Go to page 1, 2  Next

New Scabbard for my Towton.
I made this wood cored scabbard for my new Windlass Towton.

I have been re-enacting for 15 years and have never made a scabbard, this is the first one.

The parrallel risers are where the belt suspension will attach.

I still have to finish sewing up the back seam and the steel chape needs to be moved up higher and set in place.

Pretty happy with the way it came out for a first effort. :D

My next project is to remove the lacquer and redo the grip.

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]

[ Linked Image ]
Great job! A few questions:

-How did you do the risers?
-Did you make the chape yourself?
-How do you decide where to attach the suspension system?
Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Great job! A few questions:

-How did you do the risers?
-Did you make the chape yourself?
-How do you decide where to attach the suspension system?

Thanks.

They are 3mm round cord glued to the wood.

The chape was on the leather scabbard that came with the sword. It wasn't too bad so I cleaned it up and reshaped it a little bit to fit the new scabbard.

I have been using swords for about 15years on and off horseback so I have a pretty good idea of where I like them to hang.
How are you going to set the chape in place? Is it just a friction fit, or do you use glue, or some other sneeky method I haven't thought of?

-Grey
Rod;

Well if this is your first effort it looks very professionally made to me and it is also very well designed and attractive. :cool:
Good question!!
Greyson Brown wrote:
How are you going to set the chape in place? Is it just a friction fit, or do you use glue, or some other sneeky method I haven't thought of?

-Grey

Thats definatly a good question and one I have thinking off asking also...

Someone else into scabbard making, that can answer??
The chape is pressure fitted. I squashed it open in the vice, inserted the scabbard tip and tapped it into place and then relesed the vice. The steel sprang back and it is very tightly fitted now.

This may not work for the next chape as I will make one from scratch in brass.
Thanks, I have wondered about the attachment of lockets as well. Let me know how you end up going about that if you redo that, too.

-Grey
i would be glad to know if theer is an internet source that teches how to work leather in this way, stitching included.
Thanks
Thanks Rod!
I will remember that one.

Anyway i am thinking of proposing an extra thread here upon myArmoury.com, with al kind of do it your self topics.
There seam to apear more and more people here on this thread that are making verry cool, and to my oppinion verry hight qualitie, "home" projects...

And i would love to here more about the way they do that...
... maybe because i tend to mess up my one home projects every now and then... :lol: :lol: :lol: :\ :D :eek: :p
Nice job on the scabbard. I just hope my future first attempt will be as successful.
Re: Good question!!
Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Greyson Brown wrote:
Thats definatly a good question and one I have thinking off asking also...
Someone else into scabbard making, that can answer??

I don't know about historical accuracy, but I'm going to use hide glue for mine. For those not familiar, it's a glue made from rendered animal parts. There's even a version called mouth glue, where you chew on the animal parts to make it. It's been around forever. It's extremely strong glue, but has the drawback of being water soluble.

I'll be using Knox gelatin as the base for my glue, since I don't have any sinew or fish bladders on hand :)

-Joe
Good Job, Rod! That scabbard looks quite nice, especially for a first attempt! Keep us posted on the suspensary system, and how it looks when it's finished and hanging off of your belt (especially how it hands while your mounted.)

Cheers!

Gordon
First effort? Wow. Very impressive work, Rod.
That looks fantastic! I've been toying with the idea of giving my Towton a makeover in terms of a grip re-wrap and possibly a new scabbard, so I'm interested to see how your project turns out. :)
Thanks for the kind words all. I didn't have any decent buckles for the belt for this scabbard so I made this one from scratch, again, this is the first buckle I've ever made :D

I may not use it as I am going to make a few more and see if I can do better.

[ Linked Image ]

Hope to have the belt and suspension all finished this weekend.
Very nice work there! Are all your first efforts as nice as these two? :cool:
Rod;

First efforts. :eek: :eek: :eek: Some people with years of experience would have trouble making something that would be so much better that we would notice it at a glance. :p :cool:

Looks like you are at at least within a stone' s throw of fully professional work. :D
Very slick work Rod.

Greyson Brown wrote:
Thanks, I have wondered about the attachment of lockets as well. Let me know how you end up going about that if you redo that, too.

Despite the fondness of sword manufacturers for putting them on every scabbard regardless of period, I'm not aware of lockets at the mouth of any scabbards before the late 17th century.

Cheers
Stephen
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: