Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thinking about getting my first sword... need some advice Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Harold R.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Thinking about getting my first sword... need some advice         Reply with quote

Although I have been hanging around here for a few weeks and I have been wishfully drooling over the idea of buying a sword for years now, I haven't really actually been planning to buy one until now. I would like to get into viking reenacting but I know that I have a whole lot of learning and research to do before I get anywhere near that. For now though I would like to get my hands on a sword that would work for that time period. The rest of the costume can wait.
I am thinking that I will most likely end up with at least two eventually - one "safe" sword that isn't sharpened for practice and reenacting and one SHARP one just to have around. Both will need to be durable enough to stand up to some use and the one for reenacting may need to take straight up abuse. It needs to be solid enough to trust but cheap enough that if I do destroy it I can replace it without too much pain.
To start with...
What about Paul Binns swords? Could I reasonably expect one of his swords to stand up to the beating that my practice / training / reenacting sword would see? The criteria for this one will be that from a distance it has at least a similar profile to a "real" sword, that it be tough, that it handle somewhat like a sharpened sword of this style, and that I just about have to intentionally smack myself with it to get hurt with it. I am a complete amateur with a sword. I am OK in a fistfight, tolerable with a handgun, and pretty good with a rifle but swordsmanship is an art that my dad didn't have to pass on to his sons. I want to get this one soon so I can get started teaching myself until I can get associated with a group to learn from.
The second one will need to be a functional sword that I would mostly just own and handle but that I could actually use in real combat should the need ever arise. I am thinking that the Albion Squire Viking may be a decent starter for this. It may end up getting traded or sold to go toward another sword later on so there isn't a huge need for me to buy the most expensive, highly finished sword I can find just yet. WIll the Squire viking sword work for this?
Thank you.
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 09 Feb, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinking about getting my first sword... need some advic         Reply with quote

Harold R. wrote:
Although I have been hanging around here for a few weeks and I have been wishfully drooling over the idea of buying a sword for years now, I haven't really actually been planning to buy one until now. I would like to get into viking reenacting but I know that I have a whole lot of learning and research to do before I get anywhere near that. For now though I would like to get my hands on a sword that would work for that time period. The rest of the costume can wait.
I am thinking that I will most likely end up with at least two eventually - one "safe" sword that isn't sharpened for practice and reenacting and one SHARP one just to have around. Both will need to be durable enough to stand up to some use and the one for reenacting may need to take straight up abuse. It needs to be solid enough to trust but cheap enough that if I do destroy it I can replace it without too much pain.

Hello Harold,

Welcome to the forums!

As for your first sword, I have heard a lot of praise for Paul Binn's swords for re-enactment blunts. On paper, they look heavy, but I haven't actually wielded one, so I can't reall comment too much on them.

Another maker you may want to take a look at is Armour Class, based in Scotland (www.armourclass.co.uk), who makes both blunt and sharp versions of virtually every model they have.

As for the sharp, you may want to take a look at the Shifford Viking Sword at Arms & Armor (www.arms-n-armor.com), or the Albion Mark line of swords (www.albion-swords.com). The Clontarf, Gotland, and Vinland models are nearing their edition limit, so they may be set to become collector's items pretty soon...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a side note there is currently a Paul Binns blunt and seax blunt in the classifieds.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
As a side note there is currently a Paul Binns blunt and seax blunt in the classifieds.

As a side note to your side note, Harold has already inquired to the seller about it. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Thinking about getting my first sword... need some advic         Reply with quote

Hi Harold,
The Albion squire Viking you mentioned should be just fine for this. I haven't handled that model in particular, but have handled the other squire line swords, so I think you'll be quite happy with that one for a sword that's under $400. Keep in mind that it comes unsharpened (unless if you request it to be sharp).

As for the training blunt, you said it should be able to hold up to reenactment for when you get started. Here's my advice: Wait until you get started, and they'll tell you what kind you need. Different groups have different requirements: minimum blade thickness, different levels of acceptable authenticity, etc. You may get a blade that is perfect for one group, but not enough for another. Now, if you just want an unsharpened practice sword so that you won't cut yourself when swinging it around without a partner, the Albion squire line Viking will be quite fine for this.

Hope this helps!

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would also reccomend getting a waster for practicing.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:

As a side note to your side note, Harold has already inquired to the seller about it. Happy

As a side note to your side note to my sidenote... oops. Happy

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Harold R.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the leads. I will keep checking back but I am going to be away for a few days. Keep 'em coming.
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to echo what others have said. People seem to be very happy with their Binn's swords for re-enacting. It is always good to have an idea of what others in a group are using when picking your sword as well. Some swords will stand up very well with use when paired up against other similar swords, but when pitted against others they don't do as well. So it is always good to avoid getting something that might not hold up to use of others swords, or be something that might cause undo wear on fellow group members swords.

I did check Paul's website out just the other day and it looked as if he had a tri lobed sword available for sale right now.

Shane
Ryan Moody

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Harold, I'm a new sword collector myself (In fact, this is my first post on this forum at all), and I've just recieved my Albion Squire Line Viking sword a few days ago. It's amazing. Truly beautiful, and a bargain as far as I'm concerned at a grand total of $450 Canadian(Including shipping and taxes for shipping). I've swung it around a bit, and believe me, it's a true joy. I personally can't wait to gather up enough money to expand my collection and get together the materials I need for a scabbard and a shield, etc. This forum's a great place for new collectors, too, lots of info.

Definitely go with the Albion Squire Line for your first sword. I know I made the right decision. Cool
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I feel obligated to reiterate the warning that you have no doubt seen else where. There is one feature of the Albion swords that people tend to overlook... at first. Namely, the Addiction! Your first sword will most definately not be your last. I don't think that is a bad thing; just don't say we didn't warn you. Big Grin

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Kenton Spaulding

Reading list: 12 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Feb, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got to chime in and agree with Greyson. I only recieved my first Albion yesterday, and all ready I'm scheming up ways to save money for that next (Laird) and next (Crecy) and next (Baron) and next (Sheriff)...get the pic Eek!

That said, they are definitely worth the price IMO, if you can swing it, I would definitely recommend an Albion.

Enjoy

Kenton

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Thinking about getting my first sword... need some advice
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic