Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gaddhjalt Arrives! Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Gaddhjalt Arrives!         Reply with quote

Well, my Gaddhjalt arrived at my house yesterday afternoon, but I was at school so I couldn't get home to see it until this afternoon. That was probably one of the longest 24 hours stretches of my life. Really makes me appreciate someone like Greyson, who had a whole bunch of Albions that he had never seen. Thanks for your service, Greyson (and everybody else). Anyway, when I finally got home and opened the box...wow...this thing is nice. Grip was redder then I thought it would be,(it is magenta, but to me looks like red) and it really looks great. Kind of looks like the grip on Aaron Schnatterly's Regent, red with black on the riser, I think. When I picked it up I just couldn't believe how light it felt, so comfortable in the hand. The only other "sword" I've handled is my Windlass viking, which I thought felt decent until picking up my Gaddhjalt. The windlass is quite a bit shorter, but feels about 2 lbs heavier! If the Gaddhjalt is a "cleaver" I can't even imagine what a really nimble sword like a knight or laird feels like.

This is certainly a cool feeling. I took it out side and played with it a little bit, but didn't do any cutting. Felt awesome swinging it around. I was a little afraid that the brazil nut pommel would dig into my hands, but it doesn't bother at all. I don't even consider hammer vs. handshake, this thing swings itself. I was afraid after reading all the great reviews about Albion swords that I was going to be expecting too much (even though I really knew this wasn't the case) but no way was I. I don't think any amount of reading can prepare you for that first "real" sword.

I've taken pictures, but they are too big to post, and I haven't figured out how to resize yet. Hopefully I can figure that out.

Ok, thanks for reading!

Kenton
Gary Grzybek

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congradulations!

Got to play with the Gaddhjalt at my Round Table last year. I found it to be very sweet in handling yet very powerful in a commited cut. A devastating and serious weapon Big Grin

Gary Grzybek
ARMA Northern N.J.
www.armastudy.org
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Can't seem to put it down. I just tryed using it as a "hand and a quarter" with a finger looped over the guard and my off hand palming the pommel. While this would certainly not be more effective then sword and shield, I've gotta say it is really comfortable, and make the sword that much quicker. Pretty interesting.

Kenton
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Finally solved my computer ineptitude...

Attachment: 72.46 KB
handle1.jpg

Attachment: 37.39 KB
sidehandle.jpg

Attachment: 38.27 KB
pommelview.jpg

Attachment: 15.27 KB
above.jpg

Attachment: 40.25 KB
niceshot.jpg

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gaddhjalt Arrives!         Reply with quote

Quote:
The only other "sword" I've handled is my Windlass viking, which I thought felt decent until picking up my Gaddhjalt. The windlass is quite a bit shorter, but feels about 2 lbs heavier! If the Gaddhjalt is a "cleaver" I can't even imagine what a really nimble sword like a knight or laird feels like.

Having a Gaddhjalt myself, also my first Albion, I find it reasonably nimble but I was really surprised when I got a Sovereign: Now that one is very nimble and recovery / changing direction of a swing in mid stroke is very quick while still having good blade presence. With the Gaddhjalt once committed to a strike it's best to time it well or have a shield and not depend on the sword for defence.

Oh, I agree with the hand and a quarter grip being an option that has some good possibilities.

http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...mp;start=0

You may find the above topic thread interesting as I started it with the view that one handed swords may have been used with both hands at times.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject: Hi         Reply with quote

Hi Kenton
Nice pictures! Whenever anyone puts up pictures of swords they've just bought the swords always look better than they do on Albion's site. I'm wondering if it is just my psychological weakness, with things appearing more desirable when someone else owns them. Then again, maybe all of the contributors are very good photographers. Dunno. Interesting to see magenta. I've ordered that on one. Very red! Anyway, thanks for the pics..
Geoff
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 12:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,

That looks really nice. I had considered the magenta grip for one of mine (no one in particular, just any one of them), I still think the colors that I chose fit my ideas of the respective swords, but I may now be forced to consider getting a megenta grip (which means I may have to purchase a sword for the sole pupose of getting that grip... do you see how this so called "interest" balloons into a full-fledged addiction?)

As far as not seeing your swords for a while goes, your right, that can be painful. I still haven't seen my Agincourt, and I won't see my Sherriff when it comes. I also own a property that I have only spent one night in (the mortgage for which is one of the limiting factors on me buying more swords). It stinks, but I affforded the above mentioned investments (though I'll not likely sell them, I do consider my swords investments), because I was deployed for a year, so I guess you take the good with the bad.

Anyway, back to your sword (indirectly). I wrapped the grip on my waster with a single center riser, which was inspired by the Gaddhjalt. I have found that it is very confortable to grip my waster so that the base of one finger (usually the middle one) is over that center riser, but the tip of the finger is below it. It kind of guides me into the handshake grip. Do you experience that same sort of thing with your sword?

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Anyway, back to your sword (indirectly). I wrapped the grip on my waster with a single center riser, which was inspired by the Gaddhjalt. I have found that it is very comfortable to grip my waster so that the base of one finger (usually the middle one) is over that center riser, but the tip of the finger is below it. It kind of guides me into the handshake grip. Do you experience that same sort of thing with your sword?"

Hmm...good question, let me go play with it a little bit Big Grin ...ok, I'm back. Yeah, I have found that I tend to grip it with my middle finger on top of the central riser. That is the grip that feels most natural. I would call it a loose hammer grip, or maybe a faint handshake grip. It is kind of a mix, not over doing either style. Feels very natural, and the pommel slides by without issue. I understand what you mean about the finger over the riser, but the tip of the finger being below it, but this isn't really how I hold it. On my Windlass Viking sword I use a more pronounced handshake grip because of the shorter grip and the pommel which can really dig into my wrist, and what you are describing (although the risers are different) is basically how I hold it. With the Gaddhjalt, I think the longer grip makes using such a pronounce handshake grip unnecessary . That's my take at least, I am definitely an amateur. Again, let me say thanks to everyone who is giving up time with their swords, homes and families to serve the country. It does not go unappreciated. I'm considering O.C.S. after graduating college, but it might be tough to leave my sword(s) Wink

Jean,

I know what you mean about the quickness issue. It is just that going from my Windlass to my Gaddhjalt, I can't imagine anything quicker. My next sword will either be a quick two hander or a quick single hander. Should then be able to put the Gaddhjalt in some perspective, but for now...I can' t Happy

The grip color in those pictures is fairly true to life, but it obviously looks better in person. I would recommend this color, I'm very pleased with how it came out.

Thanks Guys,

Kenton
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton;

Yes, I understand what you mean and I understood it before my first reply: When your only comparison is with a totally unbalanced sword any well balanced one will be a big surprise Big Grin .

Another surprise is that when comparing numerous well balanced but differently balanced swords: They all feel different Exclamation

I was as surprised with the difference between the Gaddhjalt and the Sovereign as you were with the Gaddhjalt versus the Windlass ( Although their more recent production for MRL seem much closer to accurate handling from what I have read in reviews. )

The difference though is that I was comparing different but good handling swords as opposed to a good versus a bad handling sword.

My new Tritonia is closer to the Gaddhjalt in handling than to the Sovereign but in spite of being heavier than the Gaddhjalt handles with noticeably less blade presence: Recovery would be slightly faster.

My A & A Black Prince feels light a a feather in spite of weighing as much as the Tritonia and this with one hand. With two hands it' s super fast.

My A & A 15th century Twohander is almost usable with one hand and has more blade presence with one hand than the Gaddhjalt. With two hands this twohander is fast for it's huge size.

If one could handle in turn all the Albion Swords one would find that swords that look almost the same can feel surprisingly different and the range of handling is very wide depending on intended use: Mostly cutting, mostly thrusting or a balance between the two as well if the swords were intended to be used with mostly a shield for defence or swords expected to be good for both offensive and defensive moves.

Those who are very familiar with numerous swords might say that one is comparing apples and oranges when comparing two specific swords that are intended for different uses / techniques and they may be right, but this is because those with a lot of experience will be very sensitive to subtle ( To a novice ) differences in handling and will not perceive these differences as subtle but as rather large and obvious differences to them.

The more swords handled the better as one can then say this one is more or less " something " than another or between this one or that one in handling / recovery etc ..... Oh, and disagree with someone else's perceptions: Stronger or weaker, taller or shorter, experiences or inexperienced, as well as personal preferences, your mileage will vary. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

(Disclaimer: My personal experience is as a casual handler and not a dedicated practitioner of sword handling, I don't want my opinion to be taken for more than it is. )

Matthew G.M. Korenkiewicz

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congrats ! Kenton. I own a Gaddjhalt as you know, and it is one of my
favorites. The long broad blade and spike hilt make for quite a package.
Now you gotta find someone to make you a scabbard !!! B-)
Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm toying with the idea of making a scabbard. I've never done any projects that would be much like scabbard making, so I'm thinking of practicing by making a couple wooden cores for my cheap swords before trying for my nice one. If I decide to buy one I would probably go to Russ Ellis. I like his work, and I like the attitude I've seen from him. Seems like he would do all he could to get a nice, historical piece, and the price would be good for what I would be getting. A few hundred dollars for a scabbard with integral suspension seems very reasonable. On the other hand though, as Jean points out...there are an awful lot of Albions out their that need handling. I might be able to make a scabbard, I know I can't make a Next Gen.

Kenton
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton Spaulding wrote:
as Jean points out...there are an awful lot of Albions out their that need handling. I might be able to make a scabbard, I know I can't make a Next Gen.

I like your reasoning. In fact, it mirrors my own thoughts. Now what I have to figure out is, can I make a viable scabbard from measurements with the sword itself half-way around the globe? Confused

-Grey

Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe the creation of Albion Europe (if you are in Germany as your location is listed) could be beneficial to you? Day trip, anyone? Idea

Kenton
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton,

Does beneficial to me mean that I end up with more swords, or that there are actually positive numbers in my bank account? Eek! I'm not sure myself Big Grin Of course, I don't have that long left here in Europe, and Kansas isn't too badly situated for visiting Colorado (my swords) or Wisconsin (what I like to think of as "future my-swords").

If you do end up making a scabbard, don't forget the absolute most important step of the entire proccess... sharing the pictures with us!!

-Grey

Kenton Spaulding

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

I've come up with a specialized scenario when using a sword like the Gaddhjalt two handed my have been beneficial. Seeing that both Vikings and Anglo-Saxons fought utilizing shield walls, perhaps this is where this grip could shine. Be advised, I am purely speculating, there is no historical evidence that I know of that points to this.

This grip could possibly have been used by a shieldless warrior standing in the second row of the shield wall. Using the wall for protection, he might potentially be able to time powerful two handed, over head blows on exposed warriors attacking the shield wall. Coming from over head in this manner he may have been able to get his blade over the opposing warriors shield and get a shot at their heads. Not having to worry so much about defense might make this scenario possible. No way to ever know for sure, but what do you guys think?

Kenton
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! That color red looks amazing on that sword. Congrats on a fine piece.
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 12 Feb, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kenton;

Interesting speculation. Big Grin Might have the shield slung over the back leaving both hands free rather than not having a shield to use later in the fight maybe: Small detail that doesn't contradict your speculation.

Also for extra power blows or faster recovery? If the shield was lost or too damaged to use? If exhausted during an extended battle? If wearing a sword in a more civilian context and not carrying a shield ? A duel without shields or after shields have been abandoned?

Obviously at some point someone decided to make the handles longer on warswords or great swords but occasional twohanded use of one handed swords might have given them the idea. Also with these great swords one handed use continued at least part of the time when using a shield and / or on horseback.

As two handed use became at least a 50% of the time thing and that the shield could not be used for defence, the use of the sword for defence as well as offence would have started to be developed out of need ???

If I understand what I have read on this site properly: With sword and shield defence is almost all done with the shield.

With sword and buckler the sword is also used for defence and the buckler for offence: So techniques using the sword for defence would have evolved at about the same time from twohanded use and sword and buckler use. Some of this might translate to defensive techniques applicable to one-handed swords when shieldless for some reason.

Anyway, those better qualified to judge can go ahead confirming my speculations or disputing them: Just speculations after all. Laughing Out Loud

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Gaddhjalt Arrives!
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic