Functional and historic ways of attaching points..
I would like to attach some points/leatherchords to my pourpoint for the legs and the shoulders. Is there a smart way of doing this that does not tear the fabric apart after some use? Tips appriciated.
Re: Functional and historic ways of attaching points..
W. Stilleborn wrote:
I would like to attach some points/leatherchords to my pourpoint for the legs and the shoulders. Is there a smart way of doing this that does not tear the fabric apart after some use? Tips appriciated.

Use an awl to push a hole through the fabric, make it maybe 1/4 inch in diameter, then a thread and needle to "button hole" stitch around the edges of the hole. Two of these close together, and you can thread the point through. The hole won't encourage ripping or unraveling since you don't cut or mangle the fabric, and the stitching will both keep it open and add strength.
gordon has it dead on!

if your hanging armour and you think the weight is a factor on your button hole stitch, add a piece of leather with 2 holes on the inside of your garment. it doesnt have to be attached, just when u put the lace thru the point hole, put it thru the leather also and then back out. leather only needs to be like 1 inch by 2 inch rectangle etc.
Great replies. I had a similar plan for the leather, and with the added stitching-method it will be a killer i bet.
Danke!
Another strengthening idea would be to insert a small metal ring over the awl'ed hole, and to stitch that as part of the buttonhole stitch. This will help prevent wear and tear on the fabric.
Jessica Finley wrote:
Another strengthening idea would be to insert a small metal ring over the awl'ed hole, and to stitch that as part of the buttonhole stitch. This will help prevent wear and tear on the fabric.

theres a 16thc arming jacket with this method. but its done thruout the jacket for ventalation.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: