Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for brass/bronze worker to make scabbard chape Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Looking for brass/bronze worker to make scabbard chape         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly made a nice scabbard for my Sovereign a while back. I wanted a brass or bronze chape for it, though, which he didn't have the equipment to make. So, I have a leather-covered wood core that needs a simple chape made. I'm looking for someone to finish it off.

I've contacted most of the scabbard makers out there already: Russ Ellis doesn't make brass chapes, he orders them and tries to make them fit. I'd prefer something made specifically for this scabbard. Christian Fletcher only makes complete scabbards, he declined to work on someone else's. Albion doesn't sell Campaign Scabbard chapes by themselves and Mike and I figured the Moat Sale chapes wouldn't fit. Art Elwell is busy these days; I'm waiting to hear from him. Etc, etc.

So, are there any people out there willing to do some simple brass work? I'll try to post a pic of the scabbard later.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Fri 13 Jan, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The chapes for sale at Albion's moat sale page are a great deal. Even if you decide it is not quite what you wanted after you get it, you are only out about $10 ($5 for the chape, and some for shipping.) I am sure that you would opt to hang on to them for possible future do it yourself scabbards.

I bought three of them. They measure about 2.5" wide and 0.75" thick inside at the center of the opening, then transition down to a roughly 0.5" radius tip over a length from opening to tip of 5". These were plain brass, but good for just a basic scabbard. A friend with a metal cutting bandsaw can cut off some of the length (or cut a pleasing bell mouth curve as I had someone do for mine.)

This was my first attempt at leather working so the result is pretty poor. However, one should not fault the chape. If I had the chape in hand while making the wool lined and laminated core, I would have tapered the end more smoothly.

Attachment: 5.19 KB
tip.jpg
1st Gen Crecy do it yourself scabbard

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Looking for brass/bronze worker to make scabbard chape
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic