Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weekend visit in Solingen Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Ralph Rudolph

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: Weekend visit in Solingen         Reply with quote

Hi folks,
I spent some hours in the Solingen Blade Museum (Klingenmuseum) yesterday and like to share my experience with you experts.

Despite severe snow problems in the area (2 days electricity failure) I reached it (see pic) and was completely overwhelmed. I had the chance to see the Peter Johnsson Solingen replica of Albion's Museum line (see second pic).

Wow.

This broke all barriers - I will go for my first Albion sword as soon as my account allows it.
Right beside Peter's sword there are three others (see last pic).

And here is a little quiz for you guys: which Oakeshott sword type do you assign those three? Eek!
For info: the brasil-nut pommel is from northern Italy, 12th century. The orange-slice pommel from Germany, 12th-13th century, the disc pommel sword from 1280.

As a novice I had my go on it, but would like to get your opinions Razz
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Weekend visit in Solingen         Reply with quote

Thanks for the photos, Ralph, and welcome to myArmoury.com.

Ralph Rudolph wrote:
...I had the chance to see the Peter Johnsson Solingen replica of Albion's Museum line (see second pic).
That piece is a beauty. However, to clarify, the Peter Johnsson Solingen replica is a "one-off" hand made piece. The Albion Museum Line offering is a (very high-end) production item - I suppose that you could call Peter's piece the prototype for the Museum Line piece?

Ralph Rudolph wrote:
...Right beside Peter's sword there are three others (see last pic).

And here is a little quiz for you guys: which Oakeshott sword type do you assign those three? Eek!...
Those are fine looking specimens. However, I can't make out the fullers in the photos. The configuration of the fuller (if present) is a key feature in Oakeshott's typology.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Ralph Rudolph

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve,

I inspected the photos very carefully - there are no fullers.
For type I'd say something between X and XII - but as you say, the fuller length and width were very helpful...
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, looking at the blades on the left and in the middle, I think that I may see something in each that could be a fuller - but my eyes may be playing tricks. Both of these blades have profiles that could potentially fit anywhere from Type X to Type XII.

The blade on the left, with the somewhat spatulate tip makes me think "Type X". However, if there truly is no fuller...? On the other hand, the fuller on a Type X tends to be broad, and run nearly the whole length of the blade, and is sometimes very shallow. It could be that the fuller is present, just hard to see?

The middle blade is thinner in profile with an acute point. This tends to make me think Type XI, but this type typically has a "...very narrow fuller running to within a few inches of the point", according to Oakeshott in Records of the Medieval Sword. Perhaps a Type XII if the fuller is 1/2 to 3/4 the length of the blade?

The sword on the right is tough for me to type. Again, thin in profile and acute point. However, I get no sense at all of the cross-section of the blade (lenticular? flattened diamond? hexagonal?). Could be a XII, could even be an XVIII? I dunno. Laughing Out Loud

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Ralph Rudolph

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 12:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve, I would attribute the leftmost sword a type X, just assuming that the fuller is very shallow and eroded away. And it has the 'lazy D' shaped pommel Oakeshott describes.

The middle sword I would put into XIIa, because it tapers and has an acute point. It is too young for XI (which Oakeshott dates 1100 - 1175) and lacks the inscriptions (well, they might be eroded). It's too old for XIII, and anyway does not fit the broad, allmost parallel, XIII blade form. So XII seems all right, and XIIa would match its stretched appearance. You find example XIIa.4 (also no fuller), or, I must admit, example XII.9 comes pretty close. Somewhat between XII and XII.a.

The last sword, actually also looks XII-ish to me. Compare XII.12, XII.7 or XII.8.

Well - we shall never really know. But thanks for your participation! Happy

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Weekend visit in Solingen
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic