Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Big bad wolf and heraldry ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that, Kel! If I ever get around to making a scabbard for my swords, there several there that I rather like. And of course, that link might help Jean out; which I guess is okay, too. Razz

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: wolf motif decorative mounts         Reply with quote

Kel Rekuta wrote:
A lot of Ontario SCAdians are into the wolf motif as part of the regional identity. I know Kes Smith at Fettered Cock Pewters has made a number of different molds for them. There is at least one offering at the bottom of this page. http://www.fetteredcockpewters.com/page_belt_mounts.htm

Kes is great to deal with. She's been making this kind of thing a long time. She probably has other things which will work for your scabbard project.

Cheers!

Yes, I found that one last night. Not sure it is suitable though, that wolf looks sort of weak IMO, however contacting Kes isn't a horrible idea to see if she has something else! Thanks for the thought!

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson;

The thought is appreciated, yes it might help and Russ might find something else " wolflike " that he might like more.

No wimpy wolves please ........ LOL.

And Kel, thanks for the link: Will have a look later. Always a good thing to make people aware of good suppliers / artists out there. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

But Jean, it's just so adorable and cudly. And,just like house cats, you could get two, so that it has someone to play with... Laughing Out Loud

-Grey

P.S. better tie a pink bow on one so that you can tell them apart.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson;

Cuddly ........ yes sort of cuddly and nice, but I want FANGS BIG FANGS ....... Razz Laughing Out Loud

Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HEY! My sword belt has 10 of those wolves on it - quit picking on my belt Wink

Here is the heraldry that I use in the IJA and as part of my Living History interpretation:

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lloyd;

Nice heraldry. Cool

Well if you have 10 of those wolves on your belt they are more " menacing " in packs. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Bill Duncan

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolves and other animals will attack weakened humans and in the non-modern world people do not always die in hospitals or at home when they are deathly ill, given this thought it could be feasible to think that a pack could have learned that humans can be a food source? An example. A group of pilgrims are going to some Holy shrine of some sort and in the group are some who are making the trek because this is their last gasp at holding on to life, well they just don't make it and they pass away at different times along the way. Now while they are not just left to rot where they fall they are not buried very deep or coved well and a wolf pack finds the corpses and has a meal (gross!) and learns that small groups of humans can mean a large meal. Now what happens when times are really hard on the pack? Humans are actively hunted, now I don’t mean that a pack would jump a group of people that are caravanning from one city to another but one or two people are fare game.
One of my bro’s from the Corp. was in Eastern Europe with the U.N. peace keepers back when all hell was breaking lose over there and he told me about some of the things he saw (he needed booze before he told me and I need it after.) And one thing he told me about was the fact that wild and domestic animals did do things to the bodies that were left after some of the slaughters, nuff said on this.
As a general rule most wild animals look on humans as bad medicine but if they are hungry enough and we are weakened by injury or ill health we are fair game.
Dunc

May you live as long as you want but never want for as long as you live
Allen W

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I generally agree with Bill. It is often observed that instances of man-eating among lions increase with proximity (both temporal and spacial) to bush wars and it has been speculated that the higher propensity for man-eating among the lions of Tsavo was partly a social evolution along the slave caravans initially picked up by scavenging abandoned slave carcasses.

However we must also look to the fact that man and wolves evolved alongside each other in the old world and fear of humans would probably have been learned rather late. In the New World by contrast, man was an unfamiliar intruder and naturally feared as alien. I believe it is upon this new world experience that we get we get such statements as There is no credible proof of an unprovoked attack on man by a healthy wolf etc. Where as the the wolf's presence during the initial domestication of plants and animals as well as the close proximity in which man lived with such domestic animals makes human depredation a near certainty in the old world.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think firearms in the New World change the equaition quite a bit too.

The caveat of unproked has the potential to be a pretty large catch all. Using provokation as a filter without careful framing and without considering consequences could exclude examples that might not be so wise to ingnore.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sat 14 Jan, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen W wrote:
In the New World by contrast, man was an unfamiliar intruder and naturally feared as alien.

Do you mean 11,000 or so years ago when humans first spread across North America or 500 or so years ago when the first firearm toting Europeans came on the scene? There isn't much difference in lethality between a blunderbuss and a native shortbow. At that point, I think the bow might have been a little bit better for hunting purposes. The only strange new thing from a wolf's perspective would be the noise and smoke accompanying the nasty stinging thing. They'd had more than ten millennia to get used to people.

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Allen W

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I meant 11,000 years ago with fully evolved, organised humans meeting fully evolved, organised timber wolves for the first time in North America contrasted against their simultaneous social and physical evolution in the old world (I realise the first Americans would be familiar with wolves but would themselves be new to the wolves of America).
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think there isn't a natural fear of humans by animals and an unknown to them creature ( humans ) might instil initial caution but a few successful attacks by wolves might convince them that humans = food.

A few dead wolves would convince a pack that attacking humans was a bad idea.

Millennia of it being a bad idea to attack humans would instil a learned and almost hereditary fear of humans as older wolves would by their own fear and caution teach the young ones to avoid humans as much as possible.

Opportunistic attacks of lone vulnerable humans might still happen.

Again, fear of humans! If humans are new to animals, fear of us doesn't seen innate to me: A few examples would be the stupid or simply slow, fat and curious DODO birds that showed no fear of humans and would walk up to humans to be easily killed. Very unfortunate and a big waste as I have read that they tasted really bad: So there was probably no good reason to kill one except that it was so easy to do.

Today, I think Penguins in Antarctica seem to show no fear of humans since they are not being killed by the scientists studying them.

Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder if human economy had anything to do with the difference in wolf behavior towards man from continent to continent. In Europe, there were a far greater number of people who herded animals for a living. Most Native American cultures used other means for sustinance and clothing. So it might go without saying that a group of people armed with the technology of archery and stone knapping can make themselves formidable to just about any predators no matter what continent they're on, but where flocks of domesticated animals were concerned, perhaps European wolves had more incentive to risk the business end of our spears since it meant a chance at carrying off some of our sheep. In America, there were very few places where domesticated animals were on the menu until the arrival of Europeans and so there was no real reason to even go near us until we came over and brought our herds of furry happy meals along with us. Even today, wolves will risk being shot to grab some of a rancher's stock, whih is one reason why returning wolves to the wild in some places is such a political issue today. Even though the wolves are not targeting humans, we take it just as personally as if they were.
Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Big bad wolf and heraldry ?
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: