately, you can use hardened leather, stitched to gloves, with one or two layers of carpet underneath.
You can also make a miten shaped padding, and stitch it to a regular glove.
Re: Light Sparring gloves?
Chuck Russell wrote:
http://www.revivalclothing.com/catpages/cat_paddedgloves.htm

anyone seen or heard anything about these? why black or red? cant anyone have a natural color?

worth the 40 bucks?

My group has been using them for a while. We find they are very good for controlled sparring with wasters and blunts. The dexterity is decent although there is a break in period. I'm waiting for their armoured gauntlets next :D
I've been wondering about these gloves for a while, too.

What about for full-force, full-contact sparring with padded weapons (such as those used by ARMA)? Would you judge these gloves to be sufficient, or lacking?
Eric Allen wrote:
I've been wondering about these gloves for a while, too.

What about for full-force, full-contact sparring with padded weapons (such as those used by ARMA)? Would you judge these gloves to be sufficient, or lacking?

Basically anything like that is fine. Even controlled bouting with heavier weapons, as Gary mentioned, where it will protect against incidental contact, is fine. But they won't protect against a hard direct hit with a wooden waster, aluminum or steel blunts, or anything along those lines. Hence the name "light" sparring gloves.
We've had good experiences with these for our aluminum longswords. They work great for light, incidental hits, and after we've been playing for a few months we tend to expose our hands a lot less. :)
Alex B. wrote:
We've had good experiences with these for our aluminum longswords. They work great for light, incidental hits, and after we've been playing for a few months we tend to expose our hands a lot less. :)

Really? That surprises me. Mine, as stated above, are not much more protective than saber gloves. I've been wondering if perhaps the current versions are a little thicker? I bought mine right when they were available.

Even with heavier gloves, though, I would hesitate to really strike someone with any degree of intent on the hands using aluminum. In fact, I would intentionally avoid attacking the hands: they're just too fragile.
Hands are fragile. My group has been inactive for two months. The instructor broke two knuckles performing a rehearsed drill with wasters when a very respected and internationally well known counterpart that did not perform their part as expected.

Another point on the gloves I recieved, they were ordered and recieved marked as "Large". They were in fact too tight for all adults, women and male alike. This could have been a fluke, but I would be prepared to order extra large and return them if they turned out too loose rather than repeat the mistake of ordering the large size for a very average adult hand.
When it comes to sparring gloves, the DIY ones are often better than the commercially avialiable ones. Especially as you can tailor them to your individual needs.
Our gloves are mostly linen over layered wool, with a leather inside, similar to Kendo kote. They can be made solid enough to allow steel sparring, with hand hits.
If you are looking for gloves fit for harder sparring, lacrosse gloves are a pretty good choice.

No "appropriate" look at all, but very good protection and far less movement restriction than plate gauntlets.
ProLax has some pretty good ones. Just give it a try.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: