Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who likes Kettle Hats & How popular were they ? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chuck Russell wrote:
http://clang.adkinssoftware.com/hist%20helm/war%20hat%2014th%20C%2001.html

i buddy of mine's site. he was told that it was almost perfect for 14thc by labelle's specs.

That is what a quality repro kettle ought to look like.

I love Clang's work.

I've also found Bestarmor to be a reliable supplier of good-quality helms at decent prices. I've purchased at least a half dozen from them. (Their liners and buckles need work, though! Wink ) A friend has taken delivery of most of a full custom suit, except for the legs, which he is getting finished in-person when he'll be traveling through the Czech Republic in a couple of months.
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The bestarmor 5,000 CZK kettles are $203 US. Add bank transfer fees and shipping (which really isn't too much more than the cost of shipping in the US) and it's probably $250.

Currency converter: www.xe.com
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Jeff: These do look good and like I said it's mostly just being a " Virgin " when it comes to dealing with overseas purchases. Like anything, it's mostly just doing it the first time. Big Grin

The Canada Customs situation might be a bit different from buying from the U.S.A. were there are no custom duties but where we do have to pay sales taxes: With other countries not subject to the free trade agreement that exist between the U.S.A. and Canada there might be a steep duty to pay. What does help though is that the prices look very affordable, so even an extra 50% in cost would still be worth it. ( Just general info that might be useful to other Canadians and F.Y.I. )

In, any case if I see something I really want these minor issues are not going to stop me. Laughing Out Loud

In the meantime that site has some seriously attractive eye candy. Cool

Oh, and thank for the link to the currency converter: 5,000 something is scrary when one has no clue what it would be in
" Canadian Dollars ". ( Hope it works on a MAC )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Jeff Johnson

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 10:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Thanks Jeff: These do look good and like I said it's mostly just being a " Virgin " when it comes to dealing with overseas purchases. Like anything, it's mostly just doing it the first time. Big Grin

Understood that it might be daunting, it's not like you are dealing with some yahoos in Scamgeria, though. The Czech Republic has a pretty solid economy and banking system. The company is as reliable (moreso, I'd say) than anyplace I've sent money to in the US. I have some horror stories about an American Smith, but such extreme negative reviews are likely to tick our host off. Wink

The transfer process part ought be relatively easy. Here's the how to transfer to almost any country from the US. I can't imagine it being too different for Canada:

- The person to receive the transfer provides you with the name, address, and routing number of his bank, along with his name and the account number to send the funds to.

- You call or visit your bank and tell them that you need to do an overseas money transfer. (terminology may vary) You provide them with the information on a signed request to do the transfer (I FAXed mine), and pay whatever fee they charge ($25 at my bank).

The transfer generally goes through in a few days, straight from your account to theirs.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff;

Thanks again, not having to deal with an unknown vendor in Scammistan and sending credit card info into the void is reassuring.

Nothing beats a personal referal.

And thanks for the details about these kind of tranfers: Useful info for everyone here who not done so before.

Since i have a couple of expensive custom commissions in the pipe line this will have to wait until next year or until I can't resist anymore after looking at their stuff on a "daily " basis. Wink Laughing Out Loud

Again very useful info. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 11:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff wrote:
I have some horror stories about an American Smith, but such extreme negative reviews are likely to tick our host off.

Stow that crap right now Jeff. If it's an attempt at humor it's one of the lamest I've seen in some time.

Reviews, good and bad, have been and always will be welcome here. This information is important to the community and as long as it's presented in a mature manner it's perfectly appropriate for this venue.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Nov, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wolfgang Armbruster wrote:
If I had the money I would have bought this one Big Grin

http://www.hermann-historica.de/auktion/hhm47...at47_2.txt

clang armoury, eric dube and a few others i have seen make this helm
Halvor Hjort Guttu

PostPosted: Sat 17 Dec, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Norwegian-style kettlehats         Reply with quote

Judging from the number of surviving norwegian kettlehats, they were either immensely popular or norwegians are a bunch of hoarding bastards who can't let anything go, no matter how old it is.

Now, there are eight more or less identical kettlehats, with the same construction and with a distribution that covers most of Norway. Common for them is that the edges of the "cross-plate" are thickened, to give the impression of immensely thick plate (the brim of one of the hats are 11 mm thick). But they are not very heavy.

Halvor

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Who likes Kettle Hats & How popular were they ?
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: