Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords as gifts Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Late to the discussion, but I'm sure for my wife and family it would be an issue of cost and concern about buying the wrong thing. They don't share my interest, so to them a sword is a sword. I suffer from the same thing. To me, cosmetics are cosmetics for example. For my wife, well, she is allegic to some, does not like the colors of others but I can't tell difference between any of them.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Late to the discussion, but I'm sure for my wife and family it would be an issue of cost and concern about buying the wrong thing. They don't share my interest, so to them a sword is a sword. I suffer from the same thing. To me, cosmetics are cosmetics for example. For my wife, well, she is allegic to some, does not like the colors of others but I can't tell difference between any of them.

That's an excellent comparison Joe. My wife will shop for what seems like hours, at least to me, for things like make-up. It just all looks the same to me, and to her a sword is just a sword. She knows that I'm very particular about these things so she never attempts to buy a sword for me as a suprise.

Since we're all very particular in our tastes I think friends and family are much better of giving money in lieu of a sword. That way everyone wins.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Stokes

PostPosted: Fri 05 Dec, 2003 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Money, as said, is the biggest factor, but if the gift certifricate idea is out there..........

usually me (and my group of friends) sorta all pitch in to get ONE gift for whoevers birthday it is........ so if a group of people where to price the swords, and get a group gift certifricate together....... that would work, but I dont have any friends willing to drop $500+ on a present for me.......... maybe im hanging with the wrong bunch....

as far as girlfriend,. I sorta have this unspoken limit set at about $100-$150 both ways........ but we havent even been dating a year..... prehaps older couples with more cash flow find this easier to do.

When i was Younger my parents have bought me swords, but as said above where wallhangers.

I sorta see it as a personal thing, best to be bought by the owner
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Sun 07 Dec, 2003 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
Hey Taylor, just out of curiousity what does the Ellis crest that you have look like? What sort of research did you do to determine that it was your family crest?

I looked it up on some webpage that I can't remember the address of, as well as one of those admittedly hokey heraldry shops you see in many shooping centres. They were the same, so I thought it was probably pretty accurate. It's a yellow shield with a black cross and some cresent shaped things too. Sorry to be so vague, but it's six months since I've looked at it. In any case, it looks cool, so neither of us are too worried if it isn't that accurate. Happy
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 08 Dec, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gotcha, yes I've seen that one as well. There's another floating about the net with some scallop shells on it as well. I don't know that I can claim either of them though. I need to do some more geneology work. I also don't recall but was a crest necessarily hereditary? I can't remember.
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 15 Dec, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maybe these things go in cycles. But as of today, the last of 18 rush orders, over and above the ussual orders, went out over the last three weeks. Over and above the ussual stuff....

We're now at a point though, that unless its in stock, we no longer have time to get it out in time for Xmas.

I cannot speak for the bigger guys, but an 18 sword increase over a three week period is a bit of a push.......

swords are fun
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 20 Dec, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well this is what it looks like when some one does get one as a present ( Harlan Hastings getting a tanto forged by
Jason Dingledine for Christmas) .

Attachment: 31.79 KB
HarlanHastings.JPG

Amy Christensen-Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 8:46 am    Post subject: Harlan and gifts         Reply with quote

Harlan -- where's your hair? Question You have freaked all of us out over here... Renee and I were debating whether this photo was from a few years ago or not, but then realized Jason wasn't making tantos a few years ago - and your hair couldn't have grown as long as we know it in a short time... so you must have cut your hair. It looks nice -- but it shocked us! Eek! Surprised

Re: the gift issue -- we agree that buying a sword is a very personal thing. I know I would never assume that I could buy Howy a sword. I tried 3 months after we met as a birthday gift, but before I actually bought it I figured best to send him a photo of it before I forked over several hundred dollars for the thing. And it's a good thing I did. Worried But I was new to the sword world at the time, and figured anyone would love a nice looking sword. I didn't yet understand the degrees of quality. Howy agreed it was nice looking, so I learned we had the same taste, but it wasn't of the quality he'd want for his collection. And he found a very nice way of telling me that.

Other than the occasional wife, and a couple of girlfriends a year, we normally have people call to say that they're buying a gift for themselves. "Thank me very much" gifts, if you will. This happens for most holidays, and for birthdays and weddings. I guess what we were wondering is how many people tell others that there is a sword or piece of armor that they want, and direct them to it so that it can be purchased for a gift-faring holiday. Just curious, both on a personal and a "gift registry" level.

I just love Christmas... Big Grin

Amy Waddell
President/CEO
Albion Swords Limited, LLC

I wrote to the FBI to see if they had a file on me. They wrote back, "we do now..."
Trevor S.

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

i think one of the problems w/ getting some else a sword is people like too many different things and it is hard to get just the right sword for some one.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less
than half of you half as well as you deserve. ---Bilbo Baggins
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 22 Dec, 2003 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Registry or wish list might help.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Swords as gifts
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: