Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New photos of my hauberk. (new photo: 12-09-2005) Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sun 27 Nov, 2005 6:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
G. Scott H. wrote:
Does anyone have any idea as to how to attach the leather to the mail? I'm thinking it might be feasible to just stitch it to the links with some of that super heavy duty leather thread (like the stuff that comes with a leather awl). Question

I'd probably use artificial sinew or heavy thread to attach the leather. Some mail garments are trimmed with rings of bronze (or some yellow non-ferrous metal of unknown composition). This may very well be for simple decoration, or it may be for the attachment of a leather liner or edging as bronze (or some yellow non-ferrous metal of unknown composition) doesn't corrode when it comes into prolonged contact with leather.

Quote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Mostly, the paperwork just got multiplied by a factor of ten with no impact on real crime.

Welcome to the wonderful world of gun control. Mad 99% of gun laws do one thing extremely well: they keep guns out of the hands of honest people... Mad (Sorry to get off topic, but this is something of a passion of mine, as guns are my other hobby.) Happy

Mine too, but what does that have to do with mail?

I actually have a large spool of artificial sinew around the house somewhere that I'd completely forgotten about (Woohoo!). Thanks for the suggestion, Patrick. Happy

As to my other comments, I should have responded to Jean via PM. Sorry. Happy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 07 Dec, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As requested by Chuck Russell here are photos of the rings I used for the alterations.

From left to right: solid flat ring, flat ring using a wedge rivet by Forth Armory, Flat ring using a wedge rivet by Get Dressed For Battle. All of these feature an inner diameter of 9.5mm.

A section of the completed hauberk showing all of the ring styles.
The original flat rings using round rivets can be seen in the upper right quadrant of the photo. In the center and center-right you can see some of the GDFB rings. In the lower half of the photo the FA and solid punched rings are visible.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tired of hearing about this yet?

Here's a photo fresh off the UB cable. Here I'm wearing my new braise and chausses from Revival Clothing. This is an interesting experience in "freedom". Eek! I've added another inch to the hauberk's skirt and am now satisfied with the length and the color of the rings now matches due to a vinegar treatment. I treated the new rings
before adding them to the skirt! As you can see I finally bowed to my inner authenti-nazi and removed the machine-made trim. Sad

Thanks go to the brave Mrs. Kelly for braving the sub-zero cold to man the shutter. Of course when she went back inside to get a coat I told her, "Quit being a girl, I'm fine."

Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
As you can see I finally bowed to my inner authenti-nazi and removed the machine-made trim.

ah shucks patrick, you didnt have to do it for lil ole me hahahaha jk

dude that kit is sweet. my hats off to ya man!!
Christian Henry Tobler

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Outstanding Patrick, simply outstanding.

All the best,

CHT

Christian Henry Tobler
Order of Selohaar

Freelance Academy Press: Books on Western Martial Arts and Historical Swordsmanship

Author, In Saint George's Name: An Anthology of Medieval German Fighting Arts
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

The Braies and chausses must be a bit strange ? A bit like wearing a kilt the genuine way maybe Question Razz Laughing Out Loud

Looks real good: Sounds, also, that the Braies and Chausses are very comfortable? I noticed this myself with the 14th century shoes being more comfortable than modern shoes.

Oh, I wear my Gambison around the house all the time as I find it very comfortable to sleep in as it keeps you warm on a cold night, but never seems to get too warm: Sort of a sensory dissonance I'm getting over as at first something this thick had to be
too warm and frankly that is how I perceived it early on ! Actually one can almost feel chilly wearing it without something really warm under or over it.

I'm going to have to buy another one that I can get dirty wearing maille or plate and one to wear around the house. Laughing Out Loud

( Don't want to wash it unless it get " stinky " because of sweat: A little dirt by wearing armour doesn't seem like real dirt if a gambison is used only as underarmour. If used under the covers as sleep wear that would mean having to launder the thing after every use with armour. So this is why I want a second one. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

In any case you need a good Gambison to complete your kit. A thin one maybe as you mentioned before.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

What does everyone think: leg wrapings or not?

I think it looks a bit more 'Norman' without them but I'm on the fence.

Sorry Chuck, you can't take full credit for the trim. I had this itch at the back of my head when I had my wife sew it on so I kind of knew it would come off anyway. Big Grin

Jean,
Now that my weight seems to be headed in the right direction I think a gambeson may be a good winter project.

Christian,
Thank you sir. That's a very nice compliment coming from someone like yourself.

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 10:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

To further illustrate the progression.....................

Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 11:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick, it's a phenominal piece of work and dedication if ever I did see one, this is a testament of one's passion resulting in an exemplary final completion in detail.

But I gotta ask ya, how are your eyes after all this? LOL!

You definitely have my Salute on This ONE!

WOW!

Bob
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Tired of hearing about this yet?

Here's a photo fresh off the UB cable. Here I'm wearing my new braise and chausses from Revival Clothing. This is an interesting experience in "freedom". Eek! I've added another inch to the hauberk's skirt and am now satisfied with the length and the color of the rings now matches due to a vinegar treatment. I treated the new rings
before adding them to the skirt! As you can see I finally bowed to my inner authenti-nazi and removed the machine-made trim. Sad

Thanks go to the brave Mrs. Kelly for braving the sub-zero cold to man the shutter. Of course when she went back inside to get a coat I told her, "Quit being a girl, I'm fine."

Great work Patrick, it looks brilliant. Happy

Last edited by Hisham Gaballa on Sat 10 Dec, 2005 3:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry, double post.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 3:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hisham Gaballa wrote:
Sorry, double post.

You are allowed to delete your posts if they are the last one in a topic. Simply hit the delete button near the "quote" and "edit" buttons to do so.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very impressive outfit, Patrick!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 6:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Patrick, it's a phenominal piece of work and dedication if ever I did see one, this is a testament of one's passion resulting in an exemplary final completion in detail.

But I gotta ask ya, how are your eyes after all this? LOL!

Thanks Bob! Remember years ago when you were into weight lifting. Do you remember how you felt when you saw progress for the first time? This project was the same way. When I finally started to see significant progress it fueled my motivation to keep going, and going, and going.............. Laughing Out Loud

The eyes are fine. Fortunately I'm near sighted. I tried working on it while wearing my bi-focals but that's just too irritating!

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 9:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gotta ask this question, Patrick - how many man-hours do you have into this project? Compiling your materials, assembly of maille alterations, gathering your other kit components (helm, big Johnsson, etc.)? In terms of calendar time, I know we must be talking at least a couple of years.
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 10:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Gotta ask this question, Patrick - how many man-hours do you have into this project? Compiling your materials, assembly of maille alterations, gathering your other kit components (helm, big Johnsson, etc.)? In terms of calendar time, I know we must be talking at least a couple of years.

Neat question, Steve! Judging from the photos and from discussions I've had with Patrick, I'll bet the number is pretty high - takes dedication and effort to put together something of this calibre. Something else to take notice of (and I'll give Patrick a good-natured hard time for) is that this is what... the 3rd or 4th time the hauberk has been "finished"? Thing is, these projects are NEVER finished. There is always some tweak, some adjustment, some refinement or addition, and even some repair work to be done. I happen to know for a fact, there is more coming down the line on this kit. Wink
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You bet Patrick, that I sure can relate to, back in the younger days. It's a beautiful piece of work and a whole lot to be proud of!

Bob
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 4:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice kit! If you don't mind me asking (wouldn't want you to give away all your secrets), where did you get the shirt you're wearing underneath the maille. The one with the Anglo-Saxon design on the trim?

Also in reference to a previous comment, I was thinking of splinted greaves/vambraces and spaulders as well as the maille, but apparantley it's not particularly accurate to your reconstruction.

Why don't you wear your Spectacle helm? It'd be an interesting comparison. Although I'm not sure how good it would look painted... Big Grin
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 8:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison,

The tunic was made by my wife, as was the dress she's wearing here.

Unfortunately I've had to remove the trim for the sake of accuracy. It's a shame since it's neat looking trim but far too modern looking in it's construction. I'm going to have my wife make me another tunic. For the last few months I've been on some new medication. One of the pleasant side effects is that it has increased my muscle mass by quite a bit. I almost feel as if I'm lifting weights again. Big Grin When we made this tunic we made the upper sleeves a bit too tight. The increased mass in my upper body has made the thing far tighter than it should be and there's no room for expansion. I think I'll go with some tablet woven trim on the next one, if anything.

Yes, the Gjermunbu helm would look very cool with this get-up. Unfortunately (in this respect) it fits my head perfectly so there's no hope of squeezing it down over the coif. I had planned on also using this hauberk for my viking kit but I think it's looking a bit too 11th century. I'll have to buy another shorter byrnie style shirt eventually.

Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sat 10 Dec, 2005 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
For the last few months I've been on some new medication. One of the pleasant side effects is that it has increased my muscle mass by quite a bit.

Heh, I could use some of that, no time to work out with all of these exams... Worried

I'm very impressed with your wifes' work. I guess I'll just hope my sister becomes a good seamstress over the summer. Big Grin

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New photos of my hauberk. (new photo: 12-09-2005)
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: