Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spanish bull fighter's sword? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Spanish bull fighter's sword?         Reply with quote

Greetings from Rota, Spain! This is my first stop on my way to Bahrain. This being Spain, there are a lot of swords in every shop window, designed to net the unwary tourist with the promise of “Spanish steel”. Almost without exception, they are ornate, gold plated 420 or 440 stainless steel wall hangers, which is certainly not what I’m in the market for. There was one sword that caught my eye, though. It has a blade very similar to a rapier, although much thicker and heavier than a rapier should be, and has a slight bend a few inches from the point, which I’m told was the result of a deliberate act. The hilt looks like slender steel rods, bent into a simple shape including quillons, a knuckle guard and not much else. This has all been tightly wrapped in cloth for a very plain appearance, which was why the sword caught my eye amid so much garishness in the first place. I’m told that it is a bull fighter's sword, made for the actual act, rather than mere decoration. The blade seems solid, and is very heavy, but it’s definitely stainless steel, which makes me think that it is probably yet another wall hanger. I know very little about bull fighting and was wondering if someone with more knowledge on the subject could confirm the authenticity of what the shopkeeper is telling me. I’m not really considering buying it, but I am curious to know if it's the real thing. Thanks.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Feb, 2006 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword you describe is really similar to one that I saw in the past, and which I always considered as being a bullfighter's sword indeed. I did notice as well the bend at the tip, and the simple hilt (which if I remember correctly was also smaller than what I'd like to have on a combat sword...). From what I've been able to see on TV, this sword could very well be authentic.
Regarding the steel, I think that given that such a sword would be used for something like three thrusts in a bull fight (no parrying, no edge cuts, just clean thrusts, and that is assuming that the bullfighter misses twice...), maybe properties such as edge retention, temper, etc. are not as important as they are for a combat sword. This is really a specialized weapon, far more so than the rapier in my opinion, so maybe they can cope with stainless steel.

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks. Happy I also noted the small hilt. Strange. I guess it works for them. WTF?!

And dude, I just have to point out that you totally won the last name lottery. Wink

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Vincent Le Chevalier

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sam Barris wrote:
And dude, I just have to point out that you totally won the last name lottery. Wink

Hey, you know I've been worried about it not being accepted on the forums here because people might think it's a joke Big Grin

--
Vincent
Ensis Sub Caelo
Einar Drønnesund

PostPosted: Thu 02 Feb, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bullfighters swords do have a bend somewhere near the tip. I've noticed that when seeing clips of bullfights on TV. I have never witnessed the actual kill though. Not exactly my cup'o tea, one might say.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Spanish bull fighter's sword?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic