Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Maurice Turin Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 29 Jan, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The pics I have cannot be shared on the net or printed. That was something I had to agree on to be able to do the documentation. All museums have their own rules in thses matters...

As to patia, the original has some sccatterings of small dark pits and an overall nice deep and shiny grey color. It looks more patinatd in some publications than it really is.

If I were to patinate it I would sprinkle it with a mist of some acid in a non-uniform way (both blade and hilt). Rinse this of and daken the whole sword and then polish most of the dark of wih steel wool.

I donīt know, Itīs just taht it would b nice to see this one brought even closer to the original. It is not for every one. Perhaps the safest is to leave it as it is?

I might do a patiantion of one specine at some time, just to be able to compare it with the original as it is now.

If you plan on using your sword in cutting practice it will get a natural patina all of its own over time.

Best
Peter

Steve Maly wrote:
Peter Johnsson wrote:

Hey Steve, I think you should do it!
Perhaps not as heavily as you gaddhjalt (from what it looks like on the pic), but a little patina. It would then become very close in character to the original.

With the Gaddhjalt, I left it at its darkest. A bit of steel wool would have lightened it quite a bit. The metal polish/cleaner that I used left the slightest gray haze on the blade during the "cleanings" until I got the antiquing "just right". This is what I would imagine from a original sword that had been cleaned but not restored. From the picture posted here (http://pics.myArmoury.com/view.html?smot1200-1250.jpg), the SoSM appears to have a rather heavy patina on the distal 1/2 of the sword. Peter, do you happen to have any color pictures that might better illustrate the level or extent of the patina? However, with the $$$ spent on it, I'd be pretty tentative to try it at all! What would that do to the darkened lettering? Would metal polish take it off or would the salt/vinegar solution remove it?
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter, how quickly does a patina begin to develop on a sword? I noticed a few small darker splotches on my Squire Line Bastard after just a few weeks; does patination begin to occur this quickly?
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
Peter, how quickly does a patina begin to develop on a sword? I noticed a few small darker splotches on my Squire Line Bastard after just a few weeks; does patination begin to occur this quickly?

It depends very much on conditions, climate and the person handling the sword. Some people seem to have a strong reactive effect on steel surface, while others do not.

-Personal chemistry?

It also depends on humidity of the surrounding.

Keeping the sword waxed (I use car wax) or oiled delay this effect.
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

. . . and to think I was just kind of kidding around about the antique treatment. . .

Peter,

Not to promote artistic forgery here, but seeing as we are on the subject, I was thinking it would be interesting to see the results of an antiquing process done on this sword, as well as the rest of the museum line, using your uniquely detailed documentation as a guide. If nothing else to see just how close to the mark one can really get with your recreations. . .

Strange aside: assuming it could be done, I think the results of the "antique" versions of the museum line would make an interesting foundation for a travelling museum exhibit. Sort of a bridge for folks half way around the world who would otherwise never get a chance to see the real thing up close and personal. Maybe fill out things with some specially done next gen pieces in full historical dress and build an "art exhibit" of sorts, rolling it all together with a smaller museum's usually dormant, commonly smallish, but sadly rarely seen antique arms collection (give the museum a kick in the right direction to "motivate" them into displaying some pieces that forever remain in hiding, not strong enough on their own to warrant permanent space on display). . .

Just a couple of thoughts. . . sometimes chasing the devil can be fun Happy
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings All, This is more of a style question. I have several books including Oakeshott's "Records". Except for the SoSM, most all of the Brazil nut pommels I have seen pictured are matched with a straight guard. Now I know there a whole lot more books and catalogs as well as museums, museum backrooms and private collections out there so my small group of books doesn't count for much. Big Grin
What I would like to know is has anybody seen any other Brazil nut/ curved cross swords other than the SoSM. I like this style and I feel they do exsist, it just strikes me as odd that I have not seen any others than the SoSM. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
Greetings All, This is more of a style question. I have several books including Oakeshott's "Records". Except for the SoSM, most all of the Brazil nut pommels I have seen pictured are matched with a straight guard. Now I know there a whole lot more books and catalogs as well as museums, museum backrooms and private collections out there so my small group of books doesn't count for much. Big Grin
What I would like to know is has anybody seen any other Brazil nut/ curved cross swords other than the SoSM. I like this style and I feel they do exsist, it just strikes me as odd that I have not seen any others than the SoSM. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin

There is the Sandeherred (spelling?) sword in Petersens work, that Oakshott refers to in SAC. Not exactly the same type of Brazil nut, but a variant of that wide theme, and the guard is curved (bit like albion's norman).
Geoff
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Fri 03 Feb, 2006 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Geoff Wood, Thank you so much for the reference. I was able to locate it and take a look. I hope some others show up. I am sure they are out there somewhere. Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Maurice Turin
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: