myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DVD on cutting Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: DVD on cutting         Reply with quote

As some of you may, or may not, know, I've done two videos for Paladin Press. The first was a general talk on swords, the other was on the use of the Viking Sword. The first video was OK, but the second one was too rushed in my opinion. I had no time to set up the fighting sequences, nor to get the information to flow like I would have preferred. Now I am thinking of doing a DVD on my own. This would be on cutting, how to cut, what to cut, practicing the cut, how to do it safely, what swords can do and what they can't do. This seems to be a well versed group, so I would like some feed back on what you think people would like to see in a DVD. Some of this I have already covered in the book I am writing, but a book will not show some of things that I feel are important. And anyway, it will be fun to do, I can do some more experimenting and take it off my income tax, and who knows, I might even be able sell some. So I would appreciate hearing some thoughts on this.
Hank Reinhardt
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank-

I'm aware of the videos, but have not had the opportunity to view either. It's been discussed in other threads, however, and many times in private conversations between my comrades and me that seeing motion rather than even the best sequences of photos is highly valuable in the study of swordsmanship.

The concept has merit, and I'd encourage the effort. Speaking generally rather than specifically to you, as long as the video presented accurate material in an historical way (as opposed to videotaping kids Nerf Fencing in the back yard - fun, but useless in serious study).

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sounds like a great idea. One thing that I would like to suggest up front is a strong emphasis on basic safety, which I'm quite sure you'll probably to all the same.

With the gatherings I've hosted at my home, this is something that I try to promote heavily.

Cheers,
Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank, if you don't mind me asking, are the techniques you show in your dvds derived from historical sources or from modern reenactment experiences?

Cheers. Happy
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: DVD on cutting         Reply with quote

Since the DVD I'm planning is on how to cut, there are no historical sources for that other than some of the Japanese martial arts. Its like driving a hammer, most people never learn how, and many of those who use them a great deal can drive a nail in one or two blows. I also intend to do some stuff on what swords can and can't cut. Now there are several people that I would like to arm with mail and hack on, but the police seem to have some strange aversion to scientic testing, so I will have to use pork quarters, etc. If I do another on fighting, it will be on what works. I trust the manuals about as much as I trust modern martial arts manuals to help me out in a street fight. Reenactment people are busy trying not to kill their enemy, the SCA has all sorts of rules. Real life was quite different. Sometime soon will post on sparring again.
Hank Reinhardt
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD on cutting         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
Since the DVD I'm planning is on how to cut, there are no historical sources for that other than some of the Japanese martial arts. Its like driving a hammer, most people never learn how, and many of those who use them a great deal can drive a nail in one or two blows. I also intend to do some stuff on what swords can and can't cut. Now there are several people that I would like to arm with mail and hack on, but the police seem to have some strange aversion to scientic testing, so I will have to use pork quarters, etc. .

Sorry mate, I was talking about your viking sword & shield dvd, not the cutting one. Should have emphasized that.

Quote:
If I do another on fighting, it will be on what works. I trust the manuals about as much as I trust modern martial arts manuals to help me out in a street fight. Reenactment people are busy trying not to kill their enemy, the SCA has all sorts of rules. Real life was quite different. Sometime soon will post on sparring again.

You have real life fencing experience?
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here’s an interesting idea:

Proper blade alignment and importance of follow - through could be shown with a slow-motion videos (recorded with special high speed cameras), and it would be great to actually see (not just feel) how blade reacts at "unclean" cuts. I know from my experience that there can be quite a lot of dramatic flexing and vibrations, but you often don't see it, because it happens so quickly.

And I’m looking forward to the video, there can never be enough of this stuff. Happy

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I thoroughly agree with Blaz. Any frame by frame analysis would be invaluable. If budget permits I'd love to see it.
There are only two kinds of scholars; those who love ideas and those who hate them. ~ Emile Chartier
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Are the pork quarters going to be armored? I think that would be interesting
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: DVD on cutting         Reply with quote

Right now the plan is to cut some pig shoulder roast both bare and covered with mail, gambeson, etc.am also planning on cutting some pork quarters, and this will be covered in mail. Pork quarters will also be covered in mail, but a lot of it depends on cost. I'm doing this myself, so money is an object....Not sure if I can do the slow motion, but will check it out. However I am not in favor of deliberately hitting wrong, as it can tear up a sword.. (My personal opinion is that inthe Viking Sagas, when they refer to a sword that wouldn't bite, I have a suspicion that the blade was out of line with the hilt or that someone was hitting wrong.
Hank Reinhardt
Cole Sibley

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Something that I might like to see in such a video (besides the cutting, which is very interesting) would be various swords. By 'see' I mean a close visual inspection with as much background information as is possible to give. Historic pieces would be wonderful, even if they weren't used for the cutting, but production/custom pieces would also be very interesting to get 'close-up and personal' with.
M. Taylor

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 12:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Perhaps you could use plastic milk jugs or soda bottles for the 'botched cut' shots. I don't think they'd do a number on a blade. The high-speed camera approach (for good and bad cuts) could be very instructive. I was curious about this a few months ago and made some local inquiries about getting my hands on high-speed video equipment, but no luck.
"Only people not able to grow tall from their own efforts and achievements seek to subdue their fellow man."
"Only people not being able to find comfort in their own mind seek to silence others. " - Per Bylund
Blaz Berlec

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DVD on cutting         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
Right now the plan is to cut some pig shoulder roast both bare and covered with mail, gambeson, etc.am also planning on cutting some pork quarters, and this will be covered in mail. Pork quarters will also be covered in mail, but a lot of it depends on cost. I'm doing this myself, so money is an object....Not sure if I can do the slow motion, but will check it out. However I am not in favor of deliberately hitting wrong, as it can tear up a sword.. (My personal opinion is that inthe Viking Sagas, when they refer to a sword that wouldn't bite, I have a suspicion that the blade was out of line with the hilt or that someone was hitting wrong.

Of course deliberately hitting a hard object such as armoured pork quarters with unaligned edges could be a bit too dangerous - to the sword and to the wielder. I was thinking of something more forgiving like wet rolled tatami mats or even vegetables. It would present enough resistance so the blade reaction should be quite visible.

As to the cost of high speed footage - I am not an expert on this subject, but I don't think you need state of the art high speed cameras (which can shoot several 1000 images per second instead ordinary 25 or 30). Sword blade is a fairly large thing and cannot vibrate or move very fast (compared to bullets and explosions). And you would only need several seconds’ worth of filming at slow motion speeds which are used for sports. I guess it shouldn't be too much, but I'm known for my wrong guesses. Big Grin

Extant 15th Century German Gothic Armour
Extant 15th century Milanese armour
Arming doublet of the 15th century

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > DVD on cutting
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic