Anglo-Saxon Broken-Back Seax
Just got this back from an exibition it was in. The blade was influenced by some of the Anglo Saxon artifacts in the British Museum. The grip and scabbard are carved birseye maple, and the blade is marquenched 1084, some of the last of that excellent steel I had left since they stopped making it.

blade - marquenched 1084

blade length -14 3/8"

blade width - 1 1/8"

grip length - 5 7/8"

spacers - bronze and leather

wood - birdseye maple

[ Linked Image ]
Hey Jacob, absolutely outstanding work as usual sir! What steels will you work with now that your 1084 is drying up? Will it be more work with the L6? W1? 1086?
Beautiful! Jake, your work continues to amaze!
thanks guys. I'm using 1075, and admiral L6 wich is essentially 1075 with some nicle, so it's a good match for pattern welding.
Jake, your work is amazing as usual.

We'll have to talk next year some time about a Viking Spear and Danish Axe. :D
That's sweet!
Just trying to learn a little more about steels. If you don't mind my asking, what was so nice about the 1084 that makes you mourn its passing?
Dear Jacob,
I'm savoring the last few pages of Bernard Cornwell's latest, "The Pale Horseman"
and a seax figures prominently. So when mentioned I'll picture your lovely piece!

Best,
Doug Gentner
Quote:
If you don't mind my asking, what was so nice about the 1084 that makes you mourn its passing?

Here, here. What's the "drying up"? there's a story here we rank ametuers aren't hearing.
oh, they stopped making it so It's pretty hard to get. I liked it because it had the right combination of simple carbon/iron with a little bit of manganese to give it a bit of deap hardenning characteristics, so It's good for marquenching and stuff if you like but you can be just as good with a more traditional oil quench. But mostly I was used to it, and that's one of the most important things for heat treating.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: