Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knightly Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next 
Robin Smith

Reading list: 17 books

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Why-o-why did they have to use butted maille? You can see the butted links on that poster Mad

<Rob the armour geek>

A furore Normannorum libera nos, Domine
Jean Henri Chandler

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:
Why-o-why did they have to use butted maille? You can see the butted links on that poster Mad

<Rob the armour geek>

Maybe thats why they seemed to be able to cut right through it in the clip... or did I imagine that?

J

Books and games on Medieval Europe Codex Integrum

Codex Guide to the Medieval Baltic Now available in print
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 8:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Robin Smith wrote:

Cost. Ease of manufacture. Etc. What do people expect? Happy It's the movie industry. As I've said before, expecting any level of historical accuracy from the move industry is like expecting the next breakthrough in physics from a trout. Not going to happen. Happy

That fact that they used something somewhat realistic looking for the closeup on the poster is not too bad. It's not a documentary, it's a movie. Appreciate it for what it is, rather than condemning it for what it isn't trying to be.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Robin Smith wrote:

Cost. Ease of manufacture. Etc. What do people expect? Happy It's the movie industry. As I've said before, expecting any level of historical accuracy from the move industry is like expecting the next breakthrough in physics from a trout. Not going to happen. Happy

That fact that they used something somewhat realistic looking for the closeup on the poster is not too bad. It's not a documentary, it's a movie. Appreciate it for what it is, rather than condemning it for what it isn't trying to be.

Certainly not if even people like us who know better never challenge them on it Wink

I'd agree with you in this case that butted mail isn't a problem, but I can't imagine it would have been difficult or particularly expensive for them to rent or even buy a single shirt of good riveted mail for a few close up shots....

J

Anders Lindkvist

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: The books in English...         Reply with quote

Here is the first book in English, quite expensive though....

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Jerusalem-Crusades...amp;sr=8-1

There are in total 3 books and I would recommend them. Not superhistorical but very entertaining reading. Among the best medieval fiction around, at least in Swedish...

My blog about history, handcrafts and reenactment.
http://kurage.wordpress.com
Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The books in English...         Reply with quote

Anders Lindkvist wrote:
Here is the first book in English, quite expensive though....

http://www.amazon.com/Road-Jerusalem-Crusades...amp;sr=8-1

There are in total 3 books and I would recommend them. Not superhistorical but very entertaining reading. Among the best medieval fiction around, at least in Swedish...

Wow! Yeah I think I'll have to wait for the Dell paperback edition....Sad

J

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 22 May, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Henri Chandler wrote:
Certainly not if even people like us who know better never challenge them on it Wink

I'd agree with you in this case that butted mail isn't a problem, but I can't imagine it would have been difficult or particularly expensive for them to rent or even buy a single shirt of good riveted mail for a few close up shots....

J

Unfortunately, we are a small segment of their potential viewership. Most people in most audiences simply won't care or know the difference and are fine with their level of knowledge.

Would it have been hard to get riveted mail for closeups? Probably not, but why would they bother? Who besides a few thousand (at most) of nerds like us would know or care? Happy

I really have no desire to get back into this thread, as movie discussions generally are not the best use of forum space and give me heartburn to boot. Happy I'll finish by saying:

If people are so incensed by what they see in movies that they simply must discuss it at great length here, then save your breath and typing on this site (where you're basically preaching to the choir and the threads don't solve anything anyway) and do something else about it instead. Educate your friends. Write Hollywood or the movie industry in the country of your origin. Boycott films that bother you. Do something more than gripe on an internet forum. Big Grin Cool

And with that, I'm done. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Henri Chandler

PostPosted: Wed 23 May, 2007 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Unfortunately, we are a small segment of their potential viewership. Most people in most audiences simply won't care or know the difference and are fine with their level of knowledge.

Would it have been hard to get riveted mail for closeups? Probably not, but why would they bother? Who besides a few thousand (at most) of nerds like us would know or care? Happy

I really have no desire to get back into this thread, as movie discussions generally are not the best use of forum space and give me heartburn to boot. Happy I'll finish by saying:

If people are so incensed by what they see in movies that they simply must discuss it at great length here, then save your breath and typing on this site (where you're basically preaching to the choir and the threads don't solve anything anyway) and do something else about it instead. Educate your friends. Write Hollywood or the movie industry in the country of your origin. Boycott films that bother you. Do something more than gripe on an internet forum. Big Grin Cool

And with that, I'm done. Happy

I don't want to argue this again either, I do agree it's pointless, but I want to clarify my position on this a bit (please forgive the temporary thread hijack).

I actually agree with you in many areas, except one: there is a reason i discuss this on internet forums like this one. I try not to gripe about movies just generally to be grumpy, and can appreciate a movie which is totally unrealistic if that is what it's supposed to be. I liked Braveheart, the old original Conan and Highlander movies, even that old Excalibur movie from the 80's. I admit I can get a bit annoyed at some flicks which purport to be realistic or historical and are anything but, though I try not to get too cranky about it.

I can totally see where you are coming from that being fruitlessly cranky like an angry red faced baby shaking his fists is kind of pointless! I don't want to be a killjoy or force my tastes on anybody else.

I'm looking at this in a different way, from experience I'm aware of how asymmetrical influence on popular culture and even Hollywood can be sometimes. I post here and in other forums on this subject now and then because i would like to encourage the development of some kind of unified voice among those of us with some knowledge in this area, that could encourage Hollywood to move toward incorporating some Historical aspects, including fencing techniques, where they are appropriate. Because I think it's a win-win. I believe period accurate kit and techniques look good even if you are not an expert or a fanatic like I am (and i realize that is controversial). i think it's largely a matter of determining where it fits and where it doesn't, but I think HEMA and real arms and armor can be a tool which a Hollywood director could use to enhance their vision.

The whole thing reminds me of an argument I had once with my girlfriend. We were watching this film from the 60's about the Battle of the Bulge. I was disappointed by the use of 60's era U.S. tanks to simulate the German and U.S. tanks of the period. My girlfriend said it wouldn't matter because the average viewer wouldn't have any idea what the difference was. I argued that the German tanks in particular had a sinister aesthetic which would have greatly added to the dramatic impact of the film. She thought I was crazy until she saw Saving Private Ryan, now she agrees with me Happy

Anyway, please forgive me for one last comment to you on this, I'll be glad to send you some Tums for that heart-burn Happy

J

Edit: it's certainly debatable of course but it's striking to me Big Grin :

Also, to get back to the point part of why this movie is so appealing to me is that the equipment and costumes look so realsitic! But maybe the general audience won't like that.

Tom Molin

PostPosted: Thu 24 May, 2007 2:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A new promo reel:
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2007/05/22/501400.html

/Tom
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a practitioner of western martial arts (and a fan of the books) I am interested about the swordfights on the movie. The Art is in a relatively big role in the books so this would be a great chance to see some good stuff on the screen. As there seems to be people on this board who have been involved in the production of the movie, can you tell if there has been any cooperation with the wma community to produce fights that even somehow relate to the reality instead of the regular hollywood bashing?
Axel Pettersson

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 6:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A member of GHFS was part of the making, he was a cavalryman, foot soldier etc, and even Arn's brothers arm on one occasion Happy.

After what I know, the production team was in contact with serious HEMA practitioners here in Sweden, but I do not know how much (or if) they used it to any extent, if I remember correctly (I spoke to one of the guys who did a HEMA presentation for them), they liked what they saw, but thought it was a bit too subtle to make good movie shots of. I couldn't agree less, but I know nothing about movie making on the other hand (and I could also remember incorrectly).
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Axel Pettersson wrote:
A member of GHFS was part of the making, he was a cavalryman, foot soldier etc, and even Arn's brothers arm on one occasion Happy.

After what I know, the production team was in contact with serious HEMA practitioners here in Sweden, but I do not know how much (or if) they used it to any extent, if I remember correctly (I spoke to one of the guys who did a HEMA presentation for them), they liked what they saw, but thought it was a bit too subtle to make good movie shots of. I couldn't agree less, but I know nothing about movie making on the other hand (and I could also remember incorrectly).

I heard they talked to Nils Erik Fahlvik once the top dog in ARMA Sweden

Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Axel Pettersson

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Molin wrote:
New pictures!
Back in Sweden:

/Tom

Actually, that looks alot like Christian from GHFS, the guy to the left with the red beard.
Risto Rautiainen

Reading list: 10 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 May, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Axel Pettersson wrote:

Man, that's good news! Even if they don't make it to look completely historical at least that's the best effort I've seen so far in the movie industry.
Tom Molin

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 7:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The first movie (of two) has it's Swedish premiere on Christmas day 25/12
Movie homepage: http://www.arnmovie.com/

A 3 minute battle clip are available here:
http://tv4.se/player/categories.aspx?EnableVo...mp;framed=

/Tom
Ken Speed

PostPosted: Tue 11 Dec, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

Someone mentioned books. Does anyone know if the books are available in English?

Thanks,

Ken
Tom Molin

PostPosted: Wed 12 Dec, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is the Wikipedia page about "The Knight Templar" or "Crusades trilogy"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knight_Templ...trilogy%29

You can find the English names and ISDN number there.
Don't know where you can buy them??

/Tom
Patrik Erik Lars Lindblom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Happy If anyone have problem to watch that 22min long clip "behind scen" (bakom kuliserna)
so can you download it, Here! ca172mb WMV Right click & save as on this link
they speak Swedish and some English, its allot to look at in there, i like that horse who seems like to die Cool

Frid o Fröjd!
Patrik
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 14 Dec, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tom Molin wrote:
Here is the Wikipedia page about "The Knight Templar" or "Crusades trilogy"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Knight_Templ...trilogy%29

You can find the English names and ISDN number there.
Don't know where you can buy them??

/Tom

Amazon.com, accessible through our Bookstore, sells them. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sat 23 Oct, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just bought the DVD " ARN, The Knight Templar, Le Chevalier du Temple ", up here in Montréal Canada, so I assume that it is also available in the U.S.A. at the moment.

English and French soundtracks.

Might watch it tonignt or at least very soon. Wink

Just thought some of you might want to know.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knightly Movie
Page 5 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: