Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New Tinker Type XVA Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Mike Arledge

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: My New Tinker Type XVA         Reply with quote

Overall length: 42 and ¾ inches
Blade length: 34 inches
Blade width at cross: 1 and 5/8 inches
Crossguard: 8 and ½ inches
Hilt length: 8 and ¾ inches
Handle length: 6 and ¼ inches
Point of balance: 3 and ½ inches from cross
Center of Percussion: 17 and ½ from hilt
Blade width at COP: 1 inches
Weight: 3 lbs 4.8 ounces

Purchased this sword from Lee Reeves.
This is the first sword of this type I have ever owned or handled. I normally go for blades that are made for cutting. I have been eyeing this piece for some time. I found this sword to be smaller in person than in photos. It is a light looking sword in person, but tends to photograph as a heftier sword. It handles very fast, has excellent blade geometry, and a near flawless finish. The only finishing issues I had are that the last 2-3 inches of the point are a bit uneven, but some of that is almost an optical effect of the distil taper. It thrusts very nicely and is a decent enough cutter to take out milk jugs. I haven't had the time to try it out on a 2-Liter.

I have re-wrapped the grip in a softer leather over the standard Tinker grip. My plans for the sword are to send it to Tinker again in the future to get some engraving done on the pommel. I am also thinking of having him provide me with another crossguard and pommel to have several options for display. I was inspired by Jon Snow's sword "Longclaw" from George RR Martin's "A Song of Ice and Fire". I would like to replicate that as much as possible (with the one exception being that Longclaw has 3 fullers). But I would like to have a pommel with a stone insert and a Dire Wolf Sigil engraved. So this is a project sword that I hope to provide some updates for in the not too distant future.

Mike J Arledge

The Dude Abides
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 24 Feb, 2007 8:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations on your new Tinker, Mike! It looks good now, but it sounds like you have some interesting upgrades in store for the sword, so I'll be interested in seeing your progress.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Mon 26 Feb, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. I just sent my type XIV Tinker I got last year to Christian Fletcher for a new scabbard and a regrip, much as you did for this one. His swords do handle very nicely and point very fast, yet cut nicely too. Enjoy the sword, it looks like a real winner.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My New Tinker Type XVA
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic