Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > General Polearm Discussion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Mon 26 Dec, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think they're made out of popular or white pine....can't remember Eek!
May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Charles G.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Austrian Masterpiece         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
To be honest I've never seen a picture that I recall of the "Austrian Masterpiece" I think it was more of a production sword that was marketed with that name here in the United States. I'm sure someone will point one out at some point here.

I have one in my personal collection (indeed, it was the first sword I ever bought for myself, back in 1988 or '89, I think), I shall try to get a picture of it posted later.

Basically, it is a simple two edged long- or war- sword blade of vaguely diamond cross-section, with a long, simple, slightly downturned, round cross-section iron/steel guard that swells a bit at the ends. The grip is wood, with iron/steel ferrules on either end, and its topped off with a round scent stopper style pommel. The overall length is right around 48"

It's a very nice piece, though at 4-3/4 lbs a bit heavy for its length - it should have been made either a foot longer or 1 lb lighter, IMHO.

Mine now hangs on the left side of my fireplace, opposite my A&A German Bastard Sword.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Charles, I would love to see it.
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Austrian Masterpiece was handmade by Johan Schmidtberger in Ulm, Austria. There were completely hand done and hand forged in a smithy that dated to the 14th century. I watrched him make a couple of them. There are probalby the most accurate in steel of any of the swords were ever did. I also felt that they were a little heavy, and they cost us a bundle to get them and fly them over. Just thought you might want to know., Hank
Hank Reinhardt
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hank Reinhardt wrote:
The Austrian Masterpiece was handmade by Johan Schmidtberger in Ulm, Austria. There were completely hand done and hand forged in a smithy that dated to the 14th century. I watrched him make a couple of them. There are probalby the most accurate in steel of any of the swords were ever did. I also felt that they were a little heavy, and they cost us a bundle to get them and fly them over. Just thought you might want to know., Hank

Great insight, thanks Hank.
Charles G.

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Other Schmidberger offerings         Reply with quote

In addition to the Austrian Masterpiece, Johann produced several other swords and miscellanious items. Going from memory he also made:
- A "Hand and a Half" sword with wire wrapped grip and a beautiful octagonal pommel
- a pretty accurate looking katzbalger, based on as near as I can tell an original example I recall seeing in "Europaischen Hieb- und Stichwaffen". Even as the double narrow fullers of the original.
- a two handed sword with an "S" shaped katzbalger hilt. Bit plainer than some of Johann's other swords
- an early middle ages or late Viking age sword
- some other middle age sword I can't recall the details of off hand
- Various pieces of 16th century helmets and half armors, usually of a "landsknecht" style
- Also some miscellanious items, such as medieval style "strongboxes", ironbound, and complete with the intricate locking mechanisms found on the originals.

Looking back, I really, really, really wish I had possessed an extra $2-$3K back in the day. There are a LOT of these things I wish I could have gotten. I particularly kick myself over the Hand and a Half - in retrospect I like the look much more than the Austrian Masterpiece. Nowadays, with my recently found interest in Landsknechts, I REALLY would have wanted that katzbalger, too.

Curiously, even the strongboxes he made have attracted my interest recently, something I didn't look all that closely at when I was younger.

Note that if anyone has one of the above (in particular the katz, Hand and Half, and strongboxes) and would be willing to part with them please drop me a line.
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Apr, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I kept a Kaltzbager and also got me a small strong box, 7x10x5 or close to it. Damn things were quite expensive! I haven't planned on selling any of them, but in the near future I might. If so will let you know. I broght the an axe, and two swords back with me, and ended up having to carry them from one of Kennedy to the other, having missed the shuttle....talk about worn out, and I was a young man in my 50's!. I wanted one of the large strong boxes, but his price and the shipping to the States would have cost as much as a small car....Hank
Hank Reinhardt
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric Nower wrote:
I think they're made out of popular or white pine....can't remember Eek!

White wood is an American wood industry name for poplar. Odd name for wood that so much of it is a yellowish brown or has green streaks through it. Razz I understand that poplar is almost considered a weed in some of your central states because it grows so fast, everywhere.

IMHO, poplar, being a relative of the lime or linden family, is great for shields. I really wouldn't have much confidence in it for a polearm. Ash or fine grained hickory (pecan hickory?) would survive longer in use.
Hank Reinhardt
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In the last post I forgot tomention that I also ended up with a huge two hand bearing sword as well as 4 pole arsm of Schmidtbergers. All quite nice, and all quite expensive.
Poplar is a much tougher wood than you might think. Although ash was favored, oak, beech and even pine was used at times. I've shaped some poplar and used it on some pole arms, and have chopped into some trees with it, hitting very hard, and haven't had it break. I would still prefer ash, but if you can't get it, you take what you can. For a spear it works very well.
Hank

Hank Reinhardt
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Other Schmidberger offerings         Reply with quote

Charles G. wrote:
In addition to the Austrian Masterpiece, Johann produced several other swords and miscellanious items. Going from memory he also made:
- A "Hand and a Half" sword with wire wrapped grip and a beautiful octagonal pommel
- a pretty accurate looking katzbalger, based on as near as I can tell an original example I recall seeing in "Europaischen Hieb- und Stichwaffen". Even as the double narrow fullers of the original.
- a two handed sword with an "S" shaped katzbalger hilt. Bit plainer than some of Johann's other swords
- an early middle ages or late Viking age sword
- some other middle age sword I can't recall the details of off hand
- Various pieces of 16th century helmets and half armors, usually of a "landsknecht" style
- Also some miscellanious items, such as medieval style "strongboxes", ironbound, and complete with the intricate locking mechanisms found on the originals.

Looking back, I really, really, really wish I had possessed an extra $2-$3K back in the day. There are a LOT of these things I wish I could have gotten. I particularly kick myself over the Hand and a Half - in retrospect I like the look much more than the Austrian Masterpiece. Nowadays, with my recently found interest in Landsknechts, I REALLY would have wanted that katzbalger, too.

Curiously, even the strongboxes he made have attracted my interest recently, something I didn't look all that closely at when I was younger.

Note that if anyone has one of the above (in particular the katz, Hand and Half, and strongboxes) and would be willing to part with them please drop me a line.

Hmmm this one maybe?

Maybe this katzbalger...

Found these strongboxes too...

Maybe you can still get some of this stuff... Here is his site:

http://www.gindat.at/wse/schmidberger/indexx.htm
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I only have two poles, and both I bought in person. What does the shipping on these items usually run, more or less relative to distance and relative to the overall length of the item? (Obviously a pike would cost more then a pole hammer to ship.)
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Charles G.

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Yeah, that's it...         Reply with quote

... pretty much, anyway. The hand & a half is a bit different, though. Originally they had wire wrapped grips and an octagonal cross-section to the guard.

I've been to his new site before, but I am a bit unsure how to place an order! Guess I'll have to brush up on my German.
Bryce Felperin

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like that 2,400 Euro Dolch mit Glasstein dagger! For over 3k USD that's a lot of dagger to have, but I'm sure it would be worth having. It's on my list if I win the Lottery. ;-)
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 13 Apr, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Yeah, that's it...         Reply with quote

Charles G. wrote:
... pretty much, anyway. The hand & a half is a bit different, though. Originally they had wire wrapped grips and an octagonal cross-section to the guard.

I've been to his new site before, but I am a bit unsure how to place an order! Guess I'll have to brush up on my German.

Lol, yes I ran into the same thing myself just recently with another smith. My german sucks...
Kertész Miklós József

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a question, and I think this is the best place for it.

I have seen several short pole-axes with a a lower rondell guard.
What is it made of? How do they fix it on the haft?
Have anyone seen one in person?
[/img]

Attachment: 123.85 KB
trajan_pollaxes_957.jpg

Attachment: 89.03 KB
war_hammer_883.jpg

Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 5:51 pm    Post subject: Discs         Reply with quote

Hi Kertész

These are usually steel rondels that are affixed by pressure or having small braces riveted to the disc and then nailed to the haft. There is some supposition that they may have used thick leather as well but I am unaware of any mention or surviving example of such.

Best
Craig
Kertész Miklós József

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2011 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Discs         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
Hi Kertész

These are usually steel rondels that are affixed by pressure or having small braces riveted to the disc and then nailed to the haft. There is some supposition that they may have used thick leather as well but I am unaware of any mention or surviving example of such.

Best
Craig

Thank you for the answer, but I think you meant the larger one, closer to the head of the weapon. The small, thick one closer to the end of the haft does not look metallic. Maybe it's made out of wood and/or covered with leather.
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Fri 28 Feb, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi all,
I was browsing through thee Album section (I do that every now and again, a quite underrated resource on this site)
And one of the items that I have take a shine to, is this polearm:

The image info does not say if it is an auction antique or museum piece, nor where it was located at the time picture was taken.

Anyone with a copy of "Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe" if there are something like it listed in there?
Or by chance recognize the type and what cultural setting and timeperiod it could be from? My hunch is german-speaking part of Europe, late 16th century, or possibly even later.

Or could it even be a 19th century historismus piece? The design seem somehow counter-intuitive, why have the protrusions halfway up such a long head? All metal below the extended blades are more or less waste, but are still formed to hold an edge? Seems odd.

It is however a lovely piece, and I'm thinking of having a repro made.

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Bjorn Hagstrom

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A little bump of this thread. I still have no idea of the origins or time-frame of the above piece is..but nevertheless I have commissioned a replica of it from Arma Bohemia and will soon be expecting delivery Happy

I will post pics when I reveive it. But anyone have an idea of exactly what I am adding to my ever expanding pole-arm collection?

There is nothing quite as sad as a one man conga-line...
Timo Nieminen

PostPosted: Wed 23 Apr, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bjorn Hagstrom wrote:

Anyone with a copy of "Hafted Weapons in Medieval and Renaissance Europe" if there are something like it listed in there?
Or by chance recognize the type and what cultural setting and timeperiod it could be from? My hunch is german-speaking part of Europe, late 16th century, or possibly even later.

Nothing like this in Waldman that I saw. I haven't seen anything like this except for one being sold on ebay. Looks like a mutant partisan.

"In addition to being efficient, all pole arms were quite nice to look at." - Cherney Berg, A hideous history of weapons, Collier 1963.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > General Polearm Discussion
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: