What is the best way to fasten spaulders/shoulders?
What is the best way to fasten spaulders/shoulders i wonder. Right now i have them fasten with strap and buckle to my gorget, but it feels a little stiff . I was hoping that someone with expericence could give some tips on how to fasten armour the best way to stay agile.
What is it you mean by stiff? Are you getting points where you feel a "pull" when going through the full range of motion with gorget and espauliers/spaulders on?
While heavily articulated full pauldrons were fastened to gorgets, spaulders usually lace up to the arming garment with 'points' (laces for armor pieces).

A small leather tab is riveted to the top of the spaulder. This tab is punched with holes allowing the points, which are attached to the arming coat, to be fed through and tied.

Hope this helps,

Christian
Allan Senefelder wrote:
What is it you mean by stiff? Are you getting points where you feel a "pull" when going through the full range of motion with gorget and espauliers/spaulders on?

Well its a feeling that its more unflexable then it should be, and i was thinking that maby buckles is an inferiour solution. My set-up is like this; both shoulders and arms are buckled to the gorget, and that is what keeps them up, what keeps them "to the arm" is buckles around the lower arm, where the elbow flexes and then the lower strap of the spaulder holds the upper part of the arm, around the bicep. I have recently been looking at the arm & shoulder design for some gothic armours with the "free elbow" just attached w a strap and with the spaulder also cover all the way down to the elbow, this seems to me like a superior way to attain agility, and im pissed i didnt know of this solution before i went into the late 14th/early 15th -century design.
Well when your looking at that type of Gothic arm assembly actually all four parts tend to be seperate and tied on to points(what Christian was mentioning) on the arming coat with additonal buckles where necessary'appropriate. Wheres it bunch up/not move far enough?
I would say the biggest lack of movement is at the elbow, and the way the lower part of the spaulders are connected to the upper arm/bicep also hinders my movement. Im aiming for the gothic style arms, when i can afford it.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: