Go to page 1, 2  Next

Langseax from Jake Powning
I just got word that my Langseax being made by Jake Powning is on it's way! Merry Christmas to me! I thought I would post a pic to share with the forum. This is the pic that Jake sent to me as it has not yet arrived.

Attachment: 44.87 KB
1brknseax1.jpg

Very nice Tim. How long is the blade?
I haven't received it yet, so I don't know the exact blade length but the concept sketch has it listed at 21.75 inches. That should put the total length somewhere in the 27-28 inch range. I'll take measurments and post them along with some more detailed photos when it arrives.
That's nice. Jake aims to please.
I love the shape of the grip and it's carving, very organic looking.
That is a beautiful piece, Tim. Congratulations.
Tim this is one of the nicest ones I've seen, congratulations.
Absolutely beautiful.
Awesome piece of craftmanship! Congratulations :)

If you changed the grip, it would almost look like a Rugger. This one looks like the missing link between a sax and a medieval Messer/Rugger.
Absolutely beautiful, congratulations.
Shakes head... should never have sold my Powning piece... Nice work Jake.
Jake's work is amazing...

He truly is the modern incarnation of Weyland.
*wipes drool from chin* That is one beautiful blade . I've always loved Powning's work, especially the incredible carvings he's capable of.
That Seax is absolutely stunning however IMO that point is too long and could snap under any serious work
crowbar
Well I suppose you could use a crowbar for the serious work, and keep the saex for softer targets...
Hmmm. The spine is pretty thick even up towards the tip. I don't think it would break easily. If the point did snap it could easily be reground. I think the blade would have seen more use than the point anyway. Weapons that enjoy a long period of use such as the seax generally hang around because they fulfill their role.
Looks great! The blade reminds me of the langseax in the British museum while the handle looks like it has taken inspiration from a Scottish dirk. Well only the shape that is....
Hmmm... Lots of other swords and knives have some pretty accute points on them and are still worth using. I'd say if the point snaps off you shouldn't have been doing whatever it was you were doing in the first place. My first pocket knife says "Don't try to pry apart a 3 inch thick tree branch."
I just want to know how it handles?!
I bet, I bet...that she is a monster. Fast and Furious?

Well, as others have said most opponents would not have had the protection that would turn the point/blade?

There is the little Bealings saxe crafted by Peter Johnsson with his post of July 2007 [hope the link comes across I seem to have problems with simple technology!]:

http://forums.dfoggknives.com/index.php?showt...omsearch=1

Do not think the point is as pointy as Mr. Pownings, but darn close. The Johnsson and Powning blades look to be similar.

Hey, don't like it? PM me and I can give you my mailing address! :)
The inspiration for this seax was the little bealings seax, so it's no wonder that Jake's and Peter's seaxes are similar. Sure would love to own that one Peter did in addtion to this one...
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: