Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knightly Movie Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 
Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I bought the film and really enjoyed it. Little did I know at the time that apparently the "International or American" version is really dumbed-down for us illiterate Americans. The original tv series and two movies in Europe was about five hours. The DVD is only 2 hours, and right now there are no plans for a "director's cut." Still worth owning and watching, but realize that you'll be missing about three hours of footage.
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Anthony wrote:
I bought the film and really enjoyed it. Little did I know at the time that apparently the "International or American" version is really dumbed-down for us illiterate Americans. The original tv series and two movies in Europe was about five hours. The DVD is only 2 hours, and right now there are no plans for a "director's cut." Still worth owning and watching, but realize that you'll be missing about three hours of footage.

Well, it does work as a 2 hour movie but I'm sure that there is a lot of interesting back story that the 5 hour version would make buying also if and when it comes out.

Watched it last night and I was very enjoyable.

I'm sure that someone who wanted to dissect the fight scenes frame by frame might find something to criticize but the fight where enjoyable as Arn just owns the bad guy in the duel by just dominating distance and measure and mostly just not being where the other guy's sword end up being. Much more realistic and shows better his much higher level of skill than an extended duel with all the Hollywood clichés of clanking parries and face to face snarling for no good reason.

Arn also fights with his brain with a cold anger that doesn't cloud judgement. From just the movie I assume that although trained from childhood by a true master that this was his first real fight against someone really trying to kill him or where he would probably have to consider killing the other ? In the extended 5 hours we might have seen more of his training but I assume that any previous real fighting would not be something that would have been left out of the 2 hour version ? The Hollywood influenced 2 hour version wouldn't have probably left out an exciting fight but might have left out or compressed a lot of the training or back story I am guessing and assuming.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 2:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First fight in a full version is Arn killing some guys hunting a run-away bride and who tought Arn stole the bride.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
First fight in a full version is Arn killing some guys hunting a run-away bride and who tought Arn stole the bride.

Thanks for the information and it does change the way I see the fight in the duel as it's always different to be an untested in a real first fight than it is if one has sort of lost one's fighting " virginity " one might say. Wink Laughing Out Loud In the 2 hour version, and not knowing about the previous fight he just seemed too sure of himself, but now I could just see it as someone so well trained that it is obvious to him after the first few " misses " by his opponent that he completely overmatched him in skills and that he was already a proven warrior at least in his mind, so that killing him wasn't necessary to win the fight or to stay alive.

( Oooops, sorry don't want to give out too many spoilers by getting into exactly how the fight ended, but since it's at the beginning of the movie it's fairly obvious that Arn had to win or at least not die. Wink Laughing Out Loud ).

So Arn's confidence is not only based on the decade or more of training but in the confidence that comes from having had use those skills and know that one will not freeze up or be too afraid to fight or too squeamish to kill if one has no choice but to kill.

Note that Arn does seem reluctant to kill without reason.

Oh, in the original version do they show some signs that in his first fight he wasn't yet confident or 100% sure that he could apply his real skills to a real situation ? No matter how well trained that first fight is also an internal fight with one's emotions as much as a fight against someone trying to kill you.

Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you watch the extras included with the dvd you'll see whole scenes, characters (Arn's best friend who didn't make the cut), etc, mentioned that are not in the 2 hour version. It gives you an idea what's probably missing, which IMHO is quite a bit.
"...He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one." - Jesus, Luke 22:36
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Anthony wrote:
If you watch the extras included with the dvd you'll see whole scenes, characters (Arn's best friend who didn't make the cut), etc, mentioned that are not in the 2 hour version. It gives you an idea what's probably missing, which IMHO is quite a bit.

Good to know as I haven't yet watched the extras. Happy Cool

Now I really want the 5 hour version and I wouldn't mind it in Swedish and with just subtitles as there are already lots of subtitled bits in Arabic, Swedish and French as well as the spoken in English parts.

Joshua Anthony

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As far as I know a Swedish dvd would not work in a North American dvd players, so we may be outta luck. Hrmph.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good to hear that the essence of that first fight scene does translate to the film without previous knowledge of the books.
As you read that scene a very important aspect is how Arn realizes that these clumsy flailing blows that are aimed at him are actually the best his opponent is capable of (his adversary might also be a bit drunk?). Arn is schooled into analyzing the situation and trained to judge the proper response to different attitudes/strategies. It is no difficulty for him to read his opponent despite the fact he is yet unproven as a fighter. His adversaries live according to the rule that raw strength is might and power. Arn therefore feels heavy guilt to have killed such an unmatched opponent, even though being younger and smaller in stature than the man (men) he killed.

That is perhaps the main theme of the book: mind vs brute force.

The film made it to the top ten list in the United Kingdom on third place (after Robin Hood and Prince of Persia).
There might therefore be a chance that a 2X100 minutes version of the film makes the international market as DVD. This follow up version will include much more of the material: "all the good stuff" as Peter Flinth the director says.[/i]
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Amazon sells a Zone 1 (US & Canada) version, so people on this side of the pond will be able to see it.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chris Artman

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have ARN sitting here on Blu Ray (from Amazon). Look forward to watching it.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sun 24 Oct, 2010 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:
Good to hear that the essence of that first fight scene does translate to the film without previous knowledge of the books.
As you read that scene a very important aspect is how Arn realizes that these clumsy flailing blows that are aimed at him are actually the best his opponent is capable of (his adversary might also be a bit drunk?). Arn is schooled into analyzing the situation and trained to judge the proper response to different attitudes/strategies. It is no difficulty for him to read his opponent despite the fact he is yet unproven as a fighter. His adversaries live according to the rule that raw strength is might and power. Arn therefore feels heavy guilt to have killed such an unmatched opponent, even though being younger and smaller in stature than the man (men) he killed.

That is perhaps the main theme of the book: mind vs brute force.

I'm really pleased and flattered that my read of the scene matches the intent of the action in the books where we probably get a lot more information about what is going through Arns mind.

I guess I interpret your words partly as my having enough practice to understand this but also the filmaker/director and actor made those actions fairly clear, at least to me obvious, but that is a good thing.

The film sure does make wanting a similar sword appealing and by chance one is at this time available at Kult of Athena:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...plar+Sword

Well a little " plug " for KoA, Albion and for you as the designer. Wink Big Grin Cool ( One must do one's best to keep all of these companies in business during this economy. Wink Razz Laughing Out Loud If you want this one think fast and act fast before I get to it first if I starts thinking about buying it too much. Wink ).

Again nice work on designing this sword Peter as well as the Ulvbane sword:
http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=...bane+Sword

And directly from Albion:
http://filmswords.com/arn/arn.htm

Tim Ormsby

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 2:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joshua Anthony wrote:

I hired out the international version and I gotta say it was very confusing. Would love to see the whole thing one day but the cut down version cuts far too much out. Some bits dont make any sense (eg why one guy yells out "NORWAY!!!" at the final battle scene where there has not been a single mention of Norway the whole way through the film).
Martin Wallgren

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 28 Oct, 2010 5:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Ormsby wrote:
Joshua Anthony wrote:

I hired out the international version and I gotta say it was very confusing. Would love to see the whole thing one day but the cut down version cuts far too much out. Some bits dont make any sense (eg why one guy yells out "NORWAY!!!" at the final battle scene where there has not been a single mention of Norway the whole way through the film).

He is obviously Norwegian for us scands. He speaks norweigan all the time. All the others speak Swedish and that´s the reason. Do for us it´s no confusion but I understand your confustion if you don´t speak a scandinavian language.

Swordsman, Archer and Dad

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Knightly Movie
Page 6 of 6 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: