Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Disproportionate Interest In European Weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:

When talking about Western arms and armor, the attention seems to be focused on the swords. Swords of every size, shape, and description. Roman swords, Viking swords, longswords, rapiers. Swords everywhere. Occasionally armor, but mostly swords.
Precious little attention seems to be given to the other weapons common in Europe at the time--axes, spears, maces, polearms, hammers, shields, etc. Sure, they pop up every now and then, but they seem to be "left out of the loop" so to speak by "sword-mania." Both by reviewers, enthusiasts, and even reproduction manufacturers. Admittedly, they're not completely left out, but they just don't seem to garner as much attention.
just my $0.02 to throw out there.

We've already published an articles on shields, daggers, helms, and firearms. We've had plenty of lively discussions about non-sword items, too. So that info is here in bits and pieces. I think much available research seems to be biased towards bladed weapons and armour, which leads to people's and maker's interests narrowing a bit.

We will be expandng even more into reviews and articles on non-sword items in coming months. Stay tuned... Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 11:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Allen wrote:
There's more bias than just being Eurocentric (and I do not mean just at this site either)...

When talking about Western arms and armor, the attention seems to be focused on the swords. Swords of every size, shape, and description. Roman swords, Viking swords, longswords, rapiers. Swords everywhere. Occasionally armor, but mostly swords.
Precious little attention seems to be given to the other weapons common in Europe at the time--axes, spears, maces, polearms, hammers, shields, etc. Sure, they pop up every now and then, but they seem to be "left out of the loop" so to speak by "sword-mania." Both by reviewers, enthusiasts, and even reproduction manufacturers. Admittedly, they're not completely left out, but they just don't seem to garner as much attention.
just my $0.02 to throw out there.

We've talked a pretty good bit about polearms from time to time here. Let's face it though, swords are why many internet fora are in place. Swords hold a special place for most of us I would expect.

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Gabriel Lebec
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 32 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
You can say a lot of nice things about the katana, but in the end they, well, all look the same...

Much the same way that all violins look (and sound) the same, or all red wine seems the same, or all western hand-and-a-half swords look the same... which is to say that they don't at all, when you get past the surface.

The form of the weapon might have some generalities (to each of which there are numerous exceptions), but the details are infinitely varied and the character of a given weapon will differ markedly from another. The large number of mounting styles, the different kinds of blade cross-sections and shapes and grain patterns and hamon, the variety of metalwork that goes into the fittings, all make the subject of Japanese arms as rich as you could hope for any to be. If you are making a comparison between Japanese swords and other swords by saying nihonto all look the same, I'd venture that you either have not seen enough katana, or are unfairly comparing one Japanese weapon type (out of many) to many other weapon types.

I expect to illustrate these points more thoroughly at a later date - that's all I'll say for the time being. Happy
Cheers,

GLL
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Tactics, battles, strategy .......... Well just about all of human history is at least distantly related to weapons and warfare: The history of the World is the history of war.

Excellent point Big Grin There is something to be said for specialization.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did not mean to imply that this site has a lack of materiel on stuff other than swords, or that discussions of other weapons never happen. I've followed plenty such discussions since I've starten lurking here. This site is, if anything, more well-rounded than some others (the ARMA website comes to mind. Very informative site and forum, but it tends to be rather sword-centric, though i think that's more by choice).

But still, looking through the features and reviews on this site, you have to admit the majority is about swords.

Even in the reproduction market, manufacturers and especially us customers (for the most part) try and go for really well-made high-quality swords that look, feel, and behave as the originals did. We have an idea of what qualities make a good sword, and we have a lot to choose from, even among a particular type (Albion alone has no fewer than 10 Viking/Anglo-saxon designs in their NG lineup). However, reproductions are more scarce for some other weapons. There are reproduction maces out there, for example, but far fewer "brandnames" to choose from. Furthermore, with all that has been said and written about what makes a good reproduction sword, I've seen little about what makes a good reproduction spear or mace or warhammer--what type of metals and woods to look for, what types to aviod, historically-accurate weights, sizes, lengths, etc. Certainly this information exists, but it can be hard to find. In a way, this is understandable as these weapons are by their nature less "refined" than a sword, but certainly there must be more to making a historically accurate mace than just sticking a metal ball on the end of a wooden haft, no? As chad said earlier in response to my previous post, "I think much available research seems to be biased towards bladed weapons and armour, which leads to people's and maker's interests narrowing a bit." That pretty much captures my sentiment as well.

Is any of this necessairly a bad thing? No, I don't think so. Personally, I much prefer the aesthetics of a sword to the crudeness of an axe or mace (though I would like to get myself a spear sometime in the future). There's a particular mystique about the sword that captures our imaginations,whether Eastern or Western.

I could go on about how some periods and cultures within the "European Middle Ages" umbrella seem to be more popular and thus get more attention than others, but that would be drifting a bit off topic, and is ultimately a useless discussion.
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well to be honest most of the users of this forum are North American and Western European, so it only makes sense that they would be interested in their own history. Also collecting replica weapons and armour and/or reenactment is an expensive business, so reenactment would only be a hobby in countries whose population has a high proportion of people with incomes high enough to afford it, i.e. North America and Western Europe.

I think language is also important, many of the members of this forum are English speakers, while there may be Ottoman or Persian or Indian reenactment groups out there, they probably don't speak English. I'm pretty certain that there are Japanese reenactment groups, but they probably have their own Japanese language forums.

Finally as many of you know I do have a strong interest in Indian, Islamic and Eastern European arms and armour (please see my "avatar" Big Grin), and I have been an active participant in any threads about these subjects. Happy

I've also volunteered to write a feature on Mamluk and Ottoman armour as well as an introduction to Medieval Middle-Eastern warfare, unfortunately due to pressures at work i've not had the time to do so yet.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just wanted to emphasize what Chad said in his last post. Without specifically addressing anybody's wish list, I'll just say that y'all are in for some very exciting content in coming months.

HOWEVER, the best way to ensure that your interests are covered in our formal content (as opposed to the fora) is to write something for the site. Pitch your idea! If you think you can't write, read this new article, Writing About Arms and Armour:

http://www.myArmoury.com/contribute/intro_writing.php

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
I just wanted to emphasize what Chad said in his last post. Without specifically addressing anybody's wish list, I'll just say that y'all are in for some very exciting content in coming months.

One of the hardest parts of being a team member, for me, is biting my tongue and not giving away all the cool stuff that's on tap (and there's a lot of it). Happy Rest assured, more diversity is on its way. I think diversifying our bank of reviews and articles will help draw new people to the forums, which may create new authors for articles. These things tend to feed themselves.

I wholeheartedly agree with Sean's post. Please consider researching and writing for this site. It's simple math: the number of people writing articles and reviews is much, much, much smaller than the number of people reading them. This site is not quite three years old, but has published 82 articles, 132 reviews, and 173 collection pages, from only 43 volunteer authors, most of us readers like most of you.

We currently have a few months worth of content waiting to be published. This gives us time to develop concepts with new authors and shepherd them through the process. Many new authors have stepped forward and I'd like to thank them all for doing so. We could use even more, though, to maintain our ambitious publication schedule ([bragging]find me any other hobby website that publishes quality content every 2 weeksHappy[/bragging]) and diversify our offerings.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad;

Without naming any sites in particular, a lot of sites can be visited only once every few months and hardly any new content will be found and even in the Forums the frequency of new posts will be counted on the fingers of one hand.

At times the most recent topic subjects stay at the top of the queues for months on end.

If I wait too long in a single day to visit this site the list of new posts or even new topics will mean a lot of scrolling down the page.

Generally new subjects discussed in depth will attract more discussion and more input: A bit like snowballs down a hill that all start small and grow as they progress down hill.

The European sword related snowballs have had a head start down the hill and wont be getting any smaller, but some of the other interesting topic are going to get a chance to grow. Cool Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 08 Feb, 2006 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 08 Feb, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm extremely interested in bringing more to the base of content for this site, but I haven't had the resources to do so. As already mentioned by others in this topic, the group of authors that I've worked with in the years the site has been around have been focused on the European side of things and has primarily been from the Viking through late Renaissance-eras. I've tried to find interested parties to help augment our base of content, but it has not been an easy task for us. We've got some things in the works currently, but certainly could use some help to make this site grow. Chad pointed to the link were I called for help, and I certainly would like to emphasize that this is an ongoing need for the site. We really do rely on outside contributors to keep myArmoury.com afloat and growing.

From a completely personal point of view, I'd find it compelling to have this site's featured articles broaden scope into other cultures and time periods. This is particularly interesting because of this site's "overview" focus. While I, personally, have a general interest in these various topics, my main interest is really limited to 1200-1620 European arms and armor, with specific focused areas along the way.

I would benefit greatly from being exposed to other areas of interest in the way that this site does it. This would allow me to broaden my knowledge in the "enthusiast" manner without being too detailed or intense. myArmoury.com is the perfect venue for this sort of thing and I hope that I can do the things to make it happen. I'll try, anyway.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Fri 10 Feb, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Edward Hitchens wrote:
I have no doubt that a Japanese katana (and its like) has just as much myth surrounding it as "our" European longsword (i.e. being light as a feather, yet able to cut a Chevrolet in half WTF?! ).

A tank, you mean. The katana can cut a tank in half.

For the Chevrolet, you need a nagamaki.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Disproportionate Interest In European Weapons
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: