Saber just finished
My stolen shop gnomes have been hard at work forging this in my basement for me, well maybe it is a chinese made blade. It can be hard to tell sometimes....

I finished mounting this blade back in the middle of December, but had probably the most minor of problems that needed to be fixed. A brass cut-out over the end of the pommel raised a couple millimeters on the points when peened creating snag points. I tried about everything to fix it, but in the end had to break it back down. Ended up changing the guard, shortening the handle a bit, and made a few changes in finish. Overall I feel it was for the best though, I am much happier in the way it looks then it did before.

The blade is a folded Cicada Forge willow leaf saber blade, blackened mild steel fittings, and a dyed hard maple grip. Blade length is 28" and overall it comes in at 33".

[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]
[ Linked Image ]

More pictures and info can be found here:
http://www.ironagearmoury.com/available_pieces.htm

I need to update other parts of the site with changes as well. Currently I'm working on the spatha, but I ended up going for a later period hilt design with it. My Petersen type H is close to becoming a type K. Mark has started work on the first of the Double fullered series and a La Tene I blade will follow that one. Nothing positive on the La Tene I, but it may be another type of riveted hilt after all.

Shane
The contemporary form of the saber is not my "cup of tea", but very, very pretty. That blade looks like it would cut with a vengeance!
Wow! :D Jack Sparrow beware. :)

My compliments on a very fine sword.

Alex
Shane,

Great work! I love the work on the guard and handle in particular. I say that, but actually the whole piece is just very cool!!! Job well done!

Best,

Matt
Thanks guys

Shane

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: