Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for a new sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Looking for a new sword         Reply with quote

I'm new here and am interested in a bastard or hand and a half sword.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what to get for say $300-$400?

Has anyone heard anything about the Paul Chen hand and a half sword?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Billy,
Thanks for posting this separately. It should help you get better responses.

As for advice, we have well over 100 product reviews on the Reviews page, including a number of swords that would fit your price range, including swords by Museum Replicas, Del Tin, and Angus Trim. If you bump up your price range another $200 or so (a significant price increase for most people's budgets, including mine), you open yourself up to things made by Albion or Arms & Armor.

Between the reviews and other readers' advice, we should be able to help you out. Happy

Which Chen hand and a half were you looking at?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I was looking at the practical hand and a half or the king Albrecht. I like the practical because of the plainess and I'm not sure I need an edged blade. If there was a big difference in quality though I'd go woth the other one.

I lke the Albions for sure. But I don't like the blade shape of their Bastard Sword in the sqire series. The Next Gen are too expensive at this point but I wilbe saving. Happy.

I'll check the reviews!

thanks! Big Grin
Jeff Kauffeldt

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently got an Albion Squire Line Late 15th Century Bartard Swoard and I love it. I would highly recommend it. Its well worth the money. Heres the link. http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/sq...astard.htm
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is an alternative - http://www.angustrimdirect.com/ - some of his longswords are under $400.00. The emphasis is on performance over looks.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
Here is an alternative - http://www.angustrimdirect.com/ - some of his longswords are under $400.00. The emphasis is on performance over looks.

Gus's swords have already been mentioned in this thread Happy , and are pretty easily the best-performing swords in the price range.

Happy

ChadA

Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks all,

I like the Angus Trim swords as well. The only problem is then you need $145 minimum for a scabbard too. I also don' t understand what Standard assembly: hex keyed nut means. a hex nut in the pommel?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Billy H wrote:
Thanks all,

I like the Angus Trim swords as well. The only problem is then you need $145 minimum for a scabbard too. I also don' t understand what Standard assembly: hex keyed nut means. a hex nut in the pommel?

Unfortunately, only the least expensive swords seem to come with scabbards any more, and they are basically just leather sheaths, not proper scabbards in most cases.

Gus Trim makes the hilts of his swords dismountable, which is ahistoric for the period they represent; many users find it handy, though. The guard, grip, and pommel slide over the tang and are secured by the threaded pommel nut. You need an allen wrench to unscrew the pommel nut to disassemble the swords.

Happy

ChadA

Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Gus's swords have already been mentioned in this thread Happy , and are pretty easily the best-performing swords in the price range.

oops Eek! I need to read through these threads with more attention
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Hanwei practical hand and a half is definately worth the price. It's very inexpensive, and decently sturdy. Some of my longsword students have bought these as starter blunts to train with. They handle well enough, and aren't too heavy. The hilt components eventually start loosening up faster than a more expensive blunt sword, but that's to be expected. Also the leather wrap on the grip seems to be poorly attached, and comes off pretty easily. But if you aren't cutting with it, it will probably be just fine for decoration and casual swinging. Plus it comes with a scabbard, so for that price it's almost too good to be true. These lack any real refinement in shaping, but they do represent a realistic handling sword much better than a decorative stainless steel sword typically would.

I've handled the sharp version a number of years ago, and from what I remember it feels pretty similar in handling. The finish is a little nicer, and there are some smaller details added. I don't know if it is any sturdier or not as I only held it.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the explanation Chad! Happy

Bill, I appreciate you words as well. Especially coming from someone who teaches swordsmanship.

I just found the Hanwei sword for $117. I think I may get this and keep it for costume and swinging around then save up for an Albion or Angus Trim.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Billy H wrote:
Thanks all,

Actually, Billy, its $100, not $145 {at angustrimdirect}. Those are leather though, reinforced both tip and throat. Though not mentioned anywhere, because I don't recommend them, are $60 alternative scabbards, also leather. Quite serviceable, but lets face it, cheap........

swords are fun
Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks!! It's funny you mentioned it cause I had just found tat on the angustrimdirect site. Laughing Out Loud

The price I quoted was from a different site. I didn't realize it at first.

I realy like the 1415 and the 1313 but for some reason i can't pul up the details on the ATdirect site??
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Billy H wrote:
Thanks!! It's funny you mentioned it cause I had just found tat on the angustrimdirect site. Laughing Out Loud

The price I quoted was from a different site. I didn't realize it at first.

I realy like the 1415 and the 1313 but for some reason i can't pul up the details on the ATdirect site??

Hi Billy

Yeah, I like those two too........

What details? {sounds like more work on the site needed}

swords are fun
Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim Model 1512
Total Length: 42"
Blade Length: 33"
Handle Length: 7"
Weight: 2.4 lb
Price: $375

Here are the detail lsted for the 1512. Also a good looking sword. Happy

It seems many of the swords will display this stuff but others will not. I kind of thought it was me.
Angus Trim

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Billy H wrote:
Angus Trim Model 1512
Total Length: 42"
Blade Length: 33"
Handle Length: 7"
Weight: 2.4 lb
Price: $375

Here are the detail lsted for the 1512. Also a good looking sword. Happy

It seems many of the swords will display this stuff but others will not. I kind of thought it was me.

Hi Billy

Both mentioned swords come up for me. The AT1313 has a 35 inch blade, and a 7 inch handle. The 1415 has a 36 inch blade.... just for instance............

I'm going to bow out of this thread now, since other sword makers were mentioned, but if you have any questions feel free to email........

Thanks.......

swords are fun
Billy H

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok I got it. I was using Mozilla and not Internet Explorer.

Thanks for all your help. That 1313 is sweet!! Happy
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Billy,

$300-$400 gives you quite a few more options in longsword than you might think. . .

An Albion Squire Line, sharp, shipped, would be about $400. Gus Trim makes a few different models around the $400 price point (sometimes a little closer to $500). If you like what you see from Gus, and are looking for a good deal, check out Lee Reeves' site and you'll find plenty to fit your budget.

I would definately second Bob's recommendations [in the Durer thread] if you had said $200-$300, but in my mind that extra $100 can get you quite a bit more value these days.

[edited to make more sense because somehow my post jumped threads. . .strange]

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Looking for a new sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic