Chistmas, old school (Drunk and disorderly, pt1)
In these days, we are compelled to tell the tale of Christmas Past, more specifically the year 1181, in Norway
The saga of King Sigurd says:

"King Magnus [Sverre's rival] prepared to celebrate Christmas in Bergen. He let the large hall be prepared for the Hirdmen [bodyguard], and the Guests [enforcers] in the "Sunnivastova" hall.
The guests did not like that the Hirdmen drank mead, while they only got simple beer. On the fifth day of Christmas, when the Guests where drunken, they ran for their weapons, and went to the king's hall, where they wanted to chop down the door.
When the king became aware of this, he immediately ran to the door, and wanted to stop them. But his Thrall, Bård Skjold, ran out into the front room before him. He was immediately killed.
After that the king went back inside. The Hirdmen closed the door, but the guest broke it down again.
Then those that had been on guard that day ran to the door, because they where the only ones in the hall that had weapons. Some took down stones from the fireplace and threw them into the front room.
When the city folk and the kings huskars, and the huskars of the Lendmen [estate holders], they armed themselves and went to the kings hall. Then the Guests pulled away. Many men where wounded there.
The next morning King Magnus ordered those Guests who had been in the lead seized. He had hands or feet chopped of some, and some hanged"

Oh, that ol' time holiday cheer...
I guess the entire 'peace and goodwill for all' part was introduced after all this. :D

Kidding aside, it is rather interesting to read about Christmas 'back in the day'. I for one never knew that back then they had (atleast) 5 days of Christmas.
When you travel for a week to go to a party, you expect it to last a while...

The king would presumably stay in Bergen all winter, and there is no reason to stop feasting until you are, well, out of stuff to drink.

A propper weding feast would last for three days.
HMMMMMMM : Raise your arm against the King and have it cut off. :eek: Sort of puts a grim spin to the right to bear arms or even have " arms " to bear the arms. :p :eek:

Elling: So did they have mead for everyone the next year ? Or did the one's only getting beer the next year " behave " !
Thomas Hoogendam wrote:
I guess the entire 'peace and goodwill for all' part was introduced after all this. :D

Kidding aside, it is rather interesting to read about Christmas 'back in the day'. I for one never knew that back then they had (atleast) 5 days of Christmas.

As I recall, there were in fact 12 days of Christmas. Hence the song with all of the gifts (partridge in a pear tree, etc.) but also Shakespeare's Twelfth Night play. It ended on January 6, the Three Kings Day.
Felix Wang wrote:
...As I recall, there were in fact 12 days of Christmas. Hence the song with all of the gifts (partridge in a pear tree, etc.) but also Shakespeare's Twelfth Night play. It ended on January 6, the Three Kings Day.
Actually, there still are 12 days of Christmas.
On the 12th day of Christmas my true love sent to me...

No i can't remember the rest. :D
Hehe, the side-effects of alcohol :p

Why did they complain about having only beer to drink? Was Mead considered to be so much better? Maybe I should try it :D
Mead was made with honey, and thus a lot more expensive and exclusive.
Beer was, literally, drunk for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and as such quite "everyday".
It was commonly accepted that beer was more healthy than water. At that time, it was quite likely true as well; contaminated water was common.
Everybody brewed their own beer, by the barrel. There were actually fines for the people that didn't brew enough...
And mead are always Sold Out to :wtf: every where i go, last time that happened was in Hornbore longhouse,
but i get me one bottle one week later from a museum :D

Attachment: 26.94 KB
honeymead2.jpg

Oh thanks for the explanation :)
So it was the "you get the Chardonnay and we have to drink this everyday-stuff" thing ;)

However, I think I'd go for the beer (at least nowadays ;) )
Oh, New Year's Eve is close ;)
Would be curious to try mead :?: :lol:

Wonder if I can find some locally :?: Anybody can give us a review of mead for purely historical reasons. :p :lol:
as it might affect one's swordsmanship :( :lol:
The kingsmirror states that you should take care to drink regularly while training, but take care not to get drunk.
As above mentioned, beer was the number one refreshment of the day.
Of course, the beer drunk for "every day use" would be quite thin and low on alcohol. Strong beer, ale and mead was for festive occasions.
Wine would be used much in the same way in southern europe.
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Would be curious to try mead :?: :lol:

Wonder if I can find some locally :?: Anybody can give us a review of mead for purely historical reasons. :p :lol:
as it might affect one's swordsmanship :( :lol:

Had some at the Sterling Ren festival last year( I don't know the brand or if it even was historicaly made with honey)
Tasted alot like champagne to me, but I don't drink alot of that myself.. more ciders and ales. :lol:
Eric Nower wrote:
Had some at the Sterling Ren festival last year( I don't know the brand or if it even was historicaly made with honey)
Tasted alot like champagne to me, but I don't drink alot of that myself.. more ciders and ales. :lol:

Cider now that stuff is dangerous, goes down like fruit juice and before you know it you're GONE. :wtf: It also leaves a nasty hangover, at least thats what they tell me. :lol:
Quote:
Cider now that stuff is dangerous, goes down like fruit juice and before you know it you're GONE. It also leaves a nasty hangover, at least thats what they tell me.

That's exactly why I don't like cocktails, mixdrinks and stuff like that - too much sugar makes you drunk quite fast (and eventually very very sick :p )

Stay with beer, vine and wodka/whiskey ---> nothing can go wrong :cool:
Eric Nower wrote:
( I don't know the brand or if it even was historicaly made with honey)

For purely interest's sake:
Mead is fermented honey.
Melomels are meads with fruits.
Ciders are, obviously, fermented apple cider.
Cysers are ciders with honey added before fermentation.

Eric, I'm sure it was actually made with honey, but may well have had other carbs added to the wort to turn into ETOH. Chaucer's is a pretty common brand - tends to be a lot sweet for my taste.
Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Eric, I'm sure it was actually made with honey, but may well have had other carbs added to the wort to turn into ETOH. Chaucer's is a pretty common brand - tends to be a lot sweet for my taste.

Ohh probably...All I know is compared to the cider,it had a dry taste to it. Mom liked it, girlfriend thought it was ok, to dry for me. :wtf:
That company Svenskt Mathantverk make's Bud's to,
GästaBudssmjöd :D
I have heard that the term "honeymoon" refers partly to the drinking of mead after the wedding though I am not certain as to how the consumption of such may adversely affect performance in said event. :\ :\ ;)

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: