Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Generation 2 swords reviewed Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 
R. Kolick

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I have to say this kind of approach always makes me scratch my head. It really strikes me as false economy. I've never owned a top end sports car, but I don't have to do so to realize they'd leave my vehicle in the dust. I wouldn't have to spend time with a paint by numbers set to know my results wouldn't compare to something hanging in the Met. Buying inferior products doesn't lead to an appreciation of quality in and of itself. If a decision is based on economic limitations or simply a lack of desire to own anything better that's fine (these things are only curiosities after all), but masking it with false logic is a bit pointless.

now i understand where you’re coming from but if you start with the most expensive piece you can find that alone doesn’t make it good staying with the car example yes a top end sports car will leave most other cars in the dust but I’ve been in $100,000 Mercedes a few years ago and within the week a Shelby gt 500 worth $60,000 and the Shelby handled better and was faster than the Mercedes but was worth less what i was trying to get at was that if you start with a lower priced product yes you may get a decent sword and it may not be as good as an Albion or an A&A but you learn when you buy a new better sword what better quality is like so when you buy another sword you can judge for yourself whether it is worth the money instead of just going by another person’s opinion now i understand that companies that have had years to create better and better swords can consistently make good swords so this doesn’t apply to them so much as rising companies who may have swords of high quality but because they don’t have a reputation of Albion or any number of other factors have lower prices so I’m not saying that you can’t tell good quality when you see it just that you it lets you more objectively judge the sword for yourself now your entitled to your own views but that’s the view I’ve come to from my own personal experience
Brandt Giese

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R Kolick can you give me examples of new upstart companies that are as good or close to Albion for less cost? I would love to support an upstart company but the quality needs to be there and they must be from a free nation.
Greg Ballantyne

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After reading all the posts on this tread I believe I can honestly say my comments won't add much, but I do think I represent a slice of the target market in the Gen2 price range. While I could well afford a high end custom product, I have not chosen to buy a sword much above the $300 price range. I just don't know enough about them, nor do I know enough about my own interest in them to justify a greater expenditure when I can identify a number of other interests competing for that money. Buying the lower end swords however feeds both my knowledge and interest, and likely will lead me to more expensive ventures into this realm. I have only two swords, the first a DSA Claymore (1 1/2 yrs. ago) and the second a Gen2 River Witham. While both carried the same purchase price, the Gen2 is obviously the better of the two with regard to workmanship, feel, and fit and finish. While I wait to see what I'll do next, I enjoy learning more, mainly on this website. Without products in this price range I might never have made the plunge, which would have been a real shame as much fun as it has been.
William Swiger

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Sun 20 May, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have had a vast number of swords over the last several years. My current collection now is for the most part Albion, A&A,, and customs. I have kept a small number of lower end swords that I am attached to. These are very good offerings that still make me not want to sell them. Are they Albion or A&A equals - no, but they are still good swords. One sword in particular that stands out is the newer model Kris Cutlery Teutonic Sword. The stats on KOA still list the previous version and not the new one. This is the best lower end sword I have ever purchased. I did a leather wrap over the cord and it handles and looks as nice as some of the swords I own that is twice the price or more. May not be 100% historical but it is well done.

Gen2/LA needs to up their game as the market is moving past them. I own a few of their models and they are sturdy beaters and take the place of my higher end swords to practice with. Acceptable for the sub 300 market.
J.D. Crawford

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 21 May, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think more objective reviews of lower-end swords from knowledgeable people could only be a good thing. First because, lets face it, a lot more people buy lower end swords than higher end ones, and because the variabilty of quality at the lower end is much higher than at the higher end. I've never read a review of an Albion that concluded 'poor finish, not very historical...'! Whereas two $200 swords might be miles apart in terms of quality.

My sword-buying experience is similar to William's. At the moment I buy custom swords, but there was a time when I needed to buy lower end swords and it was sometimes very frustrating when people advised me to save up for better swords. Although the advice was well meaning, it does not fit every circumstances. It would have fit when I was a young single guy (I remember saving for two years to buy a Gibson electric guittar), but life has many phases. There was a time in my life, as university student supporting a family on a scholarship, when buying a music CD was a huge splurge. A 200 dollar sword would have been out of the question; that money was need for food and rent. There was another period that lasted years, not so long ago, when I had to pay the equivalent of a couple of Albions a month on legal fees. I would buy a low-end sword on impulse every few months to cheer myself up. God bless lower end swords!

Taking Patrick's analogy further, we buy 'Car and Driver' for the vicarious thrill of the farrari review, but in reality their review of the latest minivans is likely more useful to most of us. Moreover, the minivan is far superior in terms of grocery shopping and picking up kids from school! Car and Driver reviews both types of vehical, and wisely compares sports cars to sports cars and minivans to minivans. I think the sword world can do the same; and that it is possible to educate people on what is historically correct in a way that does not disrespect their personal situation and limitations.

I've been wanting to get that out of my system for some time!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Generation 2 swords reviewed
Page 3 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: