Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 11th-12th C maille Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: 11th-12th C maille         Reply with quote

I am looking to make an accurate piece of maille based on something from the late 11th to early 12th century. I have a couple questions for anyone out there that could help. I want to keep as historically accurate as possible. First question would be wire dia. I've heard anywhere from 18ga to 16ga for accurate riveted maille. Is 16ga still too thick or would it accurately represent this period? I have found a couple of places that make an "accurate" recreation using wedge rivets and flattened rings. Is this a good model to follow? If anyone has up close pictures of a period piece that to give me a reference, it would be greatly appreciated. Last is a question of form. From period art it looks like most shirts had long sleeves, hung down around mid thigh, integral coif and mittens, and separate chausses. Any period patters that depart from this? Again, any pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Aaron
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

u cover a big change in the mail history.

11thc shirts are seen elbow length and split from crotch to mid thigh. also having a ventail and attached coif or no coif at all

12thc shirts have longer tappered sleeves longer to teh knee as as well. same coif style for teh most part

13thc shirts are long all over, mittens are attached. some coifs are detached and have mantles on them

i would go with 18 guage. wire dia at 8mm inside. wedge or round rivet its up to u

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 11th-12th C maille
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic