Carrying armour.
Does anyone have any good tips on how to carry armour? I dont mean ON you, but rather on your way to the "battlefield". I find that just stuffing a big bag feels wrong, and i was wondering if there are any smart and historic ways of transporting it, when you dont have a page around..
Good question! Though by no means a cart or a pack mule is absolutely necesary to cary all the iron of full armour. Still some specifics would be nice.
And I also would like to ask about donning and doffing the armour. I'm not talking about full plate armour as it's absolutely clear theres no way to put 'em on without a help from a side. Still what about simple mercenary stuff? Chainmails are easy to use. You can get in easily and get out ... in time. But then again if You're using a breastplate along with chainmail shirt?
As far as I can figure it out there's absolutely necesary to have a hepling hand to fix all the belts in place. :eek:

Last edited by Elonas Kvietkus on Mon 30 Jan, 2006 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
I once read somewhere (sorry, can't remember the source) that the Japanese Samurai used to put their armour in a wooden box if they had to carry it a long way. Maybe it was done in a similar way in Europe.

Quote:
I'm not talking about full plate armour as it's absolutely clear theres no way to put 'em on without a help from a side

You can put plate armour on without help. I saw a tutorial for that on the net, it can be done.
i know macpherson made bob from labelle company a leather carring case that was linen and padded. it was super sweet leather work.

u can see in paintings of armour being stored in cubbards and in armwars etc. but i'm betting if you had the cash for armour you had someone else to worry about getting it to you. so carts and packs.
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:

You can put plate armour on without help. I saw a tutorial for that on the net, it can be done.

:eek: Any possible links? That would be nice to see.
Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
You can put plate armour on without help.

Agreed, but it's a pain in the butt!
Bill Grandy wrote:

Agreed, but it's a pain in the butt!

Then you are probably doing it wrong!

Sorry, someone had to say it. :D
Chuck Russell wrote:
i know macpherson made bob from labelle company a leather carring case that was linen and padded. it was super sweet leather work.

u can see in paintings of armour being stored in cubbards and in armwars etc. but i'm betting if you had the cash for armour you had someone else to worry about getting it to you. so carts and packs.

I have seen (but do not have) a late medieval image of an open tent in a camp. Aside from the trestle table, which I was interested in, there were several smallish chests stuffed with straw and bits of armour. Each would be convenient to load a pack horse or mule for transport. I suspect that modern reproductions of chests for armour are just too big to be practical in this way.

Also there is lovely medium sized chest in the Victoria & Albert Musuem that would probably serve as a model for this application. It has a pleasant jousting scene on the front. {738-1895 Small Chest Oak English or French 14th Century Front carved with tourney scene.} A couple low res images of it are generously provided by http://www.medievalwoodworking.com/articles/vanda1.htm

Good hunting!
:D

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: