Just curious
I know this may seem a little strange and off topic but i have a 150-200 year old forge in my back yard and i was wondering if anyone knows where i could find blacksmithing coal in my area.
Tim,

Welcome to myArmoury.com! Since you only have your location listed as Canada, we can't be very specific (although it doesn't matter, since I don't know coal seller's outside of Colorado very well).

Most feed stores in the States sell coal. Some hardware stores might, but that would be your local mom & pop/general store, not an ACE hardware. Someone else might be able to help you more if you can tell us where "[your] area" is.

-Grey

P.S. I did a search on google.com for Coal "[my home town], [my home state]" It came up with over a dozen pages of places that have, sell, or work with coal, and the inevitable places that have coal in the name. Some of these places I know sell coal, some I know don't, and some I'm not sure of. Doing a search for you area might at least give you some numbers to call.
Another thing is Tim that unless your looking to do some forge welding you can use charcoal to work with. When we used to use a coal forge ,like Greyson said I think we got our coal from a local Farm And Tractor. Alot of feed places carry it.
Where are you located? You could contact a local blacksmith if there is one near you, and find out (if they use coal) where to get it from.
Don't you guys have trouble with clinkers and impurities with the stuff you get at the corner feed store? I forge with gas myself (fire codes, note that I live around Boston) but all the coal guys I've talked to go out of their way to get good quality, low sulfur coal.
Shawn Shaw wrote:
Don't you guys have trouble with clinkers and impurities with the stuff you get at the corner feed store? I forge with gas myself (fire codes, note that I live around Boston) but all the coal guys I've talked to go out of their way to get good quality, low sulfur coal.

The local Feed and Grain in my area actually sells bona fide blacksmith's coal. You are going to get some clinker when you use coal; that's just a given. I like the stuff they sell because, while it does form clinker, it does so slowly, and it all likes to stick together. It is easier to clean one decent size chunk of clinker out than it is to find and fight with a bunch of little ones.

Ideally though, we want to get our hands on some coke. There is a place in Wyoming (I'm actually from Colorado, despite what it says to the left) tha makes scientific grade coke for experiments. You know what they do with anything that doesn't meet their standards for purity? They bury it. :eek: We are trying to find out who to talk to so that they will stop burying the stuff, and send it our way instead. :D

-Grey

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: