myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > William Marshall Sword. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: William Marshall Sword.         Reply with quote

Having read the review of CAS Iberia's Marshall sword I feel that I should make some comments on it.
This sword was made from a copy made for me by Simon at Raven Armoury. Mine is a superb copy of the original in the Wallace Collection, #A459. Simon follwed the measurements and the weight pretty exactly. Barry Ross was visiting my house with Paul Chen and asked if he could copy it. I referred hjim to Simon, who gave Barry permission to copy the sword. Paul too photos and measurements here at my place. Barry asked for some ideas on marketing the sword, and I suggested that he mention that it is believed to have dated from the time of William Marshall and could have been carried by him. I have no idea why they called it the sword of William Marshall. The copy Paul made is pretty good, but not quite as accurate as the one Simon did. The pommel on the Iberia sword is not as large and thick as it should be. I think the Raven blade is better and made with better steel, but the CAS sword is still very good for the money.

Hank Reinhardt
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 07 Jan, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: William Marshall Sword.         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
...The copy Paul made is pretty good, but not quite as accurate as the one Simon did...I think the Raven blade is better and made with better steel, but the CAS sword is still very good for the money.
Probably two effects, here, don't you think, Hank? One is that CAS sword is a copy of a copy, and, as such, we should expect it to be somewhat farther from the original. The second is that, as you note, the CAS sword is good for the money. I imagine that your Raven piece was quite a bit more expensive. Do you have any photos that you would like to share?
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have the Sir William Marshall Sword by Paul Chen Hanwei http://kultofathena.com/product~item~PC2000.htm

I am just wondering, is this the same sword your discussing?

Thanks,

Bob
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: William Marshall Sword.         Reply with quote

Bob, didn't this post until after I had answered the other one. Yep, its the same sword. The pommel on mine is to the same measurements as to the original. I think Paul's is a little smaller. Not that it makes that much difference. Oh, I think I can agree with your comments on Hollywood without you having to make them. Best, Hank
Hank Reinhardt

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > William Marshall Sword.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic